I'm looking to buy a pocket mfx device for personal play of rock, metal, blues, etc.

I was looking at the Korg Pandora Mini, but didn't know if there were any other players in the game. Or, if the Mini is good/bad. All of the features I want (variety of amps/models, fx, aux in for backtrax, compact size) seem to be present in the mini.

I already have plenty of bigger gear (RP500, amps, cabs, mixer, pa, etc.), but I just want something to jam with backing tracks through headphones while sitting in a recliner.

Pandora mini? Something different?

Thx!
If all you want is to jam in a recliner, this thing is great. I use it for that and as a last resort backup in case everything goes FUBAR 5 minutes before I hit the stage...

Sounds great and lots of uses for the price, it does however eat batteries like candy and has a relatively low output.
I personally have a pair of Korg Pandora Px4s and a Pandora Px5, neither of which is still in production, as I recall. The little $99 Pandora is a streamlined and stripped down version. I think there is also a Pandora pedal.

Line 6's POD series is the most popular such device AFAIK.

Boss's Micro-BR series is pretty good. The top end ones are among the best there is.

Tascam makes the GT-R1.

There are probably others out there, too.

There are also apps for most mobile devices that have some similar capabilities.

And, of course, there are MFX pedals with headphone jacks from all kinds of companies.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2016,
I will check out some of those others you listed. I've tried the Pod stuff. Was never a fan.

My playing over the last couple of years was sparse after playing in a live band came to an end. I spent a pile of time on old cars and drag racing, and now I want to get my "soul" back.

I wanted to minimize having a bunch of cables and a complex setup, or else I would just plug into my mixer. The aux input on my RP500 broke.

I looked at guitar interfaces for mobile devices, but everything seemed to revolve around the apple world. I am an android guy, and that won't change. The few products I did see had complaints of latency. But that would be ideal: Single device, multiple amps/fx, and ability to play along with my collection of mp3 backing tracks.

Thanks for the inputs. Now time to research those suggestions.

I'm not even seeing the Mini at MusiciansFriend or Amazon. Must be a dead product. Seems like the Pandora Stomp has taken over. I guess I've been away for a bit.
Last edited by cheapr2keepr at Jan 18, 2016,
I beat the hell out of my Px4s. The two I have are my second & third.

The third, though, was more of a guarantee against the failure of the second one when the Px4 went out of production. #2 still works fine most of the time, but it does have its quirks, like sometimes simply not turning on, even with good batteries. There's clearly something knocked loose from one drop too many. #3, purchased used, has quirks of its own, like sometimes the volume will drop at first when you're turning it up, then go up.

Still, after multiple drops of 3'+, I'm not complaining.

The Px5 is better built, but doesn't have a belt/strap clip, so finding a solution to "wireless" style practice while moving around is a bit more challenging.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

It seems like the tech is available to put a good compact mfx/modeling package together, with some level of onboard memory storage for integrated mp3 play while jamming. Just looking for one less device to connect. If that was available, it should be able to record in mp3 format as well, so I can capture one of those awesome riffs that come about rarely, and are gone from my memory 3 hours later.

I'm guessing the apple people have been doing this for years, huh?
Quote by cheapr2keepr
I'm looking to buy a pocket mfx device for personal play of rock, metal, blues, etc.

I was looking at the Korg Pandora Mini, but didn't know if there were any other players in the game. Or, if the Mini is good/bad. All of the features I want (variety of amps/models, fx, aux in for backtrax, compact size) seem to be present in the mini.

I already have plenty of bigger gear (RP500, amps, cabs, mixer, pa, etc.), but I just want something to jam with backing tracks through headphones while sitting in a recliner.

Pandora mini? Something different?

Thx!

I have a Pandora PX5D.
There are a ton of other options out there, but I've run through a PX3D (still have it) a PX4 and the PX5D, which is now about five years old. There's an AC adapter available for the 5D.
Quote by cheapr2keepr
It seems like the tech is available to put a good compact mfx/modeling package together, with some level of onboard memory storage for integrated mp3 play while jamming. Just looking for one less device to connect. If that was available, it should be able to record in mp3 format as well, so I can capture one of those awesome riffs that come about rarely, and are gone from my memory 3 hours later.

I'm guessing the apple people have been doing this for years, huh?

Most of the PDRs have either some kind of jack to connect to a computer or a removable chip (like the ones in cameras) or both.

Quote by cheapr2keepr

My playing over the last couple of years was sparse after playing in a live band came to an end. I spent a pile of time on old cars and drag racing, and now I want to get my "soul" back.

I'm not even seeing the Mini at MusiciansFriend or Amazon. Must be a dead product. Seems like the Pandora Stomp has taken over. I guess I've been away for a bit.

http://www.musicgoroundwoodbury.com/p/453708/used-korg-pandora-guitar-effect-pedal-px5d?gclid=CjwKEAiA2ve0BRDCgqDtmYXlyjkSJACEPmdwVxZduIDtNM10ILMTPPUfNbXAC2BKBQBgnqQzblyBMhoCG0Lw_wcB

Probably several on eBay. Minis, too.

You need to build a Factory Five '33 Hot Rod.
Currently rocking Boss Micro Br that I got $60 used. Great effects and honestly I get some better sounds with it than my GT-10 processor. Maybe the limited options seem to help me out on that end or...honestly not sure but it sounds good.
The recording on it is a bit quirky, especially if you want to do the more involved stuff, edits, mixing with effects, etc. but it records in simple mode as well in mp3/wav. I've used it to start quite a few songs that I then finish in my DAW. Sometimes the original sounds I got seem to work better than what I can dial in on my amps/VSTs. Built in metronome, tuner, drum machine with preset rhythms. The newer BR's are even more powerful if you want to swing the $. I am quite happy with this one.

IK multimedia seems to have cracked the Android market as well, check with them and see - maybe something will work with your phone.

for what you want to do you might as well get an iPad or iPod Touch, which will let you use Garageband and IK stuff, etc.