I was checking out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_QEk1Fyi8w

I noticed he uses straight up alternate picking when moving across strings.
This of course only makes the speed he achieves even more amazing in my opinion.

When I picked up his picking technique 2-3 years ago, I didn't try to copy it precisely. I just adopted the finger anchoring and pick holding stance.

So where Mab might do the following on a three notes per string ascending sequence:
DUD UDU DUD UDU Or descending: UDU DUD UDU DUD

I adopted a technique that removes the switching of stroke direction when moving through the strings (essentially a 2 string sweep pick):
DUD DUD DUD DUD Or Ascending: UDU UDU UDU UDU

I couldn't personally fathom adding in the extra seemingly inefficient stroke. I prefer to combine alternate, economy and double string sweep picking wherever possible.
Last edited by mik James at Jan 16, 2016,
The reason professional musicians shouldn't anchor is to prevent people from emulating it, thinking it's some form of good technique.

A lot of people like alt picking because of the rhythm. If you purely alt pick, you can keep a steady rhythm with your picking hand. In economy picking, you need to slow down your picking hand a little with every string change, and a lot of people hate that. Economy picking is also very situational, and most people don't want to learn two separate techniques just because it might improve the efficiency in their 3nps scales a little bit.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
The reason professional musicians shouldn't anchor is to prevent people from emulating it, thinking it's some form of good technique.

A lot of people like alt picking because of the rhythm. If you purely alt pick, you can keep a steady rhythm with your picking hand. In economy picking, you need to slow down your picking hand a little with every string change, and a lot of people hate that. Economy picking is also very situational, and most people don't want to learn two separate techniques just because it might improve the efficiency in their 3nps scales a little bit.

That's a very strong opinion you have there

You didn't speak to one of the main points I made in my post, but that's fine, you can read back over it if you like

Economy picking was more of a secondary point. I've found a combination of alt, eco, and sweep picking to allow for an excellent combo of not just efficiency but also flexibility.

I'm certainly not criticizing Michael Angelo, just trying to better understand why he chose the path of alt picking without combinations of other techniques.

I don't believe I would have reached the picking speed and fluidity I have today if I hadn't focused on utilizing all three techniques I mentioned in a combination, but that's just me. I'm sure there are downsides to both routes, that's why I started this thread (to discuss it).
Quote by mik James
That's a very strong opinion you have there

About the anchor or the picking? I'll explain my stance about economy picking is a sec, but if you meant my remark about anchoring, I 100% stand behind my opinion. Anchoring is bad technique.

Quote by mik James

Economy picking was more of a secondary point. I've found a combination of alt, eco, and sweep picking to allow for an excellent combo of not just efficiency but also flexibility.

I'm certainly not criticizing Michael Angelo, just trying to better understand why he chose the path of alt picking without combinations of other techniques.

I don't believe I would have reached the picking speed and fluidity I have today if I hadn't focused on utilizing all three techniques I mentioned in a combination, but that's just me. I'm sure there are downsides to both routes, that's why I started this thread (to discuss it).

I use economy picking, alt picking and sweeping all mixed up just like you. My point was not to criticize economy picking. You stated that you "couldn't fathom that extra stroke", so I tried to give some insight to why someone would favor pure alt picking, as it is completely logical. So I did try to explain why MAB might have gone that route, I'm not sure if I made any sense.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
About the anchor or the picking? I'll explain my stance about economy picking is a sec, but if you meant my remark about anchoring, I 100% stand behind my opinion. Anchoring is bad technique.

I use economy picking, alt picking and sweeping all mixed up just like you. My point was not to criticize economy picking. You stated that you "couldn't fathom that extra stroke", so I tried to give some insight to why someone would favor pure alt picking, as it is completely logical. So I did try to explain why MAB might have gone that route, I'm not sure if I made any sense.

I see, fair enough. You didn't mention the sweeping aspect of picking through to the next string in the same stroke, so I wasn't sure you had read it.

On the topic of anchoring, I don't always make use of it. When I need to make use of more than a few strings it becomes impractical for me. When i'm just picking a run on a couple of strings however it provides a nice balance to gather extra speed and precision.

So where it has worked so well for me and many other guitarists I would say there is to much of a divide to say for certain that it is bad technique. I would take more of a do what works for you stance on it. I'd love to understand more about why you don't like it though?
a car that gets 7 miles to the gallon still gets you from a to b, it just uses more gas.

His playing is inefficient, it just doesn't matter because he still plucks the string at the right time anyway.
Quote by mik James
So where it has worked so well for me and many other guitarists I would say there is to much of a divide to say for certain that it is bad technique. I would take more of a do what works for you stance on it. I'd love to understand more about why you don't like it though?

Help my understand what it means that it works for you? It's not a guitar technique. It's just a limitation. How do you benefit from anchoring? Sure, you could say that it helps you pick accurately and evenly, but if you put any effort into it you can get the same results without anchoring. At best, anchoring means that you completely ignore the fingers in your picking hand (which are very useful tools) by planting them onto the body. At worst, you risk injury because it's not very ergonomic to keep a finger still on the body while the rest of your arm moves quickly. One of the reasons I quit anchoring was because it started hurting my fingers. You seem to be all for efficiency and ergonomy, so I don't see why you think that anchoring is beneficial?
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail