So I've been playing for the past year now and I don't see myself progressing. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate level.

I see my picking and fretting speed very slow. I feel like I've been practicing wrong.

Any recommended videos on youtube I should check about making both my fretting and picking speed better and faster ?

Currently I'm only trying to learn songs. I can't even play an easy song properly like house of the rising sun.

The problem is that there aren't any good music teachers where I live and they're expensive. Even music teachers and music shops tell me to learn by myself from the internet. I guess I have to master things by myself. I'm a master of myself.
Last edited by Saloooh91 at Jan 17, 2016,
No online resource will ever be as valuable as one-on-one lessons with an actual teacher, but I know how hard it can be to find someone competent in certain areas. So in light of that, either try to find online lessons with someone through Skype or something (they will be expensive, but it will be worth it in the end), or else check out some instructional videos like John Petrucci's Rock Discipline, Marty Friedman's Melodic Control, or Paul Gilbert's Get out of my Yard.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'd recommend watching Pebber Browns videos on YouTube. I've been doing he's stuff for a year and it's improved my playing massively. But be prepared to practice lots and it's the only way to really get any good.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Whilst what the 2 nice people that answered you just said was very true and important, i need to stress practice. What i recommend is, first, make sure your technique and understanding of whatever you're trying to accomplish is correct, find that out by either taking lessons or youtube, whichever floats your boat. Once you've confirmed that don't set a deadline for having to learn something specific, i know a great guitarist that plays/teaches for a living that has said he's been practicing the same song everyday for 3 years now and he's yet to be done with it. Just keep practicing!

P.s - The song's Caprice No.5 by Paganini, he's working on a rendition of it.
I found that when I was learning I improved a lot in speed by reducing the amount of work that my hands are doing.

By teaching myself to alternate pick and use my four fingers on my left hand I made my playing more efficient.

Give Plug in Baby by Muse a go. The main riff is essentially a scale and it has a few different elements that are good for practice.

I can't stress enough that you have to start out slow and gradually increase your speed. Get a metronome (there's tonnes online) and set it slow and slowly build up. I used to use like Guitar Pro and turn the speed down. I'm not sure what programs there are to use now.

When I was younger going back 11 years or so I was heavily into Green Day, and that helped me a lot because a lot of their songs are predominantly power chords. It's good for timing.

Is there anyone you know that plays an instrument? Try jamming with them, I got so much better just by playing with other people.

I've been playing for about 18 years, and I could barely play anything for about 7 years, until I really started putting the effort in.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?