maybe
6 15%
i don't know
4 10%
can you repeat the question
8 21%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
my ideal job would be to play with one of the big-name worship bands. or even to be worship director at a high-budget church body. but to get into that kind of field it is very much advised you have a proper degree. and yeah i know worship ministry is not lucrative i just want to make a living and get out of my parent's house.

i currently have 3 semesters of college that i have taken and need approximately 2 more (yeah i know my credits are weird) to finish up the sophomore program at my local college. if i were to transfer to another college where i could actually get a proper worship ministry degree i would probably need to take even more freshman/sophomore classes to get their full program degree.

another idea is to go to a trade school. doing repair work like what i have been doing at the music store seems to be an okay idea but i really do not want to have the live off of such a job. even if i learned more about amps and circuitry i still would not really want to do it.

a chap who i am close with says i should go back to school. saying something of the sort that people will not hire you, especially in the fields i want to go in, without a degree. parents and some other people say that too, mostly ones who are 30+.

however i also hear that people value experience more than the degree. there is a lot of conflicting advice for millennials involving jobs, career paths, and school.

rn i am working 3 days a week at the music store and 3 days every other week at the church building. i make okay money for what i do but of course it is not enough to support myself.

what do you suggest, pit? whatever the poll says by majority will be what i do.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 12, 2016,
What do you study?
worship
ok see you
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
how do you even get a degree in worship?

religious studies/history I can see, but worship?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Finish up your sophomore year so you at least have a basic AA. School beyond that seems ill-advised in your case.

They say it's "advised" that you have a degree, but it shouldn't be necessary as you can self-teach yourself what you need to know, and there is no point in racking up any unnecessary debt.

If you show initiative you should be able to get a starting job with the church and work your way up from there.
Quote by Will Lane at #33774023
if i were to transfer to another college where i could actually get a proper worship ministry degree

That should be your priority. You don't want some half-ass worship degree that nobody will take seriously.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Will a degree really help you in worship ministry? If it were my decision, I'd pursue a degree in music 'cause then at least you have more uses for that should you change your mind or something.
Free Ali
Free Lard
tl;dr I just voted for whatever. Glad I could help you with such an important life decision.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 12, 2016,
Quote by roger
i voted for "can you repeat the question".
should i go back to school or nah?

my ideal job would be to play with one of the big-name worship bands. or even to be worship director at a high-budget church body. but to get into that kind of field it is very much advised you have a proper degree. and yeah i know worship ministry is not lucrative i just want to make a living and get out of my parent's house.

i currently have 3 semesters of college that i have taken and need approximately 2 more (yeah i know my credits are weird) to finish up the sophomore program at my local college. if i were to transfer to another college where i could actually get a proper worship ministry degree i would probably need to take even more freshman/sophomore classes to get their full program degree.

another idea is to go to a trade school. doing repair work like what i have been doing at the music store seems to be an okay idea but i really do not want to have the live off of such a job. even if i learned more about amps and circuitry i still would not really want to do it.

a chap who i am close with says i should go back to school. saying something of the sort that people will not hire you, especially in the fields i want to go in, without a degree. parents and some other people say that too, mostly ones who are 30+.

however i also hear that people value experience more than the degree. there is a lot of conflicting advice for millennials involving jobs, career paths, and school.

rn i am working 3 days a week at the music store and 3 days every other week at the church building. i make okay money for what i do but of course it is not enough to support myself.

i grew up in church and worship music and playing in bands at churches lol

a worship degree can (*can* not *Will*) help you work for a christian production company that tours christian bands and that can be fun if that's what you're into and in the right instances it can pay decently

more likely is that if you don't know the right people you'll be stuck as a sound guy at church who gets no pay at all and you'll really be folding clothes at old navy
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I would say save your money and just start worshipping at bars, open mics, local fairs/talent shows, etc to build your fanbase and then if you work hard enough you will be recognized and maybe even signed to a local church
I voted yes, just under the pretense of picking up chicks.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I would say save your money and just start worshipping at bars,

I can recommend this. I worship at the bar several times a week and it always leaves me with the greatest feeling.
Quote by Will Lane

Bad way to plan your life. Almost as bad as "letting god guide you".

Anyway, I've never heard anybody say "I wish I wasn't so educated." Get a degree, but I'd suggest getting an actual degree in a real world field. "Worship" won't really qualify you for a whole lot of jobs once you finally find out there is no god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyVvyxu0-s
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Jan 12, 2016,
is a worship degree the same as a bachelor in theology? like the ones
religious scholars get from weird places like Saudi universities or BYU?

I think a music education would be better for what you want. but idk how getting into a worship band works.
Quote by slipknot5678
is a worship degree the same as a bachelor in theology? like the ones
religious scholars get from weird places like Saudi universities or BYU?

I think a music education would be better for what you want. but idk how getting into a worship band works.
neither do i that is the main problem, really.
Dude, just go to whatever church you go to and say, hey I play guitar, I want to be in the band. They'll audition you, probe you to make sure you're still a virgin, and decide.

If your religion requires you to have a degree to play guitar for them, have you considered it may actually be a business?
Last edited by TheChaz at Jan 13, 2016,
Quote by TheChaz at #33774133
I can recommend this. I worship at the bar several times a week and it always leaves me with the greatest feeling.

Round of shots for our lord and savior.
Quote by TheChaz
They'll audition you, probe you to make sure you're still a virgin, and decide.

Like Joan of Arc...but that didn't turn out well.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The German words for "ought" and "owe" are etymologically similar. Translation: don't get into debt for a career if you don't really need to
Sell drugs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Sell drugs.

I am horrible at this. I eat them on accident and everybody gets mad at me.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Or hookers and blow.

I don't pay for sex though, so I guess it's just blow.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Pimping ain't easy. Wait, yeah it is!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
For gods' sake, don't get a degree in worship. Get a degree in electricity, because that will cover you with at least two gods I know of.

Edit: 3! I totally forgot about Raiden.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The fuck is a 'worship degree'

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
The fuck is a 'worship degree'

Something that private "Christian Universities" will charge the fuck out of someone for.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity_(academic_discipline)

from a certain perspective I can kind of see the point of these degrees but even then it only makes sense for a select few people so idk. (I'm imagining those people who go to religious universities where they study and debate scripture and then become teachers and usually write really liberal books on their religion lol. makes about as much sense as many humanities degrees if my perception of this is correct at all. still I think it could be flawed if it gives the sense of having to pay to study your religion by higher ups or w/e)

I try to respect everyone's degree but the family studies one at byu is a legit chalenge in that regard and worse than this imo
Quote by slipknot5678
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinity_(academic_discipline)

from a certain perspective I can kind of see the point of these degrees but even then it only makes sense for a select few people so idk. (I'm imagining those people who go to religious universities where they study and debate scripture and then become teachers and usually write really liberal books on their religion lol. makes about as much sense as many humanities degrees if my perception of this is correct at all. still I think it could be flawed if it gives the sense of having to pay to study your religion by higher ups or w/e)

I try to respect everyone's degree but the family studies one at byu is a legit chalenge in that regard and worse than this imo

You're thinking of theology where they actually take an academic, rational approach to studying religion and god in a philosophical sense. It's a legitimate degree although a bit biased and probably inferior to a degree in philosophy in the long run.

I looked at a few 'worship' courses and they look like religious fanaticism with zero academic value. Some of them are almost cult like to be honest. They remind me of those New Age 'getting in touch with the cosmic energy flow' lectures I see being advertised every so often.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Yeah, talking on the serious, do not waste your money going to an unaccredited private university for a "worship" degree.

If your goal in life is to play for one of the "big name worship bands," believe me, they're not looking for someone with a degree. They're looking for someone who can sight read sheet music, improvise for 8-16 bars, and can play in front of a live audience. They basically want a session musician. Your time and money would be better spent in a music performance program. You'll better learn the skills you need for the job you want, and you won't be left with a completely useless degree if that doesn't work out for you. You could go do session work or something at least.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You're thinking of theology where they actually take an academic, rational approach to studying religion and god in a philosophical sense. It's a legitimate degree although a bit biased and probably inferior to a degree in philosophy in the long run.

I looked at a few 'worship' courses and they look like religious fanaticism with zero academic value. Some of them are almost cult like to be honest. They remind me of those New Age 'getting in touch with the cosmic energy flow' lectures I see being advertised every so often.

yeah. and I guess some Christian denominations require these type of degrees for ministry work which will lane kind of mentioned. moral of the story none of these will get you where you want to go.
so your asking a whole bunch of people to decide for you? people who dont know you, people you dont know? really are you?
how about taking responsibility for your own decisions?
tho i must say, thats very typical of religious folks not to take responsibility for their own lives and leave it in the hands of their invisible sky daddy
Last edited by TommyNuts at Jan 13, 2016,
Quote by TommyNuts
so your asking a whole bunch of people to decide for you? people who dont know you, people you dont know? really are you?
tho i must say, thats very typical of religious folks not to take responsibility for their own lives and leave it in the hands of their invisible sky daddy

ohohohooo
Quote by TommyNuts

Oh snap
I am at university and I can say that is waste of time, money and people are fucking stupid. You better look for some electrician course or stuff like this. And remember NOBODY CARES!
Last edited by binadra1234 at Jan 13, 2016,
Page 1 of 2