Hi I hope I posted this in the right place, basically I just ordered a set of strings that i think are bigger than the ones I have atm(don't have a clue what strings I already have as I recently bought the guitar) and I realised "Fuck, what if the string gauge is too big" so my question is how do I or is there even a way to check the size of each slot in the nut according to said string gauges.

Also the strings I've bought are the ones in the picture, I have a floyd rose trem that came tuned to standard I then retuned it to drop c with the same strings and I read that I should definitely get thicker strings do you think I got the right ones? if it helps to know, i have a ibanez rg470pb so I assume the trem system isn't of top notch quality (although I could be wrong?)

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
image.jpeg
If the guitar came from the factory it probably had .009s or .010s (aka 9s or 10s, for reference those strings you have there are .012s or 12s)on it. If it was used there is really no telling what it had, but .009s and .010s are pretty much the most common gauge used on electric guitars.

That being said, unless your guitar had .011s or .012s on it already there is a chance that your guitar's nut will need to be re-filed. To check the size of the nut you would need a set of feeler gauges like these: http://www.amazon.com/OEMTools-25025-Blade-Master-Feeler/dp/B000BYGIR4 They can be found in pretty much any hardware or auto parts store. They're a nice thing to have around for checking relief on a guitar as well, so they're worth having either way.

Edit: Yeah, I'm dumb, listen to him V
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 14, 2016,
If it has a floyd then surely it has a locking nut? If so then, if the same as my Iby, it will take any size as the nut clamps rather than having a slot to slide in.

I assume you know that you'll have to do a full set up for that change?
Quote by SpiderM
If it has a floyd then surely it has a locking nut? If so then, if the same as my Iby, it will take any size as the nut clamps rather than having a slot to slide in.

I assume you know that you'll have to do a full set up for that change?

Hurr durr, I should've thought of that. I guess I just automatically assumed a normal nut if he was worrying about the strings fitting.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by hollowmanpl
I've got them in my jackson and they fit well

You should let Jackson know! They could use this information for their advertising:-

"Guitar strings fit really well on this guitar"

Quote by Kevin Saale
If the guitar came from the factory it probably had .009s or .010s (aka 9s or 10s, for reference those strings you have there are .012s or 12s)on it. If it was used there is really no telling what it had, but .009s and .010s are pretty much the most common gauge used on electric guitars.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain all Ibbys come with 9s from the factory. In Drop C, 10-52 is about the closest you can get to the tension of 9s in E standard (annoyingly, light top/heavy bottom and other sets in that vein tend to give you very tight 4th and 5th strings, but that's less of an issue than the plain strings' and the 6th string's tension).

And yeah, the nut won't be an issue with the Floyd, though you will have to fiddle with the springs to get the bridge level before you can set everything else up if you hadn't figured that out already.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one