Hello!

I was hoping someone could help me out with how to correctly setup my usb devices and my problem recording guitar. I just got most of these things over the christmas period so im quite a beginner

I currently have the following set up (i think correctly but not sure):

Reason 8 (PC)
Steinberg UR12
Akai MPK Mini II
using my Little Martin and a Kala ukulele

When recording, there is this weird echo or distortion sound on the guitar, even the pre click on the metronome or whatever its called has this echo or distortion too. Is this something simple I'm missing or do i have to mess with settings or?

Any help would be much appreciated.
ok so i know one of my problems now is that when im recording the audio track, its apparently re-recording the previous 4 tracks i made with the akai or something like that..

still has the echo and stuff when doing it by itself but not sure if this is all connected
Did you install the correct drivers for the device?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quadruple tracked ukeleles

Do any of the other tracks have this issue? If not, have you double checked that the guitar sound you've chosen is completely clean?

To problem solve:

Don't open reason or anything else. Press the button 'Direct Monitor' inwards, this way when your guitar is plugged in the sound should go straight through your audio interface (the Steinberg) and out your speakers. Now this should be a clean tone. Does it have any echo/distortion on it?

If it is a clean tone, then it's probably something Reason is doing. Either way let us know and we'll see what else can be done.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Quadruple tracked ukeleles

Do any of the other tracks have this issue? If not, have you double checked that the guitar sound you've chosen is completely clean?

To problem solve:

Don't open reason or anything else. Press the button 'Direct Monitor' inwards, this way when your guitar is plugged in the sound should go straight through your audio interface (the Steinberg) and out your speakers. Now this should be a clean tone. Does it have any echo/distortion on it?

If it is a clean tone, then it's probably something Reason is doing. Either way let us know and we'll see what else can be done.

Thanks so much for the info. No none of the other tracks have the same issue! I dont have my speakers unpacked yet, i'm going to do that tonight and set it up, but I did download reaper quickly just now and while it doesnt sound as perfectly clean as i was expecting, it sounds quite decent and doesn't have any of that echo or distortion, so i believe now it must be something with reason. I suppose i could probably import the recordings from reaper to reason but it would be nice to record it on reaper and mess around with the line 6 amps and other effects and such. Thanks again
Hmmm, let us know what the speakers do when you press the direct monitoring button. As for not being ultra clean, can you put a recording on soundcloud so i can hear what it's like? It might have something to do with the audio clipping perhaps?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
The echo I think that somehow appears in Reason could be that you might have picked other than the ASIO drivers. Look manual on setup audio interface with Reason. Another possibility is that you're somehow monitoring in realtime your input in the DAW and also your input at source (at the interface) so you're getting this smearing.

As far as the AKAI goes - it should be simple setup via USB into the PC and you should be good to go. I am sure there is a manual or how-to for the install. Once you load the drivers then your DAW should recognize it as hardware instrument or you might have to do hardware instrument setup on midi instrument track.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 19, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
Hmmm, let us know what the speakers do when you press the direct monitoring button. As for not being ultra clean, can you put a recording on soundcloud so i can hear what it's like? It might have something to do with the audio clipping perhaps?

The speakers are fine when i play it using that direct monitoring button, seems to go through nice and clean. I'll try to get a clip uploaded on soundcloud soon. there must be something im doing wrong in reason then
Quote by diabolical
The echo I think that somehow appears in Reason could be that you might have picked other than the ASIO drivers. Look manual on setup audio interface with Reason. Another possibility is that you're somehow monitoring in realtime your input in the DAW and also your input at source (at the interface) so you're getting this smearing.

As far as the AKAI goes - it should be simple setup via USB into the PC and you should be good to go. I am sure there is a manual or how-to for the install. Once you load the drivers then your DAW should recognize it as hardware instrument or you might have to do hardware instrument setup on midi instrument track.

smearing seems a good way to describe it actually, i was looking through the manual earlier this week and couldn't find anything helpful but ill have another go. like even when i press record on the track and don't play anything, it is almost re recording all the other sounds on that audio track, if that makes sense