Page 1 of 2
I hear equipment being referred to as giggable, and I'm not entirely sure of what that constitutes. My general understanding with amps is that its either powerful enough for a concert, if not mic'd at the venue. Guitars I'm not as clear on. I doubt I'll be playing live anytime soon, but it's been nagging me, so why not ask.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
A precise definition might vary, but I would suggest:

Able to be heard over a drummer and fill a modest sized room without a PA (amps)
Able to take abuse that comes from travel/Reliable (guitars and amps)
I think it comes up the most with the output of amplifiers and I think the general consensus is the ability to keep up with a drummer.

It's one of those words where you have to pay attention to the context in which it is used more than anything.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Looks like the amp definition is covered.

For guitars I read this as having reliable non-shitty hardware and setup. You really don't want to go out of tune during every song, have a cheap tuner break, burs in your saddles that constantly cuts strings, etc. Make sure the all the switches and knobs work without static and crackling.

So always have a backup guitar and please use a tuner that mutes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I usually chalk that up to being reliable and rugged enough for live use, also not so expensive (boutique) that you'll cry if it gets stolen. For a while the definition of Peavey (speakers, guitars, amps, PA gear) was exactly that
+1 for all of the above. Though I wouldn't use it to describe guitars, I use the word "player", meaning it plays good, sounds good, functions properly and reliably...its not a piece of shit/toy. A Squier can be a pos or a "player" (aka giggable), in my book.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
+1 for all of the above. Though I wouldn't use it to describe guitars, I use the word "player", meaning it plays good, sounds good, functions properly and reliably...its not a piece of shit/toy. A Squier can be a pos or a "player" (aka giggable), in my book.

+1 I agree, which is why I avoided talking about guitars. Really any guitar without serious faults can be used to gig.

I would also say the same about an amp as well. I honestly don't think there are many amps out there that couldn't be used for some gig. Sure, a 15 watt SS amp is probably gonna be completely drowned out by a drummer, but I bet it would work fine in a coffee shop gig with no drummer. To me the word 'giggable' is almost pointless and really only refers to an amp that is loud enough not to be totally drowned out by the average drummer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I haven't heard people use "giggable" to describe guitars much at all, and with amps usually it's clear that it is in the context of their own needs, usually involving headroom, portability, etc.

As always, context is important and if there were just one definition that covered the word, it would be in the dictionary and you wouldn't have to ask. There's no set of constraints that makes a piece of gear giggable or not giggable. Some obvious and glaring things (weighing half a ton, insurance clause, can't be heard over a severe whisper, bursts into flame under stage lights, etc) might rule gear out of some live situations, but in general most halfway decent gear can and is used onstage.
Quote by metalmingee
Looks like the amp definition is covered.

For guitars I read this as having reliable non-shitty hardware and setup. You really don't want to go out of tune during every song, have a cheap tuner break, burs in your saddles that constantly cuts strings, etc. Make sure the all the switches and knobs work without static and crackling.

So always have a backup guitar and please use a tuner that mutes.

+1

The reliability thing for a guitar is key. If you're using actives, get a fresh battery in for the gig. Same for pedals if you haven't got a power supply.

And the spare guitar. Noone wants to hear your singer's crappy standup routine, or a bass solo, so a spare guitar in case of string breakages can be a life saver.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
+1 to all of the above. It does vary with the text of the conversation. I think of "gigable" as very reliable and works in most any situation. I also agree with the idea that for me that word also describes something that is not fragile or particularly very valuable. Something that can be replaced without tears if it disappears or is damaged.

A perfect example would be the Ibanez Les Paul that I bought new in early 1977 to take on the road after a bad road experience with my Gibson Les Paul. In the long run the Ibanez turned out to be an exceptional guitar but it got nicked, chipped and well worn from the many road trips it took (and I am leaving it that way). It was a "gigable" alternative to my Gibson LP and still sounds great.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 13, 2016,
It also goes for pedals. That's why I don't buy Behringer pedals. They feel to fragile. I have the feeling that if you stomp on them with a bit too much force (which easily happens during a gig) it will break.

Stuff like EHX pedals with there big buttons and aluminium cases aren't that much more expensive, but way more 'giggable'.
Giggable is obviously a variable concept (see Roc8995's comments, above).

I've heard it applied to gear that's just beat up enough (or cheap enough) that it's not going to be purchased as stay-at-home trophies but is still in good enough shape to work for a living. I've also heard it applied to gear that's practical, sturdy, relatively uncomplicated, etc.
Thanks for the input. I just ran across someone saying how it was stupid to bring a $2,000 guitar to a $75 gig, and that seems to fit the general idea I'm getting here: being practical for the venue.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by bjgrifter
Thanks for the input. I just ran across someone saying how it was stupid to bring a $2,000 guitar to a $75 gig, and that seems to fit the general idea I'm getting here: being practical for the venue.

I'm not sure that's it at all. I'd bring a $2000 guitar to a free gig if that's the one I wanted to play.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Nothing will get stolen if you don't lerave your gear unattended. When setting up/tearing down, make sure that you have a person you trust at both ends, so nothing is left unattended.

I remember once my buddy left his bass sitting and some other guy walks up and grabs it. I just about went apeshit on his face and he says "oh sorry I thought this was the other bands bass"

Didn't see him around after that.

Remember, it only takes someone about half a minute to grab something and dip out.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I started off with Music Man when I was gigging with my last band, then later on went with an Ibanez ($400 used) and a Kramer V ($250 new backup). Those guitars pretty much stayed throughout.
As far as amps, I made sure I can carry all my valuables in one trip so I went for a rack 6 space setup, preamp and tube power amp, that was in one hand, the Ibanez in the other for shows where there was noone to watch the gear. Nothing got nicked, we even had our drummer leave our rehearsal room wide open for 4 days
Quote by bjgrifter

Yeah, he probably doesn't have one to take
I don't think that was implied here. Sure, people said that some 'lower end' guitars are fine for gigs but I don't think anyone said you should only use those.
Quote by bjgrifter

I dunno about "stupid." I personally see it in about the same light as driving your Ferrari down to the 99 Cent mart to pick up a loaf of bread, but I guess a Ferrari is meant to be driven, you know?

I have a pair of $200 Agile LP-style guitars that are my "bar" guitars. The $200 figure is what I paid for them (used in one case, B-stock in another). Bars are, by definition, the most likely place to find people under the affluence of incohol. My experience is that your gear and your person are subject to the slinging of any number of adult beverages and bodily fluids by folks with less than impeccable control of muscles OR sphincters. I can get a $200 guitar to play great and sound good, and the economic consequences of replacing one of those are far less significant than that $2000 guitar.

There IS something to be said for practicality.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 13, 2016,
A musician is somebody who loads $5K worth of equipment into a $2K car to drive to a $50 gig. Isn't that the normal way to do it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A musician is somebody who loads $5K worth of equipment into a $2K car to drive to a $50 gig. Isn't that the normal way to do it?

That certainly describes a lot of MY efforts.
Or do the Blues Brothers: drink more than the gig and end up owing?
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by Cathbard
A musician is somebody who loads $5K worth of equipment into a $2K car to drive to a $50 rehearsal surrounded by drunks.

FTFY
reliable, gets the job done, and is easily replaceable at your budget.

you keep the best stuff at home or in the studio.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
So far, the Schecter Demon 7 (under $500 new) is the only thing that's gotten me to drool over, so I'm cheap. I mean, I have tried a Fender Strat and understand why it costs 3x the price my Bullet Squire does. I'd rather screw up the Squire than the Fender. It's also easier to pick up a victim for experiments at a pawn shop like those.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by Cathbard

So very true. Looking at my last functioning band, we probably had 15k in gear and 5k in cars between us ☺
Quote by bjgrifter
I hear equipment being referred to as giggable, and I'm not entirely sure of what that constitutes. My general understanding with amps is that its either powerful enough for a concert, if not mic'd at the venue. Guitars I'm not as clear on. I doubt I'll be playing live anytime soon, but it's been nagging me, so why not ask.

A "Giggable" guitar only requires the following characteristics:

1) has proper intonation
2) stays in tune relatively well.
3) has no major electronics issues

This means even a Squier can be a giggable instrument.

On the subject of amps, most amps are actually way too loud for most venues - a tube amp with 15 watts is more than enough for small or medium venue, even a Blues Junior from Fender is fine for small venues. If anything, the main complaint from soundmen the world over is the guitar amp being way too loud for the stage, which screws the entire stage sound. Large concert venues are irrelevant for amp considerations because any venue large enough to require that much wattage will be micing your amp and using it's sound system for volume. I gigged with a 30 watt tube amp and never even came close to maxing it out at any show, be it a bar or a Festival stage.
SuperChamp XD - seen it gigged.
VOX AD15 - seen it gigged.
Line 6 Spider Valve - seen it gigged, and it sounds pretty bad ass not gonna lie.
Marshall MG 100 DFX - seen it gigged, heard it momentarily before leaving. the pteradactyl was beating the bees at that point.

countless squiers - seen them gigged. in fact, the best guitarist i have ever known would only gig squiers because of their durability and lack of expense. RIP Igor.

we can hound over what it really means, but it's different to each person.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I gig with a Squier tele and I own a few guitars. I upgraded all the hardware and pups and stuck a Fender sticker on the headstock. I get lots of compliments on it from other guitarists - who are always surprised when I tell them that it's actually an upgraded Squier.

As far as amps go, IMO "giggable" just means that you can hear it on stage over the drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by reverb66
On the subject of amps, most amps are actually way too loud for most venues

I'd say turned up way too loud, that's what the volume control is for
It depends though, because I can gig with my 20W Micro Terror not mic'd in most places. Granted i'm going into a 4X12.
Cry yourself to ash
i don't buy expensive guitars really. i top out at around $2k (less used). i gig with what i like as far as guitars go. ususally i just bring my beat to shit gibson LP every time i play out. its beat but it stays in tune forever (for a LP), feels good, sounds good (490r/500t) and is really all i need.

for amps, i show up with something different every time. usually its just an orange dual terror with a 2x12" and a small pedalboard. not a lot invested, but i can get from blues to deathcore with it and some pedals, and its easy to bring around.

however i like my 100 watt tube heads and 4x12"s most, but i haven't bought them out for a while. if i get the opportunity to use them i ALWAYS do, i don't have a problem hauling a big rig around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I used my Triaxis + Racktifier stereo rack rig with 3 cabs at small bars and small stages before, with 2 PRS singlecuts. Giggable to me is being able use the best gear for the job
Quote by Vampire_State
It depends though, because I can gig with my 20W Micro Terror not mic'd in most places. Granted i'm going into a 4X12.

I don't think the 4x12 makes a huge difference in overall volume; you've only got 5W per speaker, after all.
Quote by Paroxysm
I used my Triaxis + Racktifier stereo rack rig with 3 cabs at small bars and small stages before, with 2 PRS singlecuts. Giggable to me is being able use the best gear for the job

You've got the Triaxis running into what, specifically? And what three cabinets?

And what are you using as a backup for your rack rig?
2 vertical 2x12 Mesa with my Triaxis powered by the 2:90 for stereo cleans and leads and 1 4x12 with the Rackifier for dry heavy rhythm and dirty breakup.

I didnt have a backup of my own unless I count my 2x12 5150 (never bother to bring it along); but I never had a problem with my gear aside from carrying 500 lbs worth of shit, setting it up and tearing it down

For small bars I never bother with stereo and just bring my smaller rack with just a Triaxis, 2:90, G-Major 2, and 1 4x12
Last edited by Paroxysm at Jan 18, 2016,
Quote by Paroxysm
2 vertical 2x12 Mesa with my Triaxis powered by the 2:90 for stereo cleans and leads and 1 4x12 with the Rackifier for dry heavy rhythm and dirty breakup.

I didnt have a backup of my own unless I count my 2x12 5150 (never bother to bring it along); but I never had a problem with my gear aside from carrying 500 lbs worth of shit, setting it up and tearing it down

For small bars I never bother with stereo and just bring my smaller rack with just a Triaxis, 2:90, G-Major 2, and 1 4x12

Ooof. I remember setups like that. I've had a Triaxis (it's pretty much retired) and the Carvin Quad-X for years. Those two have about fourteen 12AX7 tubes between them. I have a 2:90 (long since retired) and a same-power big Marshall tube power amp, but used the Carvin TS-100 (50W/50W) for the most part.

Used to cart around a pair of 4x12s as well.

These days it's a modeler, footboard, 9 lb 1500W power amp and either one or two under-50 lb cabinets. There's a spare modeler, spare footboard, spare power amp in the car, and a pair of Variax JTV-89Fs (one's the backup) or the Korg keyboards.

Small bars sometimes get the 50W Carvin Belair, a floor modeler and a pair of Agile LPs with Floyds.
I used to run with a pair of 4x12s with a splawn promod and a splawn nitro (one on each side) in dual mono, with a small pedalboard and a pair of Wolfgangs or ibanez prestiges.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I retired my Triaxis/290/Racktifier rig too, sold them actually along with my cabs since I havent play in a band or gig in almost two years. Sold all of my rack gear as well.

Now I'm just using my Road King II combo, a Nova Delay and a BBE Green Screamer at home. A LOT simpler
Quote by dspellman
I don't think the 4x12 makes a huge difference in overall volume; you've only got 5W per speaker, after all.

....that isn't how that works.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
....that isn't how that works.

Now you're going to tell me that there's a HUGE difference in volume because there are now FOUR speakers moving ALL THAT AIR, aren't you?

Okay, I've got four 4x12s (wait, actually...five) and have had them for years (except the fifth one).

I've run everything from a 5W Epi Valve Jr to a 275W 1971 Carvin solid state to a stack of 100W EL34 and 6L6 tube amps through them, either singly or in pairs.
I have a very good Real Time Analyzer sitting here.

Explain to me "how that works."
Page 1 of 2