Im in a bit of a predicament with my tone from my Peavey 6505+ combo. I have my mids on the amp turned up to 6 and have an mxr 10 band in kind of a scooped shape because that amp sounds like crap with too much mid range. But I want to have mids so that I can cut through my band because at the moment I cant hear myself at all when were playing unless I turn up the mids on the eq and like I said, that makes it sound like garbage, almost like a pillow over the speaker.
I assume heavier genres considering the gear?

Get a Tubescreamer or another nasally kind of drive that saturate well, and try to sit in the high mids. The problem with many DIY metal mixing is that everyone is very mid-heavy, and when you throw all that mid and gain together you get a mess.

Roll off your lows, tell your bassist to roll off his highs. They might not sound super great when you play by yourselves, but it'll sound way better when you play together.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If you consider Metallica, and Exodus, Pantera, and British heavy metal the heavier genres. And right now im running this mxr od in front as a boost and it sounds decent.
I was kind of a dumbass when I bought this amp too like I didnt know shit about what I wanted from an amp so thats why its the 6505+ If I had known that kind of sound I wanted back then I wouldve bought a Marshall
Does it still have the peavey speakers in it? Those are generally considered to be mediocre at best. I think V30s are meant to sound pretty good with that amp. You could even grab some Veteran 30s from WGS for pretty cheap.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah I actually just bought one a couple of weeks ago and it definitely improved the tone but its still pretty gross sounding
Have you tried a stand to tilt it back or raise it off the floor? I'm guessing the amp is sitting straight on the floor, which would mean that all the volume is projecting at your legs. The problem might not be EQ, but just positioning.

How are you rehearsing, as in: what kind of setup are you running as a band? Are you in a circle pointing inwards, are you set-up like you would be on a stage, or maybe something different?

Is it only you that finds it a problem to hear your amp, or have the other people in your band talked about it as well? You could be standing opposite the 810 bass cab your bassist has for all we know, in which case it wouldn't surprise me that you can't hear anything.
The biggest problem with your setup is your distasteful amount of F1 memorabilia.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
By the looks of the rather small bass amp, are you sure you're loud enough? I don't mean you should drown out your bass player or drummer, but it might be the issue.

Also, if you're standing like I think you are - in a stage kind-of setup, I don't find it surprising you can't hear yourself. You would be standing right in front of the amp, which isn't ideal. The bassist probably can't hear you over the drum in between you guys either.

Is your drummer pounding the kit? Might be an issue as well. If he's hitting his cymbals like there's no tomorrow, they probably drown out everything. Maybe important: what can you actually hear when you play besides the drums? Do you hear the bass over the drums? Can you hear the vocals (like a layer on top, not someone mumbling in a microphone)?

I can see you're rehearsing in a home, which might not allow you to get the best possible set-up; but I'd suggest trying to get in a circle facing inwards. It's what I've always done with my bands, because it usually allows for the lowest volumes and being able to hear everything well.

In the set-up you're playing, the tendency can be that the bass player can't hear himself over the drum, which leads him to turning up, then you turning up because you can't hear and the drummer then hitting harder because he hears you're turning up and so on. Very unhealthy both mentally for your band (because you'll start blaming each other for wanting to play louder) and your ears.
We can hear everything else perfectly and the bass amp actually isnt turned up all that loud. Its just the guitar amp thats being unhearable. And because of the genious design of my basement there is no room to move around so were kind of stuck in front of our amps.
Well, if you can hear everything else fine, I'd suggest turning your amp up a little bit so it sits better in the mix. I don't know how experienced you are in a band situation and while playing too loud isn't good, you shouldn't be afraid to turn up. It seems like you know that you need the mid frequencies, so I'm guessing the EQ is fine. I don't know how high you're running the gain, but don't overdo it. Clarity wins over tons of gain almost always.
My gains actually at about 4 because im running that boost in front but when practicing with the band my volume is at like 6 which is pretty high for that amp and I still have a hard time hearing it.
I think K0nijn raises a good point about where you're standing. My band practices with the amps aligned like our stage setup but we all stand like 10 feet back and face the amps. Sometimes the other guitarist and I stand in front of each other's amps.
Are you running both the combo speaker and the cab at the same time, by the way? Could it be that you're just bypassing the combo speaker and going into the cab?

I don't know if it's at all possible (because we only see one wall of the room), but can't you move around a table or something when you want to rehearse to create more space? Or worst case, move into another room that isn't packed with stuff?
Throw the stock speaker in the trash and get a vintage 30.

I don't think that you want you're gain that high either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by samuel-hepfer
My gains actually at about 4 because im running that boost in front but when practicing with the band my volume is at like 6 which is pretty high for that amp and I still have a hard time hearing it.

Wait. Stop right there. Volume is at 6??? You're already deaf, dude. It should be drowning-out everything in the room at that volume. Even if you were playing with John Bonham.

Something is definitely wrong. Mine is STUPID loud at 3. THREE. Granted, I play it through a 412, but it was still ridiculous as a combo at that level. Just to clarify -- you are running a Vintage 30 now? That should cut like a mother------.

What are your settings on the MXR? The only mids I cut on mine are the 500hz mids, from about -4 to -6db depending on the situation. I keep the 250hz at zero and boost the 125hz a little (which is high-bass, really). Set anything lower than that to zero or even cut your 62.5hz a little. Boost at 1khz and boost the 2khz even more. Those are the ranges that help you cut through a mix without sounding like a wah left cocked forward.

Next, what are your bass and resonance settings? You probably would never need a setting of more than 6 in a band setting. Trying to coax too much bass out of the amp is the same as cutting too much mids -- you're wasting energy on frequencies better produced by a bass guitar.

Finally, when was the last time you replaced your power tubes? The stock Shugyang/Rubys that come with the amp are crap, by the way. A matched set of JJ 6L6s are a whole new ballgame. Could be your power tubes are worn out and thus not producing the volume like they should.

But really, you should never, never, ever need to set your volume on 6.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Put all of the guitar amps /speakers right behind the drummer and everybody stand in front of the drummer, as many feet away as you can. Your rehearsal sound will never sound as good as a recorded mix you might be comparing to because A. a recording is heavily processed and B. in a mix, you hear all of the sound coming from one source (i.e the speakers); when you jam in a room and you have amps all over the place, facing different directions ect, the sound isnt really getting a chance to "blend" together well.

The thing that really makes guitars sound good is the rest of the mix, not really the guitar or your settings alone. That being said, I recommend running your 6505 with the bass on 6-7, mids at 2-3.5, treble at 6-7, presence at 5-6, and resonance at around 4.5-5.5. Depending on your guitar and what youre playing, gain should probably be at 2.5-4. Turn your volume up just high enough that you are hearing the high mids and treble over the bass/drums, but let your low end blend with the bass guitar and kick.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Things that often cause guitar tone to get mushy and indistinct:

1. Scooped MXR EQ
2. Too much gain
3. Too much bass on the guitar amp
4. Room nodes causing weird hot spots/dead spots
5. Band simply too loud for the room
6. Amp placement

Process of elimination...
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Im in a bit of a predicament with my tone from my Peavey 6505+ combo. I have my mids on the amp turned up to 6 and have an mxr 10 band in kind of a scooped shape because that amp sounds like crap with too much mid range. But I want to have mids so that I can cut through my band because at the moment I cant hear myself at all when were playing unless I turn up the mids on the eq and like I said, that makes it sound like garbage, almost like a pillow over the speaker.

1) Forget the eq pedal for now - take it out of your chain or keep it off.
2) Set your tone while jamming with your band - not in your bedroom! Volume affects everything - so when you're at jamming levels you need to adjust things specifically for that setting - this includes the gain and eq controls.
3) Start with your EQ controls set flat and only adjust as needed - eq is there as a corrective tool, you can't make any pre-judgments about EQ until you're in the room jamming. That's the nature of your problem, you're scooping out all the mids but that's making your sound disappear in the context of the band and that jam room.

A drive pedal could help, but that may just not be the amp for you. I highly suspect your simply using the settings you use at home when playing alone and assuming that will work when jamming - it won't - you need to really adjust everything so that it fits the volume levels and sits with the band.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Things that often cause guitar tone to get mushy and indistinct:

1. Scooped MXR EQ
2. Too much gain
3. Too much bass on the guitar amp
4. Room nodes causing weird hot spots/dead spots
5. Band simply too loud for the room
6. Amp placement

Process of elimination...

You should just make this your signature so every guitarist reads this at some point.
Quote by JustRooster
You should just make this your signature so every guitarist reads this at some point.

Uhhh, I am afraid my sigs cause heartburn for young players that still believe one more shiny pedal will solve all their tone problems. Learning is a process.
But...

But...

Shiny pedals!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Cajundaddy
Uhhh, I am afraid my sigs cause heartburn for young players that still believe one more shiny pedal will solve all their tone problems. Learning is a process.

wait, what? you mean there not. fuck next thing you're gonna say is there is no santa

agree take the mxr pedal out and try again. no reason you shouldn't be heard. i can't run my Ultra at 6 without killing children and small animals in a 500 ft radius. no way it should be that loud in a basement. bet your neighbors love you
Maybe some of the pedal settings are taking down the volume?

Going on monwobobbo advice, warn the children and small animals before running straight to the amp
Quote by Cajundaddy

I mean, hey now, I like shiny pedals!

Don't worry about the kids, they all get banned for multi accounts after they get tired of their first one.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
But...

But...

Shiny pedals!

He doesn't mean it! We're fine!

...we're fine, he doesn't mean it... right?
Yes we all agree, shiny pedals are fun. The trick is figuring out that you have to start with really good basic guitar tone first. Then add pedals for the sparkle.

It's kinda like a donut. If you start with a really good basic donut using fresh ingredients and high quality oils, it would taste pretty good on it's own. The frosting and rainbow sprinkles make it more funner. If your basic donut is rancid, no amount of sugar coating can fix that. It will just be rancid donut with sugar coating. Aaak! Rancid guitar tone is just as bad as rancid donuts.

Make a fresh tasty donut first.

(ok now you gotta admit, that is sig worthy)
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 21, 2016,
Quote by samuel-hepfer

just try this once may be and see if it works. Get rid of the pedal ,set tone controls on amp to bass 9 o'clock mid and treble to 3 o'clock.

bass turns into mud at a high volume in almost any room size. I don't know what the rock star use for the amp settings but they're not playing in small rooms for a few people.

Preceding information based on 46 years of playing in bands.
Last edited by yope at Jan 22, 2016,
I support the "don't scoop the mids" sentiment -- but this is a 6505+ we're talking about.

Those of you who haven't played one really shouldn't be talking about how to EQ it -- just sayin'.

This amp has a freighttrainload of mids. By turning the mids down to "2" -- you still don't have "scooped mids;" you're merely entering the realm of normal amps with their mids boosted. By running an MXR EQ and notching the 500hz, you can cut some of that overly-"vowely", "cocked wah" mids that don't do anything in a mix but hurt your ears. If your other mids are intact, it will still cut through a mix like a hot knife through butter.

TL/DR: It's pretty hard to scoop the mids too much on a 6505+. You'd have to pretty much zero the mids knob and/or notch all of the mid frequencies on your EQ pedal, which most people have the sense not to do.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have a 6505+ and its gets a damn good metal tone, it is however a USA 120w Head going through a 4x12 with Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat set and a vintage Maxxon built Ibanez TS9. I tried a few of the 6505+ import combos and they sound nothing like my head, most definitely ditch that Peavey speaker and get V30 or G12T 75 or something from Eminence I really like the sound of my Eminence Patriots made in USA and more affordable than Celestian.

+1 on the tilt
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge