So i was just watching this vid and Mike Eldred from the Fender Custom Shop thinks that the wood used for the neck changes the sound of a guitar more than the pickups do.

http://youtu.be/XPUPiP2BfpM

He says it at around 03:26

What are your thoughts on neck wood?

I am sleptical that it can change the sound as much as he claims but i'm not a Fender Custom Shop builder.
the wood used for the neck changes the sound of a guitar more than the pickups do.

No.

This topic has been done to death. If you have a relatively conventional instrument (one made out of hardwood and not sponge or styrofoam), playing in relatively conventional circumstances (playing in your bedroom or in a band), the difference wood makes to tone is not appreciable outside of placebo. There are too many factors at play which make a far greater difference that any effect that wood may have will be completely mitigated by those other variables.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2016,
^^^^^Yes, the topic, and tonewoods in general, have been done to death and generate a lot more heat than light.

My take on this is that I trust my ears when choosing guitars, and my expectations for a tonewood effect in a solid body are very low. - But I would take it into account if building a custom guitar (after weight!!), on the premise that it can't do any harm and might do some good.