Poll: What is the most useful and prestigious major?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the most useful and prestigious major?
Physical science eg. chemistry, physics
27 45%
Life science eg. biology, genetics, biochem
25 42%
Finance
8 13%
Maths
18 30%
Politics Philosophy and Economics
4 7%
Classics
5 8%
Engineering
29 48%
Computer Science
17 28%
Medicine
27 45%
Accounting
7 12%
Voters: 60.
Page 1 of 12
Or majors for you Americans. Post and post why.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Chemistry cuz then you might be considered my peer

If you're lucky

Ok but srs everyone worships medicine students

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Chemistry cuz then you might be considered my peer

If you're lucky

Ok but srs everyone worships medicine students

Not if you've been an inpatient in a teaching hospital you don't.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Chemistry graduates / students hmu

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
>tfw polytechnic student
I can't wait to be homeless and more miserable
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Useful and prestigious are kinda mutually exclusive.

Computer science isn't prestigious, but it's useful as fuck. Astrophysics is prestigious, but it's not really useful.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Useful and prestigious are kinda mutually exclusive.

Computer science isn't prestigious, but it's useful as fuck. Astrophysics is prestigious, but it's not really useful.

Asstrophysics is both, tho.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
What if its prestigious and useful eg. medicine or mathematics or any traditional science

You forgot black history u racist scum
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Going by how my parents introduce people to me: medicine, law, accounting, and chemical engineering.
cat
That's because history is written by the victors aka the white man

Quote by guitarxo
Going by how my parents introduce people to me: medicine, law, accounting, and chemical engineering.

See this is interesting I was told chemical engineering is a good thing to go into and valued as fuck but then I didn't do it and then opinion seemed to turn and apparently it's not so useful any more

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jan 14, 2016,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
What if its prestigious and useful eg. medicine or mathematics or any traditional science

then it'll be a short thread innit
Check out my band Disturbed
Stem fields, a group of graphic designers couldn't build you a house
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Gender Studies or English
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Why isn't music on the poll?

not sure if you need to ask

Quote by EndTheRapture51

See this is interesting I was told chemical engineering is a good thing to go into and valued as fuck but then I didn't do it and then opinion seemed to turn and apparently it's not so useful any more

It probably depends on your location. Where i used to live, chem eng is highly in demand in many different sub-specialties. Starting salaries are high compared with other engineering fields and innovations from research are implemented in industry fairly quickly compared to other countries.

My dad is a chemical engineer (though he is in academia, not industry) so that is probably also why my family's all about it. If I had to choose a totally different area of study/career path I think I would choose chem eng.
cat
Can you do a chem eng job with a standard chemistry degree though that's the question

I mean the first Google result for "Chemical engineering degrees" was from a sponsored link of a shite UK university. Hopefully a degree in chemistry from a top 20 uni would be more valued than a chem eng from a ex polytech.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Can you do a chem eng job with a standard chemistry degree though that's the question

I mean the first Google result for "Chemical engineering degrees" was from a sponsored link of a shite UK university. Hopefully a degree in chemistry from a top 20 uni would be more valued than a chem eng from a ex polytech.

There are different skills taught in chem and chem eng so it would depend on the job really. Again this is probably different for different areas but I know that where I lived, food science was one area that recruited chem and chem eng degrees. But the chem eng degrees were paid more. I don't think I ever saw openings for chem degrees in the refineries (although they did hire biology and environmental science)
cat
Quote by korinaflyingv
Because you're a complete moron who doesn't value the arts despite being on a guitar website?

Because he's the new edgy. He's #realistic and #mature and has no time for artsy farty trivialities
Here some European music academies are considered very prestigious, like if someone tells you they're studying music in St. Petersburg or Vienna you know they're hot shit.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Here some European music academies are considered very prestigious, like if someone tells you they're studying music in St. Petersburg or Vienna you know they're hot shit.

Yeah but there are respected universities for any subject. If someone went to Cambridge or Harvard, they'll be well respected regardless of what they majored in.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Yeah. If someone tells you they study at the Royal College of Music you assume they're a massive twat. British culture is great...
Quote by korinaflyingv
Because you're a complete moron who doesn't value the arts despite being on a guitar website?

You answered your own question. The arts are highly valued and I respect those who create arts.

However degrees in said arts are viewed less prestigious and useful, hence the thread.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
You answered your own question. The arts are highly valued and I respect those who create arts.

However degrees in said arts are viewed less prestigious and useful, hence the thread.

What the fuck are you on about? You made the thread to get opinions on what is prestigious and useful. Now you're dictating what is and isn't prestigious and useful. If music wasn't prestigious people wouldn't basically worship musicians. And music is obviously insanely useful. It may be your opinion that music is less prestigious and useful, but why not include it if the purpose is to gauge others' opinions? Your thread is basically "Which of my opinions is most correct?" which obviously is fucking shite and makes you a terrible thread starter.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 14, 2016,
Quote by korinaflyingv
What the fuck are you on about? You made the thread to get opinions on what is prestigious and useful. Now you're dictating what is and isn't prestigious and useful. If music wasn't prestigious people wouldn't basically worship musicians. And music is obviously insanely useful.

Music is useful.

Music degree, less so.

There is a difference between the two.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Music is useful.

Music degree, less so.

There is a difference between the two.

It's useful if you want to know how to make music. I'd rather have more great music than more fucking useless technology, faster internet or whatever the options you would consider to be useful are.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 14, 2016,
Well done. You'd rather have music than life changing technology or drugs that can cure illnesses and make peoples lives more healthy and comfortable. Nice one.

Quote by korinaflyingv
It's useful if you want to know how to make music. I'd rather have more great music than more fucking useless technology, faster internet or whatever the options you would consider to be useful are.

"Useful" here means economically rewarding.