Can anyone suggest some good, free and LEGAL guitar amp simulators similar to guitar rig 5 or something of that ilk? I would really like to play guitar without resorting to stealing software online.

Thanks!
Well what kind of styles do you play and are you using a mac or pc? Do you actually need a full guitar suite (as in everything bundled in one package)

I mean, personally I use LePou VSTs for a lot of stuff. They have a nice Marshall (Hybrit) and a few higher gain amps you can try and they are all free. It's NOT all in one though. You will need a cabinet/impulse loader (LePou also makes one as well). Free impulses can be found via google. A few companies do them.

If you play metal, my favorite plugin right now is the TSE X50. It's a 6505 style VST but it sounds wicked. Ignite Amps Anvil is also a cool one. Nick Crow's 8505 also gets a lot of love.

The TSE 808 is pretty sweet if you need an OD to kick into the front.

If you want a little tip though, I would subscribe to sites like Native-Instruments or other sites that do VST stuff as well. I have gotten a few paid VST products for free because they were offering them for a limited time. It's how I got the Replika delay (which sounds pretty sweet).
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 14, 2016,
No problem.

If you are looking for effects, the KVR: Guitar Gadgets is kind of cool in the sense that it has a few typical guitar style effects to play around with. There's also a nice free delay called the Freq Echo by Valhalla if you don't like the ones in the KVR sweet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Check this thread too: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

I agree with H4t3br33d3r on the amp sims he suggested. Lepou's and TSE's stuff are really amazing and worth trying out. You can get very good results with them.

My favorite amp sim from LePou is the Le456 (based on an ENGL amp), and the TSE 808 is always on my VST chain when doing high gain stuff with amp sims.

Do not forget to check the Free Impulse Loaders and Free Impulse Responses on the thread I linked above. You'll need them if you're going to use Lepou's and/or TSE's amp sims.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 14, 2016,
Also have a look at Nick Crow's stuff and Ignite Amps Emissary.

Or have a look at the amp sims sticky in the recording section where this stuff is all written down with descriptions and instructions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Is there a tutorial that shows me how to put together an amplifier from start to finish if I don't have any programs?
Quote by ishbu123
Is there a tutorial that shows me how to put together an amplifier from start to finish if I don't have any programs?

What DAW do you use? The LePou and TSE stuff don't have an interface of their own, so they need a DAW. If you do have a DAW, just add the sims to a track like normal effects, amp first, then the impulse loader (cab sim).

If you don't have a DAW, that's a different situation. I can't recall any suitable free amp sims for that. Do you just want to plug your guitar into the PC/mac and play like you'd be using a regular amp? Because most free sims can't do that, they must be added as an "effect" in a DAW, as far as I know. Someone can correct this if I recall wrong.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
If you need a free DAW that is okay to start with you can try Tracktion 4. It used to be a pay program but was made free in 2013 IIRC.

Reaper also has a 60 day free trial if you want to go that route. The demo is non crippling but I would recommend just buying it as its pretty cheap and decent.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you need a free DAW that is okay to start with you can try Tracktion 4. It used to be a pay program but was made free in 2013 IIRC.

Reaper also has a 60 day free trial if you want to go that route. The demo is non crippling but I would recommend just buying it as its pretty cheap and decent.

Okay I've heard a lot of things about Reaper so I might just try that. Thanks.
Quote by ishbu123
Okay I've heard a lot of things about Reaper so I might just try that. Thanks.

Check youtube. There are TONS of guides that show you how to set up VSTs etc... within reaper that will be helpful.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Check out Peavey ReValver 4. The free version gives you a ValveKing, Custom Lite, Tubescreamer, and a few other things. It's a stand alone program or you can load it into a DAW. Very easy to use. You can use any of the amps/effects/cabs in demo mode and get a periodic tone or you can purchase a bundle or just 1 amp/effect/cab at a time to get rid of the tone.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Check out Peavey ReValver 4. The free version gives you a ValveKing, Custom Lite, Tubescreamer, and a few other things. It's a stand alone program or you can load it into a DAW. Very easy to use. You can use any of the amps/effects/cabs in demo mode and get a periodic tone or you can purchase a bundle or just 1 amp/effect/cab at a time to get rid of the tone.

Just to clarify, you get a swirly beep that almost sounds like a theremin every 30 seconds or so.

I mean RV sounds good but if I was going RV I would probably go with a paid version.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 14, 2016,