And give examples! There are not in chronological order of when I was introduced to them. Have fun with how you describe and list the techniques you have adopted from other artists!

The first one is not exactly a song but a compilation of small licks in the style of many Jazz artists. The second lick, in the style of Greg Howe, is one that I thought sounded very neat, particularly because of the exaggerated vibrato. I love adding that in, especially because my guitars are all hard-tail (I want a strat-style soon).

This one may be considered more "word of mouth" or influence just from someone's legacy, but in my playing I also use octaves to spice up chords or lead playing, very much popularized by Wes Montgomery.

At about 2:30 in, this solo is one of the first P&W songs to really confuse me and make me double-take the music. LB's solo was nothing like I had heard before, because the licks sounded so original. Keep in mind that all I had heard at this time (approximately 2008) were the blues-rock licks of the 70's-80's and the simplistic nature of chordal P&W music. He also caused me to look back on the music (and this time I had to slow the solo down and practice it quite a lot) in this track, around 2:03.

Daniel Carson of the Chris Tomlin band helped to show me how simplistic riffs could be fun to play, and how they can support the song rather than distracting the listener to the guitar player. In this track you can hear a U2-esque riff in the chorus. And then for this track I heard something of the sort again in the chorus, which led me to develop a chord-shape I call the "Daniel Carson", although I used to call it the "Chris Tomlin" until I knew that DC was the main guitarist. Also he added in a very bendy solo, and some massive octaves in the last chorus. The shape is just an octave 5th and 8th on top of each other, essentially making an inverted power chord, but placed on the higher strings. For an E5, it looks like X-X-9-9-12-12, and is shown somewhat in this video at 3:58. It is a really versatile chord shape because you can modify it extensively without moving the position of your hand. For instance, X-X-9-9-9-11 is an inverted Emaj7. Add some .8 delay and you have easy access to full sounding lead lines. DC is probably the most influential guitarist to me.

This solo starting at 1:56 really intrigued me and gives me that facial snarl we all know when we hear something good. Misha is wondrous at writing solos that break the traditional mold of blues-rock licks and creating something original. Yet this solo still has a jazzy, blues-y feel to it. Particularly the emphasis on the 7th/8th dissonance is something I use quite often in my solos and chords. The flat 7th to natural 7th lick right at the end of the first half of the solo is something I use almost verbatim in my solos still today.

At 2:45 in this track, Jesse Cash invoked that facial snarl again with that solo, which I still cannot play properly to this day. But again, I love the break from traditional solo molds, prevalent in this track and other tracks from ERRA, using melodic motifs and completely natural notes to build a beautiful solo.

Lastly, Satriani's use of the Whammy pedal in "Searching" was the first time I thought, "I have to know what that effect is and I have to have it!" I had never heard a guitar sound like that before. Now any multi-effects I get (I use them in effects-loop for delays and reverb, primarily) has to have a proper whammy function on it. Using the whammy is my go-to effect for catching peoples attention and making them think, "what was that!", as I thought all those years ago. I also use it immediately after a harmonic string rake, as if my guitar glitches.
Hmmmm. The biggest thing to improve my play was learning alternating bass. Started to really get that "down" when trying to learn "Don't Think Twice-It's Alright" by Dylan. Practiced it so much that I've gotten comfortable with fingerstyle.

"House of the Rising Sun", Animals version, introduced me to arpeggios via the plectrum, but since switching to fingerstyle I've adapted to fingerpicking the arpeggios, which has helped with other things as well.

Now I'm experimenting with other ways. Mixing the fingerpicking with strums, partial strums, etc. I want to get a fuller sound than fingerstyle alone can afford, at least at my skill level.
Heartbreaker, Led Zeppelin.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
Early Zeppelin and Rolling Stones stuff like Moby Dick and Paint it Black really shaped my playing as it made me get the bluesy playing of Zep and melodic Rolling Stones incorporate that into my own sound.

I was really into the Police and Aerosmith, so both of that offbeat clean guitar playing got incorporated into my style, along with more of the blues soloing from Joe Perry's repertoire.

Later on, Burn by Deep Purple was a song I practiced a lot and enjoyed playing that really made me forget that a song was meant to be Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, double chorus form.

A lot of the Chili Peppers stuff off BSSM and Californication both brought a funky bluesy style into my playing along with some more simple, clean and soulful riffs like some of the stuff on Cali.
Last edited by sovaso at Jan 13, 2016,
First song I learned was "Iron Man". As for playing style it's all about Randy Rhoads. My first solo that I learned was "Over the Mountain". As for other noteworthy song that really inspired me they are: "The Sentinel(Lots of Judas Priest)", "Damage Inc." "Holy Wars", "Angel of Death", "Panama (A lot of VH really)", "Trilogy Suite op.5", "Way Cool Jr.", and a lot more that aren't metal like a lot of Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, and a lot of local jazz guys that really have helped me.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I learned a lot of bend ing Ideas from Pantera songs, I learned palm muting precision from welcome to the jungle , I learned heavy metal chugging from Ride the Lightning, ..... I cannot remember the first time I heard sweeping but I know a song made me want to do it......... Rage against the machine introduced me to the whammy, and hendrixs voodoo child to the wah. Theres a lot of other things that songs made me look up but it was constant when I was younger, now I'm just trying to master all of them. Nice thread idea, btw, brought me back a few years!