I find I play a lot of similar riffs to previous songs or artists that I like when trying to make a song, I'll think it is my idea originally but time down the road I hear the part in a song and I'm like oh yeah that's where I got that from, it's like I don't know what my style is fully, like a guitar mid life crisis.

I made a song and then moved onto another one. One of the 2nd songs' riffs had one similar to the my main riff on the 1st song, different style, not the same riff, but the same notes and picking(chug) pattern.

Thoughts or advice?
Different tunings? Or put restrictions on yourself, for example mozart used to roll dice to choose certain notes and note lengths, then he would construct melodies out of the random mix that he had.
I honestly don't know how I could help you with that. But one way is to learn about theory for sure. If everything you know comes from learning riffs and songs, then you will use that. But theory is more fundamental, and all songs sort of work around that, so if you learn that, then it's the basics of how notes relate, without timing or specific order, which is a lot to do with why your stuff sounds the same.

Quote by Stonesatreyu
Different tunings? Or put restrictions on yourself, for example mozart used to roll dice to choose certain notes and note lengths, then he would construct melodies out of the random mix that he had.

I wouldn't consider that as a way that mozart would work around sameness, but more of a parlour trick to showoff his ability. It's also kind of telling about what music is. There aren't that many notes, in reality. What makes something great or not, is the timing and how they are arranged. So you can take quite a lot of random information and make something cool with it.

Just like someone could spin a color wheel, and then you could make a cool painting with those. But you could just as easily make a poor painting with those.

So, someone that can take random stuff like that, and make something great, is something that has a good level of creativity and flexible ability. They can adapt to many situations. Whereas another composer might follow rules, and some sort of theory, and if you give them random stuff, they won't be able to apply their methodology and will be lost.