Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my amp, and I've been captivated by the concept of good amp modelers for a few reason: you get a whole bunch of different sounds with tons of versatility without having to buy each one, you can lower your output volume to bedroom levels without losing much tone, and they cost less and don't need the maintenance of tube amps.

Now I know lots of modeling amps/software/floorboard units royally suck (*cough* Spider), but on the other side things like the Line 6 Helix and Axe FX sound pretty much like the real deal and do all kinds of fancy tricks. The problem with these high end modellers is that they are just too expensive for me; I have a budget of only about $400.

Are there any ways I can get a lot of the way towards something like the Helix/Axe FX while staying in this budget? So far, I am considering a Fender Mustangs, Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, L6 Pod, L6 Amplifi, L6 Firehawk FX, or Zoom G3/G5. Which of these are the best, and which ones should I avoid? I play mainly blues, jazz, fusion, and rock, no modern metal sounds needed. Also, are there any more modelers that I should look for?

Thanks!
I'd throw the Peavey Vypyr and the Line 6 Flextone (used) on there in the name of covering all the bases.

The main concern is probably whether you want a modeler that is a complete amp (fender, vox, cube, vypyr, flextone) or if you want a modeler that is just a preamp (zoom, pod). If you go with just a preamp you will need some kind of monitor or headphones to listen to it. You would also need some sort of power amp and speakers to jam with friends. Also keep in mind something like a pod or the zoom (and probably some of the others as well) can be used as an interface for your computer, giving you the option of using computer based amp software. Assuming your computer is up to the task.

Right now I have a PODxt (got it used on ebay for about 100$ USD) and I usually just listen to it through my headphones (I have a decent set from Fostex) and if I want to jam out and let others listen I just hook it up to my HiFi system. Sounds good either way and I feel like I get some pretty decent sounds from it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 17, 2016,
i don't know why the flextone gets such good praise. miles above a spider, but it is still pretty sub-mediocre. i never owned one, but a friend did. and he didn't know much, so i set him the presets to my liking, and i was still wanting more.

i would take a vypyr 30 over a flextone. or a valvetronix depending on application.

i agree with kevin on the podXT (i am assuming the floor model) i had one in possession for a while a few years ago, and it was quite nice. especially for the $100ish they go for now used.

the x3 i don't have as much experience with, but from what i did do i thought it was an improvement. they go used for not much more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know why the flextone gets such good praise. miles above a spider, but it is still pretty sub-mediocre. i never owned one, but a friend did. and he didn't know much, so i set him the presets to my liking, and i was still wanting more.

i would take a vypyr 30 over a flextone. or a valvetronix depending on application.

i agree with kevin on the podXT (i am assuming the floor model) i had one in possession for a while a few years ago, and it was quite nice. especially for the $100ish they go for now used.

the x3 i don't have as much experience with, but from what i did do i thought it was an improvement. they go used for not much more.

Was the flextone a ii or a iii? I've heard the iii is supposed to be much better. It's basically just a pod with a power amp and a flat response speaker from my understanding. They go for 250 used all the time so they're worth considering either way.

I just have a regular podxt, not the floor model. I can't imagine there is any difference sound wise between the two.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Was the flextone a ii or a iii? I've heard the iii is supposed to be much better. It's basically just a pod with a power amp and a flat response speaker from my understanding. They go for 250 used all the time so they're worth considering either way.

I just have a regular podxt, not the floor model. I can't imagine there is any difference sound wise between the two.

i don't remember which it was. still at $250 you can get a vypyr tube 60. for the budget modeling amp thing goes, it doesn't get any better.

the xt and the floor are both the same as far as i know as far as software goes. just bean vs. floor board. for the money they are pretty sweet.

i am waiting for the HD500's to drop in price, and i will be picking up one of them for sure. i don't care if it is x model or not.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What do you think of the Mustang amps, and how do they compare in tone quality to the Vox Valvetronix series, Peavey Vyper, and Flextone?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

The Pod XTs are actually pretty good, and if you're mostly playing in your bedroom, I'd suggest getting the "bean" version instead of the "Live" (floor model). The last Pod XT bean I bought was $87, and it'll fit in the front pocket of a lot of gig bags. If you need a foot pedal, you'll find that the FBV Express II will do MOST of what you'll want, and used it's around $50 (half the $99 new price).

The X3 doesn't add anything in terms of sound quality. It is, in fact, the same firmware as the XT mated to more powerful electronics. That means that you can run two separate rigs at once. In addition, the X3 comes with most of the modeling packs that were available originally for the XT *built in,* which is nice. It also comes with most of the Bass Pod XT sounds built in. Again, the bean version is more compact and out of the way, unless you're playing live, in which case you only need run an ethernet cable to either the FBV Express or Shortboard. The latter is available used for about half its $199 new price, and all of these pedals will work on bean or rackmount XTs, X3s and HDs.

If you need to move air, there are powered speakers that weigh less than 30 lbs and that cost less than $300, that can be used as monitor wedges or put on speaker stands and that have 400W RMS or more. With this kind of rig, 400W RMS isn't overkill; it just gives you better bottom end response at any volume level you choose.
If you save a little more, you can get an Amplifire. That's about that best one you can get below the really high end stuff.
Recently sold my AmpliFi - with some tweaking you can get pretty cool sounds out of it, and with the cloud stuff I think it's pretty great. Only problem I had with it really was the size which is why I sold it to get an amplifire

Quote by JELIFISH19
If you save a little more, you can get an Amplifire. That's about that best one you can get below the really high end stuff.

Have you played one yourself? Any thoughts?
Quote by gabrielmukobi
What do you think of the Mustang amps, and how do they compare in tone quality to the Vox Valvetronix series, Peavey Vyper, and Flextone?
The Fender Mustang (v2) III and IV combos are extremely versatile! They are also supported by the Fender FUSE community of available Presets. Many of these Community Presets are excellent and eliminate your having to reinvent the wheel should you not be inclinded to venture through the Advanced Amps's features and learning curve. The Mustang III is a 1x12 and includes the 2btn fsw. It can be found as low as $249 when on sale. The Mustang IV is a 2x12 and comes with the more feature rich 4btn fsw. The MIV when marked down on sale goes for just a bit more than $400.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps