Hello

Recently i have been on the look for another guitar. i mean i already have my one true love, which is a Electromatic Pro jet Gretsch. anyway recently i have been suggested of actually customising and building my own guitar and that doesnt sound so bad. i mean i have nothing else to do with my time (under my circumstances, i cbf getting into also, kinda personal) i cannot progress with my guitar skills until a further time. anyway i was wondering about how i can go about making my own guitar. if possible i would to have a few questions to be answered if anyone is willing to give their time for me. I don't really have much skill in wood work and i was just hoping i'd just order the parts online and then put it together with modifications to the specs.

What are the specifications for a playable guitar neck?

Can a Bass Body be used as a guitar body if one places a guitar neck onto it? if so how would someone go about doing that? (just suggesting the rickenbacker 4003 body(my favourite guitar body shape))

would i have to modify the area for the bridge for a tremolo system?

theres probably more questions on my mind but at this current time i cannot think of the questions. I live in Australia if that helps

i would appreciate it if anyone would like to take the time to answer my questions
It's quite easy, I wouldn't recommend doing your "Dream Guitar" first. Do a cheaper one to start and fell what it's like to balance tension and drive screws etc....

if you check out Carvin, they have some kits that come with everything you need to do your first build.
^+1
Carvin kits are excellent quality but they do cost a bit more than a lot of kits out there.

You can also check BYOguitar.com and Guitarfetish.com for some cheaper kits
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
To answer your second questions, no, you cant use a bass body for a guitar body. The scale length and hardware type is completely different.

But you CAN use a bass shape to make a guitar body. BTW, bass necks are generally 2.5" wide at the heel and guitars are generally 2 3/16" wide at the heel. A custom body would be the way to go if you have the tools & skills.

ken
Quote by kdanielson
But you CAN use a bass shape to make a guitar body. BTW, bass necks are generally 2.5" wide at the heel and guitars are generally 2 3/16" wide at the heel. A custom body would be the way to go if you have the tools & skills.

ken

why would anyone want a solid body as big as a bass body?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate