This is going to sound funny, but I have no idea if my guitar is crap or not. Long story short, I'm a beginner, I bought the Fender Cobain Mustang, been playing about 6 months. I like it, no complaints. But here is the deal... I don't have anything to compare it to so I'm curious what would I be looking for to determine if it's not really playing well. I understand fret buzz and too high action, but that's about it. I would think bad electronics would show it's face pretty easily. I've changed the strings once, but other than that I've been playing it exactly how it was shipped to me (factory set-up).

What should I be paying closer attention too to discover those smaller, less noticeable details? I want to learn.

I'm also interested in this because I'm shopping around for a second guitar, but probably going the used/pawn route instead of new.

Thanks for the info.
Does the guitar stay in tune? Does it intonate properly? Does it fret out anywhere? Is the neck fairly straight or have a slight amount of relief? You already said the electronics work. You said you've only changed the strings once so I'm assuming it doesn't break strings too much. Other than those things there isn't a whole lot left to look at.

Everything else is pretty much personal preference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
That is a pricey first guitar... I like Mustangs but honestly, they were originally designed as an entry level guitar. For obvious reasons, their prices have gone up over the years and adding Cobain's name to it probably only increased the price even more. They are not bad guitars but for the price, you could have 2 decent guitars or a really good guitar instead. A lot of it is personal preference. Even as a fan of Nirvana and Mustangs, I can't say that a mij Mustang is ever going to be worth more that $350 to me.
Spend $24 and get Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide. Not only does it show you how to do setups (and other stuff) but it explains the why and how to assess your guitar. There's a lot of good info on the internet but there's lots of bad too. Dan has a long & good reputation in the guitar industry.

EDIT and Dan doesn't use the harmonic tuning method because it's inaccurate though he doesn't explain it. This link shows the math behind the inaccuracy if anyone's interested.

Harmonic tuning

EDIT 2 here's another article, read the 5/7 fret harmonic tuning portion
tuning the guitar
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 13, 2016,
Quote by KenG
Spend $24 and get Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide. Not only does it show you how to do setups (and other stuff) but it explains the why and how to assess your guitar. There's a lot of good info on the internet but there's lots of bad too. Dan has a long & good reputation in the guitar industry.

Erlewine made the funky guitar that Marty McFly plays at the beginning of "Back to the Future". Cool little axe.
Quote by KenG

EDIT and Dan doesn't use the harmonic tuning method because it's inaccurate though he doesn't explain it. This link shows the math behind the inaccuracy if anyone's interested.

Harmonic tuning

Excellent book, I need to get another one. I've probably read through that entire book at least 5 times on the shitter.
Quote by TobusRex
Erlewine made the funky guitar that Marty McFly plays at the beginning of "Back to the Future". Cool little axe.

And Albert Kings flying V.
Moving on.....
Quote by Kevin Saale
Excellent book, I need to get another one. I've probably read through that entire book at least 5 times on the shitter.

Is it ruined or does it just smell bad and need to be thrown out?
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Is it ruined or does it just smell bad and need to be thrown out?

No, I lost it. Probably should've explained that...
Quote by Kevin Saale

Geez man, how much did you eat?
There is a time when it really is a case of "that's too much information"
Last edited by monabri at Jan 15, 2016,