Hi!

I'm looking for a new amplifier and have really been interested in Mesa Boogie amps. I don't want a high gain amp like a Dual Rec because I'm just not into that type of music. Particularly, I like the tones of the Mark series with their Fender cleans to creamy Santana drives. The only problem is they are all super expensive!

Are there any amps the Boogie or perhaps a different manufacturer makes or made that get these diverse, versatile, great tones while staying under ~USD $600 used street price? I play blues, jazz, fusion, and some rock and would like an amp that has seperate eqs for the clean and gain channel in order to be able to change channels in a gig without having to go dial up a different setting.

Thanks!
Maybe look at the DC series or the F series amps. I have seen both around that price, used of course as they are no longer in production.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Mkiii combo? You also aren't far off of a mkiv combo either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
not too far away from a MK 5.25 ..... now that the new 35 is available there are some 5.25's starting to be available used
You can get a Mark II or III for that price if you look hard enough. Otherwise a DC or .50 Caliber is within range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also some Express models. Just do a search on Guitar Center > Used > Mesa Price $300 - $500 & $500-$750 selected.

You get 30 days returns at GC so you can try a few different models if you're not sure off of online demos.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
A Randall RM100 with some Salvation or Jaded Faith Mesa Mark cards will get you there too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mark II/IIIs, DC and F series amps can all do what you want and should be in your budget used. I had an F30 for a while, wish I would've never gotten rid of it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
B52 or Peavey Triumph, both were marketed as MESA killers.

Neither really is, but they are close.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
B52 or Peavey Triumph, both were marketed as MESA killers.

Neither really is, but they are close.

Any specific B52 amps that really get the Mesa versatility with Fender cleans and good drive sounds?
Quote by gabrielmukobi
Hi!

I'm looking for a new amplifier and have really been interested in Mesa Boogie amps. I don't want a high gain amp like a Dual Rec because I'm just not into that type of music. Particularly, I like the tones of the Mark series with their Fender cleans to creamy Santana drives. The only problem is they are all super expensive!

Are there any amps the Boogie or perhaps a different manufacturer makes or made that get these diverse, versatile, great tones while staying under ~USD $600 used street price? I play blues, jazz, fusion, and some rock and would like an amp that has seperate eqs for the clean and gain channel in order to be able to change channels in a gig without having to go dial up a different setting.

Thanks!

An old Carvin X100B combo will do the trick. Its design is very similar to the original Marks, and in fact was available with an oak cabinet with a cane grill (as well as the more familiar mousefur/black grill cloth look).

When I bought my rug-covered XV112B (the 1x12 combo), we actually hauled it about 50 yards down Sunset from the Carvin factory store to the Mesa factory store on the corner, and spent about an hour or so A/B'ing the two with the boys from Mesa. At the time I could afford either one, but ended up with the Carvin (and no regrets ever since). The Carvin's a 100W amp (EL34s or 6L6s, though mine has the EL34s) and came with either a Brit-voiced 100W speaker or an EV-L (it's had both installed at one time or another).

The clean channel is gorgeous, the gain channel excellent. TONS of tonal control, because these are *active* controls (active boost *and* cut) rather than passive. Volume and tone controls are independent for each channel and the five-band equalizer is switchable to either channel. My amp has three power settings (25W, 50W, 100W), though you're not going to hear a lot of difference volume-wise.

Here's more information on the amp: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/88-tubexamps.html

One caution: While Stevie Vai is widely known to have used the X100 series amps, these are the late '80's models. Carvin reissued the amps (a 1x12 combo is no longer available) a few years ago, but the transformers are different and the reverb is now a digital reverb (honestly, I think it's better than the Hammond spring tank on the old ones).

Prices on the used amps (depending on condition, etc.) range from about $275 - $400. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-XV112-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-X100B-Combo-/321796327095 You should expect to retube whatever you buy and you'll want to have it checked over by a really good tech.

A full retube with a set of good JJ EL34s, a balanced ECC83S for the inverter in V3 and a pair of good ECC83S' for the preamp from Eurotubes.com will run $100-120, so factor that into your budget. I'd also factor in a set of Eurotubes' power tube "Eurodampers" (about $20 for the set of four) to reduce tube rattle (common in high power tube combo amps).
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 15, 2016,
Mesa Studio 22 or F-30 might work. Very versatile amps that do 2 things very well. Fender Deluxe Reverb style clean tones and singing Santana-type OD. Plenty of loud for most gigs so worth a look. The F-30 is my primary gig rig these days.