Well not super new, had it for a few days. I made another thread about all the drama I had with the first one with bad wiring and a cracked fret board but this one is about a 8.5 out of 10. Finding a white one for my price range was very tricky. The neck feels great, it's super fast , razor straight and being my first neck-through, I am pretty happy.

A few issues though, the nut needs to be replaced but the seller is sending me a new one from Jackson, someone cross-threaded one of the screws and jacked it up pretty good. There are a few places where the binding is cracking at the frets but I can't feel it and I don't notice it unless I am looking for it. The frets had a little corrosion on them but I masked the fret board off and hit it with some steel wool and now they look brand new.

I was really surprised to see that BOTH tips have perfect paint on them!!!

The biggest bummer is that the emg 89 does not work with the push/pull knob to split the coil. I really wanted the utilize the single coil function of the 89 cause I don't want to play metal and hard stuff ALL the time. I could buy an EMG wiring kit for $45, right now I am still debating. For now it works in the humbucking mode just like an emg 81/85 combo.
I took the pickup out just to make sure it was an 89 as some of the KVMG did come with a push/pull knob but were 81/85 combos. As I took it out, I noticed this crack you can see where the fret board meets the body. It appears to only be on the paint and I am hoping it's not a big deal.

To be honest, I wasn't super impressed with the sound but I am hoping it is the crappy stock strings that are really, really light and the factory battery that seems about dead. I will be putting on some elixirs once the replacement nut comes and I decide about rewiring it or not.

I couldn't find one of these for less than $900 shipped anywhere so I think I did pretty good getting this for $525.
Seems like the previous owner did a pretty lousy job of taking care of it...
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I believe this was a factory blemish model that just sat for a long time. Judging by the condition of the paint and wear on the frets, it has very little playing time on it. I believe the cracks are just crazing; small cracks from the finishing layer shrinking faster than the wood underneath. everything else looks like new. I think it just sat for a while and stuff happens during shipping too. Especially from one climate to another that is drastically different.
What year is it? Or does it have a new serial number from the refurbishing facility?
Quote by dthmtl3
What year is it? Or does it have a new serial number from the refurbishing facility?

I will have to check that when I get home. I did notice that the wiring was not the same solder less emg kit that the previous KVMG had. The wiring and solder all looked factory though.
looks nice! good score.

those cracks are from the fretboard shrinking around the frets. the binding cracks while the frets stay put.

what are you doing for a case? ime, jackson boxes are kit or miss regarding fit. last we spoke with jackson/fender they just realized their case for the og rhoads doesn't fit the x series rhoads. said they were going to do something about that since it's their only v case. not sure about the king though.
Last edited by ad_works at Jan 18, 2016,
I doubt this will ever leave my studio so it's probably going to stay on the stand or be in my hand. The only guitar I keep in a case is my Taylor.
cool. i've been wanting to take my rhoads out but didn't have a case until i bought my warrior and it's fucking ginormous aftermarket case with it's meth lab smell. now i can take anything out.

good luck with yours, it seems awesome!.
Last edited by ad_works at Jan 18, 2016,
There's no issue with the KVMG and the case, it fits perfectly, but I've heard they have problems with some Rhoads. Same with the X Series Warrior with the reverse headstock. It barely fits into the case and it ends up making a groove on the inside padding, so the case wasn't really designed for reverse headstocks.
Quote by dthmtl3
There's no issue with the KVMG and the case, it fits perfectly, but I've heard they have problems with some Rhoads. Same with the X Series Warrior with the reverse headstock. It barely fits into the case and it ends up making a groove on the inside padding, so the case wasn't really designed for reverse headstocks.

ok it. figures. that one leg on the rrxmg is actually longer the one of the wings on the king. i've put two together to check. thanks about the reverse wrxmg. it's what i have and was going to buy the correct case.
Quote by ad_works
cool. i've been wanting to take my rhoads out but didn't have a case until i bought my warrior and it's fucking ginormous aftermarket case with it's meth lab smell. now i can take anything out.

good luck with yours, it seems awesome!.

I have my RRMG in an SKB "flying V" case. Fits pretty well. Haven't had any issues.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Spiky-licious!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not sure how Jacksons serials work but this one is partially rubbed off for some reason.
Attachments:
serial.jpg
Made in '14 and it is refurbished. The white is the original Jackson serial. The orange sticker is from the refurbishing center. Near the tip of the headstock it should have "used" engraved as well. Usually they put the orange sticker on top of the original. Here the chose to rub off the old serial instead. Doesn't look like they did any repairs though so perhaps they didn't consider the issues serious enough.
Wow, newer than I thought! The listing did say that is is a "number 2" meaning "no visible repairs". I wish they would have checked the push pull for the 89 but for the price, I can't complain. The only thing else I could find is the very tip of the headstock has paint missing but it was mentioned in the description and is really hard to see. I have another Jackson that has the used stamp on it and it was like new as well.
Just an update, I couldn't wait for the seller to ship a nut as he is taking forever so I pulled the nut off of my KE3. I put on some medium Elixirs and fiddled around a little with the wiring and to my surprise, the EMG 89 push pull is now working! This thing sounds like a beast and I am pretty happy with the warm tones with the split coil.

I set out to find my "go to" guitar with a sound I like and that is comfortable and fast to play. I think it looks killer too so mission accomplished! Thanks for all the help!
Quote by agent
Just an update, I couldn't wait for the seller to ship a nut as he is taking forever so I pulled the nut off of my KE3. I put on some medium Elixirs and fiddled around a little with the wiring and to my surprise, the EMG 89 push pull is now working! This thing sounds like a beast and I am pretty happy with the warm tones with the split coil.

I set out to find my "go to" guitar with a sound I like and that is comfortable and fast to play. I think it looks killer too so mission accomplished! Thanks for all the help!

Glad you're happy dude! When I got my RRMG I became pretty much addicted to the neck so I know how you feel. Glad it all worked out!