Does anyone know where to find broken pedals in Australia pretty cheap?
I'm just starting out with a few diy pedals and looking for ways to cut costs.
I've looked on ebay, but even busted pedals go for stupid amounts of $$$ there.
I've also kept an eye out at the local salvos store, but the only guitar gear I've seen there is 1 or 2 amps.

The main things I'm after are the inputs/outputs, some pots/knobs, the enclosure and possibly a 3pdt footswitch (though odds are most pedals wont have this)
This would all cost me around $15-20 on ebay, so I wouldn't want to pay any more than $10 or $15 for it.

Is there anywhere I could find this, or am I just kidding myself?
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
craigslist is pretty big here, but broken pedals.. not so much, i'd try ebay honestly. I've even seen broken ps3 controllers on there missing parts so anything is possible,

you can buy pedals housings and get practically any component online, the magic word as you know is DIY. from greece or isreal (i dont see much from either) they had all sorts of pcb boards and components you assemble. But i'm not sure if the seller is still doing it. this may be a big step in the right direction if you got some time during the summer why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkOc4zrpSI
Try electronic component retailers like Mouser and Element14. You might be able to find switches and enclosures cheaper than on eBay, although not by much. I'd expect to pay 15-20 dollars anywhere in the world, more if you include shipping.

Any pedal you can get used for 20 bucks probably won't contain a 3PDT switch. You're better off buying exactly what you need rather than hoping to find parts in an existing pedal.

EDIT: actually, forget the electronics retailers, their switches are expensive as shit.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 15, 2016,
Quote by MTolly
Does anyone know where to find broken pedals in Australia pretty cheap?
I'm just starting out with a few diy pedals and looking for ways to cut costs.
I've looked on ebay, but even busted pedals go for stupid amounts of $$$ there.
I've also kept an eye out at the local salvos store, but the only guitar gear I've seen there is 1 or 2 amps.

The main things I'm after are the inputs/outputs, some pots/knobs, the enclosure and possibly a 3pdt footswitch (though odds are most pedals wont have this)
This would all cost me around $15-20 on ebay, so I wouldn't want to pay any more than $10 or $15 for it.

Is there anywhere I could find this, or am I just kidding myself?

i don't know what it's like down under but here in the states reality tv and economic hardship has made "flippers" out of everybody. everything is "vintage" and lists for msrp minimum even beat up and used.

pedals are an aggressive market right now with near total junk posting for stupid prices. for example i just sold a sovtek bigmuff pi for over $300. the thing sucked. i paid $50 for it in the late 90's. i used it like 3 times and put it back in the box. i was totally surprised that i could even ask for that much but market research said yes and i scored. the thing was ugly, sounded ugly, had text misspelled and backwards, and according to "collector" blogs was actually a pretty plain-jane russian big muff.

it seems like you are looking for just basic electronic stuff though and you might want to try surplus stores or whatever you folks have down there. over here you can hit military/electronics junk shops and score weapons grade, tough shit hardware for a bargain as it is often sold by weight because scrappers want to get rid of it quick due to it's haz-mat issues.

enclosures will be harder as the originals have artwork, color ways, unique assembly worker "notes" and other specific graphics that make them "collectable". you might want to start out with some generic electronics project boxes and mod to suit. you can maybe make an awesome pedal out of a can of foster's
Last edited by ad_works at Jan 15, 2016,
Well for starters it would probably be easier to find a cheap pedal than a can of fosters over here, no one drinks that shit
I'll try the surplus store idea, kinda like the idea of using an ammo box or similar for some sort of enclosure. All we really have in the way of electronics shops here is jaycar, and importing from Hong Kong is heaps cheaper than that, with a similar quality of parts. I might just stick to ebay then. Thanks for the help
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G