As the tittle says it. Been playing for a year now and haven't learn one chord.

Do I need to learn/memorize them in order to progress ?
Presuming you just want to play guitar for fun, just learn chords when you have to to play music you want to play.

If you want to be a professional musician, holy shit you need to learn chords!
I have been playing a long time and 95% or more of what I play when I am on a gig involves playing rhythm guitar (chords). I can't imagine that you can create a decent melodic solo without knowing the chords the song is based on. All you would be able to do is spit out meaningless boxed scale patterns and even then you'd be guessing whether it even fit the songs chord pattern. Chords are the basis of any song.

Freepower is correct if you just want to sit around playing leads for your own amusement I guess you don't need to learn any chords but if you ever plan to play with other musicians you better be well versed in playing rhythm guitar also. What do you plan to do just stand around while other people back you up, then play the solo and go back to standing around? I don't think that's going to happen.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 17, 2016,
Quote by Saloooh91

Then you don't find it boring, you just never tried. Open up your mind and give it a go.
You probably play a lot of chords and chord inversions but don't know their names. What you mean is, you don't like learning chords without a song to apply them to.
Quote by Freepower
Presuming you just want to play guitar for fun, just learn chords when you have to to play music you want to play.

If you want to be a professional musician, holy shit you need to learn chords!

Tell Elliott Smith, Thurston Moore, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Joni Mitchell, etc. that.

They did just fine playing it by ear.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Saloooh91

In a word. Yes
play well

wolf
Quote by Vampire_State
Tell Elliott Smith, Thurston Moore, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Joni Mitchell, etc. that.

They did just fine playing it by ear.

It's absolute bullshit claiming that those guitarists didn't know chords. You don't need to know the names really, if you play chords by ear you're still learning chords and using chords. And each one of them would probably be a tiny bit better if they did learn them properly
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Saloooh91

Depends on what you want to progress into. If you want to gig with other players, chords are pretty essential. If your goal is simply "private bedroom noodler" maybe you don't need chords at all.

Just learn songs you like. If the songs involve chords, learn those. Over time you will increase your vocabulary.
I found it boring learning chords too.

Then I found out once I learned a couple I could play a song.

Never been the same since...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Lot of players (soloists) say that you're only as good as your chord knowledge.

I took that on-board, and think it really helps. Maj, min and 7 chords are just the beginning. There are amazing sounds lurking there.

For example, try this shape:

5 (treble E string)
x
x (bass E string)

This is movable. Play the A minor blues scale along the treble E string, and align the treble note of the above shape with each of these scale notes. Instant jazz.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jan 24, 2016,