i am just curious to see what you think.

MIA strat with a maple board HH (pickups of my choice) and the trem blocked

OR

Charvel So-Cal, with SD's and a floyd (i don't really need the floyd though so i am indifferent).

_____

What would you do? they end up at a similar price in the end up around the same price.

_____

initiate opinions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Have you played either one yet? I can't consider myself a pro at this, but trying one out is always a good move if you can.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Have you played either one yet? I can't consider myself a pro at this, but trying one out is always a good move if you can.

Throughout time, yes. This is more or less theoretical though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Charvel.

1) I don't care for Fender's ergonomics. Purely personal.

2) I'd rather have a guitar that is fully functional than one I've partially disabled.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Honestly, if you don't need the Floyd, then get the Strat. Floyd would just be unnecessary hassle IMO.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
To clarify 2) in my previous post in light of 67_67's post, if I were not looking for a trem, I wouldn't look at either- I'd only be looking at hardtails.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by 67_67
Honestly, if you don't need the Floyd, then get the Strat. Floyd would just be unnecessary hassle IMO.

I'd say this.I really like the look of the SoCal,Always fancied a white one but the Floyd put me off.Not sure if there is a hard tail version.I thought i'd seen that or the San Dimas in hard tail before iirc?
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jan 17, 2016,
are you talking about the new MIM charvel (which i haven't tried) or a used MIJ or MIA one?

i haven't tried the USA standards recently (and i'm not sure i've tried the HHes at all)

this is going well

what type of stuff are you playing?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you talking about the new MIM charvel (which i haven't tried) or a used MIJ or MIA one?

i haven't tried the USA standards recently (and i'm not sure i've tried the HHes at all)

this is going well

what type of stuff are you playing?

This is more of a theoretical query.

I would try to go MIJ or USA for a charvel. I haven't tried the MIM charvel but I have tried a jackson DK2M that was MIM and it was fine. Still would prefer MIJ or USA though.

I play a lot of blues/rock, and metal from Down to shadows fall to LOG to Black dahlia murder. I also do some Vai or dream Theater type of leads.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Charvel.

1) I don't care for Fender's ergonomics. Purely personal.

2) I'd rather have a guitar that is fully functional than one I've partially disabled.

I wouldn't really think of the fender would be considered partially disabled. Just different pickguard and electronics.

One other thing is that the USA Strat electronics would go straight into one of my MIM.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'd go for the Strat. I like them better personally, it probably holds value better (it does here at least) and the hassle of the floyd isn't worth it imo if you're indifferent to it. Having the electronics from the strat in a MIM you already have is a nice bonus, but even without that, I'd still get the Strat.

The Strat probably has routing for any configuration you want, I'd think, which doesn't limit you to HH should you ever want to change it.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I'd go for the Strat. I like them better personally, it probably holds value better (it does here at least) and the hassle of the floyd isn't worth it imo if you're indifferent to it. Having the electronics from the strat in a MIM you already have is a nice bonus, but even without that, I'd still get the Strat.

The Strat probably has routing for any configuration you want, I'd think, which doesn't limit you to HH should you ever want to change it.

I already have 4 trem guitars (all ibanez prestige) and i don't really think i need another. The only way I would want another unless it was a OFR Schaller or Gotoh or another edge.

Good point about the swimming pool route.

Another thing is that i should mention that I would want a maple fretboard. I can find either that way but it would be easier to find on a strat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've got a US strat, a MIJ dk2 and a MIM charvel. Seriously, don't fret about MIM. The charvel has a much nicer bridge than the MIJ dk2 and the build quality is comparable.

Buy the you (hypothetically) like the feel of.
Maple on a strat shouldn't be that hard to find, indeed. Also, you probably have more options on color and stuff with the strat.
Quote by -Ed-
I've got a US strat, a MIJ dk2 and a MIM charvel. Seriously, don't fret about MIM. The charvel has a much nicer bridge than the MIJ dk2 and the build quality is comparable.

Buy the you (hypothetically) like the feel of.

i just looked at the MIM charvels, and the trems are recessed which IIRC they were top mount on the MIJ and USA. that is a plus. IF i decide if i want a trem.

i see a couple of hardtail charvels, but i am not sure how much i like the HS configuration, and they don't offer a hardtail in HH.

by "original floyd" is it just a FR1000 or like a schaller or gotoh?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
this is a hardtail jackson dk2ht with a pair of buckers here for $800. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-dinky-dk2ht-electric-guitar

i am not sure if i prefer the charvel or the jackson (trem or hardtail) now. i like them both and they are pretty close in specs to eachother. actually can't get much closer.

still thinking about fender though, but i actually like that jackson a lot OR just getting a charvel with a floyd.

are there any hard tail US strats? (i do have a showmaster though and i think that is the only hardtail fender i have seen with a pair of buckers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I think the only one was the Niles Rodgers Hitmaker one, which is currently out of production as anything but its Squier incarnation.

I seem to recall seeing used ones going for @$4800.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think the only one was the Niles Rodgers Hitmaker one, which is currently out of production as anything but its Squier incarnation.

I seem to recall seeing used ones going for @$4800.

ahhh. that us just a little over budget... haha. damn.

got any good suggestions other than jackson/charvel/fender? (i already have a fleet of ibanezs as you probably know).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Well...budget? Features?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well...budget? Features?

i don't know. under a grand used. hardtail or good trem. HH or HSH maybe HSS but that is my least favorite of the bunch. i don't care if it is active or passive. just something interesting. thinner neck, think jackson or ibanez, but a little meatier wouldn't be the end of the world.

superstrat, don't care about number of frets. scale doesn't matter.

_______

i am getting a new computer first though so it may be a month or three depending what i end up with as far as the computer goes. i am also considering a seven string so that might be first after the computer. that is going to be an ibanez prestige for sure.

_______

i am liking that dk2mht or whatever though. so i may see if i can find a decent one of those used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You might take a look at the Fernandes Dragonfly (hardtail) Revolver (trem) or Retrorocket (HSS Fat Strat).

Oddly, the Classic Revolver is a lot more like their Retrorocket, in that it is a HSS Fat Strat, but it has all the best of their components: MIJ, Gotoh, Seynour Duncans, Sustainer, Wilkinson trem.

You could look for a used US Schecter as well, but that may be looking for a needle in a haystack. Not a superstrat, but the EVH Wolfgang, maybe? Or a Musicman of some sorts, if that falls into budget somehow.

Quote by I K0nijn I
You could look for a used US Schecter as well, but that may be looking for a needle in a haystack. Not a superstrat, but the EVH Wolfgang, maybe? Or a Musicman of some sorts, if that falls into budget somehow.

I am not a big Schecter person.

I own a USA Peavey Wolfgang, so I am covered there.

I would love a jp ebmm or an axis. I forgot about them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I can't really think of something else. Used Carvin, maybe? I don't have any personal experience with them, but almost everyone is very positive on them and they seem to do about anything you can think of.
I have seen some STOOPID low prices on used Carvins on eBay & Reverb the past few months...

Godin's recently discontinued Freeway SA is an option- new ones are running @$900.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm

You'd probably LOVE the Godin Passion RG2, but I think that used, they're still over $1500.

dk2ht for $500ish https://reverb.com/item/1573818-jackson-pro-series-dinky-dk2ht-electric-guitar

that is pretty damn tempting. but i need a computer more than a 24ish electric guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2016,

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2016,

Quote by trashedlostfdup
This is more of a theoretical query.

I would try to go MIJ or USA for a charvel. I haven't tried the MIM charvel but I have tried a jackson DK2M that was MIM and it was fine. Still would prefer MIJ or USA though.

I play a lot of blues/rock, and metal from Down to shadows fall to LOG to Black dahlia murder. I also do some Vai or dream Theater type of leads.

yeah i haven't tried the MIM charvels or jacksons yet. heard some reports that they're actually pretty good, but

as you said later in the thread the MIMs have recessed floyds so that might be useful for vai

Quote by trashedlostfdup

by "original floyd" is it just a FR1000 or like a schaller or gotoh?

it's the frt-1000, if you're talking about the MIM charvels.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ad_works
charvel -compound radius fretboard.

That isn't really a big deal to me.

I got my new computer today!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i just looked at the MIM charvels, and the trems are recessed which IIRC they were top mount on the MIJ and USA. that is a plus.

The toothpaste logo MIJ Charvels had recessed mount trems, most of the pre 1989 MIJ model series where top mount and still had the plastic nut with the lock nut just mounted behind it. They also had the JT6 trem, the 89-91 had the Schaller Floyd JT590.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge