Hey guys,

Been on here a while back when I played more regularly but in recent years stopped playing and subsequently sold my Jackson Soloist with a Licensed Floyd Rose (didn't really know what i thought I wanted the FR, it ended up becoming just a hassle for me).

Anyway I've been thinking about getting back into guitar and was recently handed about $5000 US (I live in Chicago) and I am literally forced to spend at least three thousand dollars of it before April 2016.

Soooo.... I thought I'd buy my dream guitar and all and get back into practicing on a guitar I can hand down to one of my children one day as an heirloom; the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016 T.

Here's a link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2016-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar/j26285000010000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiNi0BRDaobaq3dKJhrwBEiQAyVThzcI9JHiaeoyiUI22aKs_FSOUyRgDOH1Zq3zY8Xi5imQaAspA8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^143118043722-sku^J26285000010000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^82795616067

So my question is (and thank you in advance for answering) should I get it or should I put the money towards a cheaper guitar and a decent amp?
If you really want an heirloom guitar, you can do a lot of damage with $3K that will get you something with some vintage status already. A 2016 LP might be a great guitar (might not be; Gibson is not the most consistent manufacturer out there) but their new prices are really, really inflated.

I'll move this to the EG forum so you can get more suggestions, but you can start by telling us what gear you have or are looking at, what styles of music you play, and why you're looking at the Gibson so we can add more useful options.
Gibson has produced so many guitars at this point that new ones are unlikely to attain heirloom status, ever.

The only reason that Gibson and Fender have *become* special over the years is because of the social events connected with the Baby Boomer generation, and the fact that it was guitar bands that provided the sound track shared by that generation. Several things have changed or are changing. One, Boomers are moving into retirement, and the succeeding generations don't have the same connection with the bands, the music or the guitars. Current music is dominated by one-name chick singers and the occasional hip-hop artist, none of whom feature guitars. Current music is fragmented, meaning that everyone has his own "mix," thanks largely to iPods, etc. While a Gibson may be YOUR dream guitar, that may very well NOT be the case with your children.

The truth is, it's likely that what you hope will be an heirloom will more likely be just an old guitar and unappreciated. Even things that are currently acknowledged as "vintage" are exhibiting a softening of prices, particularly as boomers begin to flood the market with collections of guitars that are being converted into cash for retirement, etc.

There's also this: Asian sourced guitars in the under-$1000 range are surprisingly good. It's no longer necessary to think "American guitar" in order to get a quality piece.

I guess my suggestion would be to buy something that you like and can play (whether Gibson or otherwise) and don't depend on it for vintage, investment or heirloom status going foward.
I mean, anything can be an heirloom if you keep it long enough. I guess we need to know if heirloom was meant to indicate an actual historically significant investment piece, or just a good guitar that won't fall apart.
If you want a Gibson I would look at a used RI from the Custom Shop, R8, R7s are easily under that price and won't devalue much more if any (as long as you keep it in good condition). A new 2900 Standard will be worth less than 2K the minute you walk out of the store.
Moving on.....
Quote by Roc8995
If you really want an heirloom guitar, you can do a lot of damage with $3K that will get you something with some vintage status already. A 2016 LP might be a great guitar (might not be; Gibson is not the most consistent manufacturer out there) but their new prices are really, really inflated.

I'll move this to the EG forum so you can get more suggestions, but you can start by telling us what gear you have or are looking at, what styles of music you play, and why you're looking at the Gibson so we can add more useful options.

I have a Peavey Valveking 100 Watt Head and 2 10 or 12 inch speakers in a cab that I forget the name of. They're not name brand or anything.

From the other posters I get the impression that I shouldn't try to think of this guitar as an heirloom guitar and that I should instead get a guitar that I like to play and can play. The standard is this but may not be the most wise choice as it's not the most affordable. I like the sound of the humbuckers, the coil tapping for versatility, the style and aesthetics of the LP and the name Gibson. But I'm not terribly researched into this subject and that's why I've come to the almighty wise UG Forums.
Quote by dspellman
Gibson has produced so many guitars at this point that new ones are unlikely to attain heirloom status, ever.

There's also this: Asian sourced guitars in the under-$1000 range are surprisingly good. It's no longer necessary to think "American guitar" in order to get a quality piece.

I guess my suggestion would be to buy something that you like and can play (whether Gibson or otherwise) and don't depend on it for vintage, investment or heirloom status going foward.

Ok would you mind recommending to me some of these Asian sourced guitars?

I forgot to answer the other post: I like Underoath, Bullet for my Valentine, Led Zeppelin, Local Natives, Iron and Wine (acoustic, I know), A Day to Remember, Alexisonfire, Pierce the Veil, Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers. But for actual live performance I would most likely be playing clean christian praise music with tons of reverb etc. or very light distortion.

I had a Jackson soloist which had a pretty hot bridge humbucker but the middle and bridge pickups where those weird single coil humbuckers (humbuckers squeezed into a single coil slot) and they sounded pretty crappy compared to the bridge pick up. I LOVE the sound of the Gibson pickups and I like the styling but would I be better off buying a PRS or even something significantly cheaper for the kind of music I want to play?

Also I just want a guitar that looks and sounds good that won't fall apart that could possibly go up in value as the years go by. That's my definition of an heirloom guitar. I understand that since there are so many Gibson guitars floating around I might not get the increase in value so I'd settle for a guitar that didn't fall apart.
Quote by KenG
If you want a Gibson I would look at a used RI from the Custom Shop, R8, R7s are easily under that price and won't devalue much more if any (as long as you keep it in good condition). A new 2900 Standard will be worth less than 2K the minute you walk out of the store.

I have no idea what you just said. LOL. Sorry what's a R1, R8 and R7 and what's a 2900 Standard? Is that the guitar that I'm thinking of getting?

Sorry I don't mean to sound like an ass or ignorant (although I probably am) and I want your help I just don't know what you're referring to.

EDIT: Ok I just googled gibson r9 and found out it means a reissue but they seem to be thousands more than the standard, plus Idk if I want a reissue unless the neck is similar to the standard. The standard has an asymmetrical neck and 1 and 11/16 in nut width which I like. I played the traditional and the classic and didn't like the Traditionals pickups or neck feel.
Last edited by karsaorlong90 at Jan 13, 2016,
just a quick glance at Craigslit Chicago came up with these two:

Mid 70s Gibson Les Paul Custom
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/5400592926.html

2013 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM LITE - $1600
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/5384346645.html

I like the look of the first one and the gold hardware of the second one but I would need significant help deciding which is better considering I know absolutely nothing about guitars from the 70s.
Last edited by karsaorlong90 at Jan 13, 2016,
From the other posters I get the impression that I shouldn't try to think of this guitar as an heirloom guitar and that I should instead get a guitar that I like to play and can play.

As someone who collects many things- including guitars- unless you are very knowledgable, you shouldn't buy consumer products as "investments" or "heirlooms". Rule of thumb: "buy things you like...because you may be holding on to them for quite a while."

Ok would you mind recommending to me some of these Asian sourced guitars?

From Japan, there are brands like Fernandes/Burny, Tokai, Edwards, Navigator, Orville, ESP/LTD, FGN, Killer and many others.

Many brands are using Korean manufacture- like Fernandes and some of the others mentioned above, Epiphone, etc.- for their second best quality guitars. Differences between the those and the top tier are mainly things most guitarists won't notice because the quality control and materials are damn good. A similar tactic is used by brands like G&L and Dean Zelinsky Private Label, but with Inonesian factories.

There are some brands like Reverend, Electra, Chapman that use Korean manufacture for most if not all of their current production, and do final inspection & setup in the USA, Great Britain, or wherever the company is headquartered.

FWIW, you might want to also look at Heritage and Carvin/Keisel guitars. Both make high quality guitars here in the USA. Heritage was founded by former Gibson workers who essentially bought a factory Gibson shuttered and just kept on making Gibson-style guitars. Carvin/Keisel makes a wide variety of guitars based on all kinds of classic and new designs at their factory in San Diego, with a very high level of quality for the price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2016,
Quote by karsaorlong90
I have no idea what you just said. LOL. Sorry what's a R1, R8 and R7 and what's a 2900 Standard? Is that the guitar that I'm thinking of getting?

Sorry I don't mean to sound like an ass or ignorant (although I probably am) and I want your help I just don't know what you're referring to.

EDIT: Ok I just googled gibson r9 and found out it means a reissue but they seem to be thousands more than the standard, plus Idk if I want a reissue unless the neck is similar to the standard. The standard has an asymmetrical neck and 1 and 11/16 in nut width which I like. I played the traditional and the classic and didn't like the Traditionals pickups or neck feel.

Yes RX is for "Re-Issue" the 2900 should've been $2900 indicating the normal retail price of the Standard. The MRSP for RIs is high but that is not the price you pay unless you buy at Guitar Denter, Musicians Farce etc. R7s/R8s (2014 design still available) are listed for well over 4K but are regularly bought new for under 4K. Used R7,s R8s go from 2200-2500 regularily.
You might not like the necks true, the asymetrical thinkg never appealed to me, it seemded like a solution in search of a non-existant problem.
BTW I own and R7 & R8 so I do have some idea of which I speak.

Cheers
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 14, 2016,
Quote by karsaorlong90
Also I just want a guitar that looks and sounds good that won't fall apart that could possibly go up in value as the years go by.

i wouldn't count on any guitar going up in value with the exception of the ones that already have.

like Roc said earlier, for $3K you can get a guitar with some historical mojo (Roc rarely says mojo so i'm sorta going with the spirit of his post here) already included.

or, like you said, just get a guitar that won't fall apart.

i personally like PRS guitars a great deal, and a nice USA made used PRS should cost you around $1200-$2000 depending on condition and model. PRS has been and remains one of the builders that have high QC in the industry, among others.

buying a good used guitar means that, while it may not increase in value over time, it's not likely to lose a great deal of value as is the case when buying a new gibson at the inflated 2016 rates.

Also consider a USA made G&L guitar, they also make great stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
how about this prs:

PRS Custom 24 - 2009 - $1200
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/5397196541.html

EDIT: actually I think I found it. It's a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard that has nearly all of the same features that I liked on the 2016 Standard. The only thing is the top isn't nearly as pretty as the 2016 is.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/5395164603.html
Last edited by karsaorlong90 at Jan 14, 2016,
That would be a solid guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd take a PRS over a Gibson any day. I actually had a really nice Gibson LP before I bought my PRS and then I ended up selling the LP because it set in it's case for over 4 years (the PRS plays that nice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by karsaorlong90
how about this prs:

PRS Custom 24 - 2009 - $1200
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/5397196541.html

EDIT: actually I think I found it. It's a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard that has nearly all of the same features that I liked on the 2016 Standard. The only thing is the top isn't nearly as pretty as the 2016 is.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/5395164603.html

Both seem like very nice guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd take a PRS over a Gibson any day. I actually had a really nice Gibson LP before I bought my PRS and then I ended up selling the LP because it set in it's case for over 4 years (the PRS plays that nice.

I've never played a PRS but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Idk if I can find a decent looking and sounding PRS I might just get that but I think I'm gonna try to get this used standard and if that falls through I'll go for the PRS. I just don't know anything about PRS except that their SE line is the affordable one. Their website doesn't seem to have any specs or anything on it.
Quote by karsaorlong90
I've never played a PRS but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Idk if I can find a decent looking and sounding PRS I might just get that but I think I'm gonna try to get this used standard and if that falls through I'll go for the PRS. I just don't know anything about PRS except that their SE line is the affordable one. Their website doesn't seem to have any specs or anything on it.

Go play both guitars then decide yourself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can get a '58 Reissue instead of a Standard near those prices, if you're patient. If you're dropping that much on a Gibson you really ought to get a Reissue/Historic of some flavor.

There's a big, big jump in quality when you get to the reissues. It's basically what Gibson ought to be, the Standards are just cranked out to keep them in business. Some Standards are fantastic instruments, but a lot of them are not, and picking one blind online is not a great way to guarantee satisfaction.

I'd also be looking hard at the PRS Stripped 58. That's a guitar you could order with confidence online. Haven't played a bad SC58 or Stripped yet.
the reissues are so expensive on ebay plus i don't think I'll like the thick neck of a 50s style les paul
eBay is not where you should be looking for used Gibsons. Try the gear page, local craigslist, shops, etc.