I'm not sure if this is a topic that has been done to death already, I feel like it might be but I don't really care (I did use the searchbar but it doesn't work for shit).

So, how do you personally keep tabs on new music? Do you keep an eye on some good labels, do you have some good news sites to check or do you just google "new metal albums/bands 2016" every few days? I'm just curious how people keep up with the news. I know there are some youtube channels, probably some blogs and maybe even more legitimate news sites for this purpose but I'm kind of out of the loop here. Maybe this'll even make for an interesting discussion.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I just wait for someone here to post new stuff. Sometimes I find stuff on the Nuclear War Now forums, but I find their taste in music is hit or miss.
Why bother keeping up with new releases when you've not even heard most of the old ones?

Just sit on Discogs for hours on end and engage your borderline autism. It's great fun.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Jan 13, 2016,
Quote by eazy-c
Why bother keeping up with new releases when you've not even heard most of the old ones?

Just sit on Discogs for hours on end and engage your borderline autism. It's great fun.

This is good advice. Remember, ya can't spell autism without "U".

But naw, I just follow record labels on FB and look through /r/metal's new releases thread for new stuff.
i mostly wake up after a lot of drinking with random notes on my phone as to new bands or records I discovered while intoxicated, so I cannot clearly answer you.
Quote by Kytokinesis
I generally just wait for severed to post a list.

I pretty much do the same thing, haha. I recently discovered Blood Incantation from one of his recent posts.

I also trust autothrall.

http://autothrall.blogspot.com/
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
A lot of helpful tips here I have to ask Severed how he finds all of that stuff someday.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by stefan_86
Metal Archives list of upcoming releases is great for metal: http://www.metal-archives.com/release/upcoming

last.fm has also helped me find heaps of good stuff in varying genres.

What, I've been using MA for years and I've never realized that they have a section like that. Could be useful.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
I mostly found new stuff which interested me (which is usually newer albums of older bands and a few newer bands) on here...

There is tonnes of older stuff still to sift through and more thn half my life is probably over
I've been asked this so many times over the years on this board...

Zines, labels and Thank You notes from old records.

And with my ears. Generally sift through old stuff before the new. But with modern day label tactics new stuff is literally thrown at you like commercials on a TV screen so if you have trouble finding it, I don't know what to tell you.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Kevätuhri
A lot of helpful tips here I have to ask Severed how he finds all of that stuff someday.

To answer your question seriously, this is all you need know about our methods:

Quote by Born Headless
we use the Sword of Omens. It gives us sight beyond sight.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Blogs mostly. Forums. Zines. Labels. Like VampireGoldfish said, things are practically thrown at you. There are some good black metal blogs.

Ultimately it's up to you how much effort you want to put into it. What you see of my lists on the forum require me to go through my personal folder of 201X releases and then remembering "oh yeah this was one was cool." Then I go onto metal-archives and sort through the entire year list of releases (demos/ep/full-lengths) and see what I missed, basically it. It takes a bit of time but I find out about some really good stuff that I otherwise would have missed.
Quote by kirkisking
severed's lists are the be-all, end-all of lists

thank you kirk I appreciate your guacomolean input
Well, I am a lazy person so that might explain a lot of things

I'm not even sure if I should ask how the Sword of Omens relates to metal releases.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail