So I just got my first car (2008 Dodge Durango Limited) and it has an outlet behind the center console. It's just the two plug without a ground. I'm wanting to plug my amp into it, I have a small 10W Fender and a 150W Fender Mustang IV. The outlet is limited to 150W. My concerns are,
1. Will it be OK to use an amp without a ground?
2. If I decide to plug my 150W amp into it will it be OK with the outlets 150W maximum?
You would probably want the car running if you were using the 150 watt or you will kill your battery. The 10 watt would be fine for a little bit.

Edit if you plan on using it a lot get a optima or kinetic (my preference). They would handle it better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 17, 2016,
1. Yes, amps used to not have a ground prongs at all, but that had its drawbacks.

2. 150 watts is the output, an amp must necessarily draw more power than it produces in sound since some of the energy is dissipated in heat. You're probably fine if you don't crank it.

As a last note, I've used amps with power inverters in cars before. In my experience the amp is usually very noisy and you can hear a lot of background noise from not having a 'clean' power source.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 17, 2016,
I actually know someone who did this with his Jeep, it sounded like shit, but it worked.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Guitar Rockher
So I just got my first car (2008 Dodge Durango Limited) and it has an outlet behind the center console. It's just the two plug without a ground. I'm wanting to plug my amp into it, I have a small 10W Fender and a 150W Fender Mustang IV. The outlet is limited to 150W. My concerns are,
1. Will it be OK to use an amp without a ground?
2. If I decide to plug my 150W amp into it will it be OK with the outlets 150W maximum?
So long as you don't attemot to run your MIV anywhere near full volume, you should be fine from a current draw standpoint. If you do exceed the rsted current draw for the inverter outlet in your vehicle it will be protected with a fuse or circuit breaker that wil need to replaced/reset when it blows/trips. As for the ground issue, you'll know when you use the amp if your vehicle is well grounded and if the inverter outlet is well isolated (i.e providing clean power). If so, the amp should not suffer from any noise when the Alternator is running. Don't overlook that your guitar pickup and instrument cable can also act as antennas for the entry of interference, particularly so with single coil pickups.

It is a good idea to have the engine running to prevent undue drain on the car's battery.

Above all, bear in mind that the amp's quiescent current draw and during normal output volume levels is not going to be anywhere near 150 watts! You will not damage the amp, nor your vehicle by trying it.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I ran my 400W Alpine sound system in the car yesterday while I washed it for about 5 hours (detailed the entire car) and the battery never became weak, so it seems pretty strong!
Thanks again!
Unless you play for a VERY long time, you won't run your battery down. Folks worry about that sort of thing, but running the numbers shows it to be not nearly as much of a concern as some seem to think.

Of course there are a lot of different automotive batteries out there, with widely varying capacities, but even if you have it cranked most batteries should be able to power your 150w amp for 2-3 hours without concern.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Kevin Saale
1. Yes, amps used to not have a ground prongs at all, but that had its drawbacks.

2. 150 watts is the output, an amp must necessarily draw more power than it produces in sound since some of the energy is dissipated in heat. You're probably fine if you don't crank it.

As a last note, I've used amps with power inverters in cars before. In my experience the amp is usually very noisy and you can hear a lot of background noise from not having a 'clean' power source.

+1

I've done that before and it didn't sound all that great.