is symphonic band dead i mean bands with like brass and woodwinds and stuff it seems

Poll: what you think
Poll Options
View poll results: what you think
symph bnd kill
3 33%
symph bnd not kill
5 56%
yeah okay
1 11%
Voters: 9.
like the majority of a symphonic band's audience is old people and symphonic band members so when the old people die there will not really be that much left.

like i personally enjoy a well-placed, well-integrated wind band but as its whole unit? nah. it is boring.

i can see the instruments themselves staying around (except for bassoon, that thing is awful) but as far as symphonic band and marching band i do not see much a desire for it for much longer.

in fact hey why cant they just get with the times and start using keytars and stuff yeah

what u think discuss

edit: i mean i ask because the majority of band-oriented music that goes out of the store is literally either for school band students or old people. maybe i am just desensitized to symphonic and marching band music because of our hyped-up modern music, like how the modern american diet has so much sugar in it.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 15, 2016,
ska music is pretty popular still? does that count?

and i think a lot of people have been going to those Legend of Zelda symphony things.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Yeah, I love bands with a bit of brass and woodwinds. But I'm sure they're becoming less relevant, like any other "tangible" instrument, more so than guitar and piano.
Free Ali
Free Lard
i hope so

but it was better than stoner and doom metal so I hope those folks jump to something better.

edit: oh this isn't about symphonic metal is it.

yeah symphonic anything is pretty dead because it's such a hassle to organise. you just get the well known symphony and orchestra groups playing the old stuff over and over or playing contemporary but popular stuff like film music. that said, those groups fill out big concerts still

edit2: my mother plays big band primarily (sax + clarinet mostly) but no one cares enough about big band any more so her regular focus is now on concert orchestra bands playing older tunes and film scores
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
just to be clear i am not talking about wind and string outfits like with ska i mean entire symphonic wind, string, etc. bands like the boston pops or something although they do a good job of keeping with modern artists
Quote by theguitarist
i hope so

but it was better than stoner and doom metal so I hope those folks jump to something better.

edit: oh this isn't about symphonic metal is it.

yeah symphonic anything is pretty dead because it's such a hassle to organise. you just get the well known symphony and orchestra groups playing the old stuff over and over or playing contemporary but popular stuff like film music. that said, those groups fill out big concerts still

edit2: my mother plays big band primarily (sax + clarinet mostly) but no one cares enough about big band any more so her regular focus is now on concert orchestra bands playing older tunes and film scores
yeah it seems like there are not really that many big orchestras now the ones that do exist have such a big pull because there are fewer and fewer orchestras.

but yeah i did not think about film scores. but with the way a lot of film music is moving orchestras may be obsolete, or at least moderately less/equally considered with their alternative and digital counterparts. so it feels like large symphonic orchestras are becoming more and more a niche thing for movies and those reliving traditional ways of music, then.
Here at UG we don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band.

It ain't what we call rock and roll.
Quote by TobusRex
Here at UG we don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band.

It ain't what we call rock and roll.

don't break a hip on all that old.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
any time I go see london philharmonic or symphonic orchestra, shit is packed out

but they are always playing classics. nothing new really (there is newer stuff still being put out but they are usually empty or done in small venues with smaller orchestra)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by jakesmellspoo
don't break a hip on all that old.

Damn zygote. Show respect to your elders. If you don't think I'll get your mother to abort you...you don't know me!
Okay, maybe I didn't understand what OP meant.

I was thinking bands with typical drummers, guitarists, singers, etc. and some people in the background playing brass/woodwinds. Like Huey Lewis & The News, backing bands for people like John Mayer, Stevie Wonder, or Joe Bonamassa, etc.

The only person I can think of who still does this regularly and is widely known is Bruno Mars, and that's mostly just live.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Classical music has been around for a long time way before the "old" people you refer to were born. it's considered classy (so of course those in the pit aren't interested) and appeals to a vastly different group of listeners than are here. it's not meant for teenagers so no shock there. classical often grows on you as you learn to delve further into music (same with jazz). it's often used to score movies, commerecials etc so not going anywhere any time soon.
Quote by monwobobbo
Classical music has been around for a long time way before the "old" people you refer to were born. it's considered classy (so of course those in the pit aren't interested) and appeals to a vastly different group of listeners than are here. it's not meant for teenagers so no shock there. classical often grows on you as you learn to delve further into music (same with jazz). it's often used to score movies, commerecials etc so not going anywhere any time soon.

k grandpa
Marching bands are like rockstars at colleges.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jan 15, 2016,
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah, okay that is about right ty.
Quote by EyeNon15
Do marching bands count because they are like rockstar at colleges.
Quote by EyeNon15
Crap
Quote by EyeNon15
Marching bands are like rockstars at colleges.
the only people that seem to think marching bands are like rockstars are the marching band members! it seems like to me the other collegiate members couldn't care less. it may be different at colleges like nc a&t because that seems to be an emphasis. the college members may appreciate the marching band but if the band stopped existing, not many people would be in uproar.

i speak from experience of being in middle school and high school band so i know what college band is like. people really do not pay that much attention to you aside from band members and band parents.

on the last day of high school or something the band seniors decided to march down the hall and play some of our pep tunes right at the end of the school day and i had a solo and that was kinda fun but that was my only positive memory.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
k grandpa

now waiting in breathless anticipation of your words of wisdom on the subject
Quote by monwobobbo
now waiting in breathless anticipation of your words of wisdom on the subject

no that was it.

you're old.

and irrelevant.

shouldn't you be getting ready to be turned into glue or whatever it is they do with old people?
Do you mean symphonic bands as in wind bands or as in orchestras? Because wind bands were never really a thing outside of the military except for a little bit in the US (mainly schools).

Orchestras are dying because the interest isn't there and therefore the funding isn't there.

If you're using "symphonic band" to refer to classical music in general nah it's not going anywhere because reasons.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
shouldn't you be getting ready to be turned into glue or whatever it is they do with old people?

lmfao jesus christ
Quote by Will Lane

i speak from experience of being in middle school and high school band so i know what college band is like. people really do not pay that much attention to you aside from band members and band parents.

on the last day of high school or something the band seniors decided to march down the hall and play some of our pep tunes right at the end of the school day and i had a solo and that was kinda fun but that was my only positive memory.

It's mostly the historical black colleges where the marching band draws more fans than the sports teams but there are others as well. The point is that it seems to be rising in popularity rather than declining.
I went to UNC and band dudes had groupies.

I've never heard of a high school where marching banders were considered cool, I'm sure they are out there.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ska music is pretty popular still? does that count?

and i think a lot of people have been going to those Legend of Zelda symphony things.
i think ska is not as popular as it used to be but it is okay

i think ska might have kind of transitioned into another genre that i cannot remember what my friend called it but the band king's kaleidoscope (Christian band) is that genre. it is not like alternative or something like that it was a kind of odd name what my friend called the genre.

like urban orchestral rock or something.
orchestras are not kill but they are less popular now for sure

some day they may be kill but not for quite a while. classical/romatic music isn't old enough/irrelevant enough yet to completely die out.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Is it? Jesus...

i don't know what's popular anymore. i tend to directly relate popularity with how much a fanbase annoys me. so by that equation, ska=annoying=popular.

it makes perfect sense in my head.

Quote by TobusRex
What the hell is "ska" music?

lol
Band and Orchestra dominates musical instrument sales. I worked 4 years at a full-line music store. Guitars are, by far, a minority in the music retail industry.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Wow...that is a special kind of suck. Not "rap" sucky, but pretty shitty.

Thanks for the education on "ska", EyeNon15.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
no that was it.

you're old.

and irrelevant.

wow how long did it take you to come up with that snappy response. . stick to smelling poo it seems that that is what you excell at. or better yet put your guitar where your mouth is and we'll see who is irrelavant.
Quote by JustRooster
Band and Orchestra dominates musical instrument sales. I worked 4 years at a full-line music store. Guitars are, by far, a minority in the music retail industry.
yeah we sell a dumb amount of band stuff like reeds and kits. and we have a lot of rentals too. but most of it really seems to be school band stuff which ends after high school, if not much eariler. maybe your experience is different, maybe you had more professional sales.
Quote by monwobobbo
wow how long did it take you to come up with that snappy response. . stick to smelling poo it seems that that is what you excell at. or better yet put your guitar where your mouth is and we'll see who is irrelavant.
Quote by TobusRex

Thanks for the education on "ska", EyeNon15.

The guys in the background are a band called Fishbone.
They had hipster credibility in the 90s.
Even after doing that.
symphonic band is the smooth jazz of the orchestral world.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nah, there's still rich people and movies.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by monwobobbo

lol
Instruments like oboe and baritone flute (the Native American one) are my favorite. I've never played with a horn player, it would be fun. All of my favorite music is distorted guitars though, so...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."