I'll try to skip the preamble for once; will a compressor such as the Dyna Comp or the Boss CS-such-and-such be able to rid me of ice-picky treble when I'm using a wah on cleans?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Naw just rolloff the treble on your guitar to taste. It is the ice pick exterminator.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Naw just rolloff the treble on your guitar to taste. It is the ice pick exterminator.

This is why I'm bad at making short posts; I would've addressed this if I hadn't wanted to avoid a big paragraph

As I am wont to mention, I have a Telecaster, so I know about using the tone knob. However, a good clean sound isn't necessarily anything similar to a clean sound that'll cut the ice pick out once I step on the wah or phaser. The question is specifically in the context of using effects that give me big trebly resonant peaks, and whether a compressor will prevent ice picks, as opposed to whether it should be so used.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
A compressor just compresses the sound. There might be a compressor out there that colors the tone and rolls off the highs a bit, but as pointed out, there are more effective ways to accomplish this. If anything a compressor might make it worse, amplifying the high notes and making the icepick even worse.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
For the wah at least, have you tried getting into it and adjusting the drum that is linked to the treadle? You can get in and roll it back a hair (or forward more if you want even more treble) so that with the pedal all the way forward, it will not quite get as bright.

Edit: Keep in mind though, that if you do that, the wah will get even more bassy when the treadle is rocked back.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jan 13, 2016,
Might want to try an EQ pedal. Put it in various parts of the chain and adjust to taste.
A compressor might help reduce the overall volume difference if the ice-picky frequencies are jumping out in volume. Really all a Wah should be doing is acting as a band-pass filter, if I am correct. So the ice-pick frequencies at their volume level are already there when the Wah is off, but separated when the Wah is on. A limiter is more up the alley of just reducing high db peaks. And there are other ways to help this, too.

As said above, adjusting the internal trim pot so that you avoid extremes of the frequency range is a good idea. Also if your Wah has any volume boost pot you might could turn that down. Lastly, what pickup position are you using? If you are using the bridge pickup, that may be the problem right there. Try the neck or middle settings.

The Diamond Compressor (and the Mooer Yellow Comp, a clone) have a very neat EQ function.
Quote by Kyleisthename
Use your neck pickup

not to sure why people are saying this. a wha is very limited soundwise when using a neck pickup so it kinda defeats the purpose.
No way dude, the neck pickup has way more mids and the wah is just moving a filter through your mids.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
No way dude, the neck pickup has way more mids and the wah is just moving a filter through your mids.

dude do you use a wah? if you did then you'd know that this isn't the case
Depends somewhat on the wah you're using, but my experience has always been the bridge pickup produces a more usable sound and is what I always associate with a wah tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My Wah can be shrill at times if I go all the way down but most of the time I just don't use the full sweep. I find some middle ground and use it to make vocal sounds rather than fully sweeping the whole spectrum. Several models allow you to tune the "Q" to taste so if a mid-wah approach doesn't work for you, maybe a tunable one would reduce or eliminate the ice pick effect you are getting. Something like this makes more sense than adding a compressor IMO.

FWIW I use wah on both neck and bridge PUs to good effect. It just depends on the tone I am going for.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 14, 2016,