I have never felt so out of my depth before in a piece of software but Reason Essentials is just so, so, confusing.

The Audio interface is good thats on and working. Reason on the other hand.. What the hell am i looking at. iv been fiddeling for hours now and i cant seem to get any of the effects on the rack to come out of the headphones it's all a clean sound, i can't apply the effects to a clean recording. I cant load the plugins that came with the Audio Interface let alone find an option or helpful tip online to any of these (What should seem to be simple) processes.

What i need is a complete idiot's guide to this DAW which i cant find, or a helpfull hand in what to be typing to google to get these answers.

All i'm trying to achieve is get the effects to work cause the tutorials i have been watching seem to just load the rack effect and bang it works. i bet theres a setting i have missed along the way.

Anyways confused rant over.. little help?
Thanks

i will say i havent gotten any monitors yet. Though i am using headphones out of the Interface.

__ Quick edit: Prior to this I used Cooledit pro (years ago) which was a pirated copy. used a crappy £2 mic from asda and stuck that up the amps arse.
This is obviously a lot more sophisticated and I don't know any of the terms like VST or AUST (is it?) if you wouldn't mind explaining your acronyms that'd be helpful.___
"If you watch the jaws movie backwards, its about a shark who regurgitates people untill they have to open a beach."
Last edited by dobby240 at Jan 16, 2016,
Try this maybe:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBW5Gm5y_HA

It is possible that DAW just doesn't work for you. You can try Reaper and see if you like it.

BTW, Cooledit is still around, Adobe bought the program and is now called Audition.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 16, 2016,
Cool thanks i shall have a look but i am using Essentials 8 not 6 iv no idea if that makes a massive difference.
"If you watch the jaws movie backwards, its about a shark who regurgitates people untill they have to open a beach."
I gave the fuck up on Reason. It pissed me off immensely. Like no full screen and stuff? Get that away from my face. Reaper is probably the better option since Reaper is a lot more kind of, real instruments based? Whereas Reason is more for that guy that wants to rap and move to the 626.

Still can't beat Cubase LE8 in my opinion.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
I gave the fuck up on Reason. It pissed me off immensely. Like no full screen and stuff? Get that away from my face. Reaper is probably the better option since Reaper is a lot more kind of, real instruments based? Whereas Reason is more for that guy that wants to rap and move to the 626.

Still can't beat Cubase LE8 in my opinion.

Um great but iv just bought this so I kinda wanna learn from it instead of bashing it straight up and saying go try reaper.

I am starting to see that reason is very much a EDM geared DAW but they have some good guitar racks available from what I can see if i can just get them to work... ya know the reason why i started this thread.
Quote by dobby240
Um great but iv just bought this so I kinda wanna learn from it instead of bashing it straight up and saying go try reaper.

I am starting to see that reason is very much a EDM geared DAW but they have some good guitar racks available from what I can see if i can just get them to work... ya know the reason why i started this thread.

Problem is, not many people on this forum are going to be using Reason - for the reason you just stated. Honestly youtube and google is your best bet for setting Reason up. Watch the video posted above by diabolical, go through the entire thing - it'll probably guide you through the set up process. If it doesn't, google 'Reason setup process'

Reaper is free to have a go at also.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Reason is one of the least popular DAWs, just saying. If you can make it work, good.
I got Fruity loops bundled in with another purchase, spent countless hours trying to make sense of it, it never clicked, so then just ditched it.
Well this is quite a shame :/ i will keep at it for now obviously i won't be giving up so easily because I have just purchased this DAW and i want to learn from it no matter how small or large the learning process is and keep searching for that perfect DAW for my requirements thanks for your help everyone!
Hey I've been using Reason for a few years and I maybe able to help you out a bit. First off with the plugins that came with your interface can not be used in Reason. One of Reasons biggest strengths and weaknesses is that it doesn't accept third party VSTs outside of their own Rack Extensions that developers do and can be purchased through the Prop shop. The reasoning behind this is that it keeps everything optimized for the program putting less strain on your CPU.

Now in regards to your effects not working, is this only when your recording or all time? If it's only when your recording you may have some sort of hardware monitoring setup with your interface to reduce latency.

If it's all the time in the top left corner of every rack there is a toggle switch labeled bypass/on/off. Make sure that it is not in the bypass or off position. If it is in the on position your next step would be to hit the tab key, this will flip the rack to the back so you can see how all the cables are routed. Make sure there is a cable routed from your audio track's output or fx send to the effects input and then from the audio tracks output (if using fx loop) or fx output back into the mixer channel.

Now all this setup should be done automatically when you drag and drop effects of instruments into the rack. The only other thing I can think of is if your accidentally dragging it to the wrong track, but by flipping the rack to the back you should be able to tell if that is the case or not.

Hopefully this helps for now and if you have any further questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Last edited by KillRoy Ver 3.0 at Jan 27, 2016,