I'm gonna name some because i really can't tell the difference between the british and american tone. I've always wanted a vox ac30c2x but that was simply because of its rep and it was the only high end tube amp i looked into. But now that i look into some of the artists i like, some of them seem to use fender amps and not vox. A part of me wants the vox, but im scared its simply because i grew up being told that was the best amp around. I'm scared im not actually gonna like it.i never got to form an actual opinion and im afraid my opinion will be wrong, but then again i still want it simply because i grew as a guitar player thinking that all my favorite artists used that amp. For example i thought jimi hendrix and the strokes used it

jimi hendrix
the beatles
lynyrd skynyrd
cage the elephant
aerosmith
john mayer
the strokes
rolling stones
sublime
the smashing pumpkins
led zeppelin
chuck berry
georgia satellites
the smiths
pink floyd
the doors
red hot chilli peppers
the black keys
arctic monkeys
zz top
tom petty
the fratellis
foo fighters
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Jan 18, 2016,
Where are you located??

My suggestion to you would be to go to the nearest, biggest guitar shop, and try every tube amp you can get your hands on. The only real way to determine what you really like, is to try out some amps, in order to give you something to go off of.

Lots of guitarist will switch up the amp they're using for recording, depending on the song/album. I mean, my British Orange amp can cover most of those bands, as well as my American EVH.

If you're looking for an amp, what's your budget?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
Where are you located??

My suggestion to you would be to go to the nearest, biggest guitar shop, and try every tube amp you can get your hands on. The only real way to determine what you really like, is to try out some amps, in order to give you something to go off of.

Lots of guitarist will switch up the amp they're using for recording, depending on the song/album. I mean, my British Orange amp can cover most of those bands, as well as my American EVH.

If you're looking for an amp, what's your budget?

800$. so i have to go used
I wouldn't get too hung up on British vs American voiced amps. FWIW John Mayer is known mainly for using Dumble amps (which are super rare and extremely valuable) and Two Rock amps (which are basically a copy of the Dumble, but still extremely expensive). Mayer is also known for using a wide range of Fender amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You should be able to get most of those sounds with the vox, but as others have said, look around before you impulse buy. If you have to, listen to youtube demos, but this isn't really a substitute for actually playing one.
Another thing to consider is the Vox ac30c2 (not c2x). While the greenback speakers may not be 'traditional', who gives a crap, as long as you think they sound good, saving you some cash, or even buying a c2 and later upgrading the speakers to actual alnico blues, which are allegedly better than those that come with the c2x.
If you insist on going vox, you should have no problems getting one used in that price range. I got my c2 for 700AUD (though it needed a retube, making it more like 800)
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
Welcome to the never-ending tone search of nearly every guitarist. We find a great amp like the AC30, play it successfully for a while, and then some other sound lures us away to chase something else. After owning a few dozen amps over the years, I can honestly say that most of this endless search is simply our own changing tastes and insecurities. We have one gig in a room that we couldn't find our tone all night and blame the amp. It's often something other than the amp. Most of the old Blackface Fender, Orange, and Marshall amps I sold were perfectly good to make amazing music. I just got caught up in the chase.

Pick out an amp that has YOUR sound in there and learn to use the tool well. Over time your tastes will probably change and like the rest of us, you will move on and discover something else. There are no perfect amps that do everything well but there are a lot of really great ones. The AC30, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Fender Twin, Marshall Plexi, JCM 800, Tweed Bassman, Mesa Mk series, have all been used on tons of gold and platinum recordings and are firmly part of the sountrack of our lives. Choose one that suits your style and go make some great music. The AC30 is certainly one of many excellent choices.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 18, 2016,
Heaps of those bands/people didn't use much Vox at all. Sure, maybe on one or two tracks but it certainly isn't their core sound.. I added what they did use in brackets.

jimi hendrix (Marshall)
lynyrd skynyrd (Fender)
led zeppelin (Marshall live, Supro in the studio)
pink floyd (Hiwatt)
red hot chilli peppers (Marshall)
chuck berry (Fender)
zz top (Marshall)

And there are others in that list as well but I didn't know what they used without having to search for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mike Campbell is known for using a Vox, but last I heard, he actually uses a Fender Princeton live.
Studio wise, he's probably used everything a one point or another.
This may be a little off topic but I think I want to tell you anyways.

I bought a used Peavey VK 100W with a suiting cab a year ago for 600€, changed some tubes and haven't had a problem with it since.

I think you could use it for almost all the bands you listed. I mostly use it for metal, sometimes for rock'n'roll and some lovely clean stuff but you can do so many different things with it.

It has this knob on the back where you can change it from "class A" to "class B" or anything in between. I mostly read lame things about it but I really like it. I can change it's sound - without effect pedals - from Metallica to cheeky rock'n'roll in no time!

Just to clear up for you that there are more low budget amps out there worth looking at
There is also a Peavey VK 50W combo if you're looking for something smaller.
All you can do is try out different amps and find one that suits what you are looking for.
Quote by GuitarNewbee
I'm gonna name some because i really can't tell the difference between the british and american tone. I've always wanted a vox ac30c2x but that was simply because of its rep and it was the only high end tube amp i looked into. But now that i look into some of the artists i like, some of them seem to use fender amps and not vox. A part of me wants the vox, but im scared its simply because i grew up being told that was the best amp around. I'm scared im not actually gonna like it.i never got to form an actual opinion and im afraid my opinion will be wrong, but then again i still want it simply because i grew as a guitar player thinking that all my favorite artists used that amp. For example i thought jimi hendrix and the strokes used it

jimi hendrix
the beatles
lynyrd skynyrd
cage the elephant
aerosmith
john mayer
the strokes
rolling stones
sublime
the smashing pumpkins
led zeppelin
chuck berry
georgia satellites
the smiths
pink floyd
the doors
red hot chilli peppers
the black keys
arctic monkeys
zz top
tom petty
the fratellis
foo fighters
I absolutely love my AC30C2. I put a Celestion Blue in so I can get two different flavors of the British sound, although I mostly use the blue.

But with a list like that, I do not think the VOX sound. I think Marshall, mostly. VOX is known for their lovely cleans and milkshake-thick leads. Marshall has a different kind of emphasis. A lot of those artists did use VOX but are known for using Marshall.

So if you are looking to more accurately have the sounds of most of the artists, I would look into something Marshall. If you still want a VOX but want more of the Marshall tone, get a VOX with Greenback speakers in (AC30C2). Or better yet, get both an AC30 and a Marshall!
Quote by Ougagagoubu
This may be a little off topic but I think I want to tell you anyways.

I bought a used Peavey VK 100W with a suiting cab a year ago for 600€, changed some tubes and haven't had a problem with it since.

I think you could use it for almost all the bands you listed. I mostly use it for metal, sometimes for rock'n'roll and some lovely clean stuff but you can do so many different things with it.

It has this knob on the back where you can change it from "class A" to "class B" or anything in between. I mostly read lame things about it but I really like it. I can change it's sound - without effect pedals - from Metallica to cheeky rock'n'roll in no time!

Just to clear up for you that there are more low budget amps out there worth looking at
There is also a Peavey VK 50W combo if you're looking for something smaller.
I think the VK is pretty decent for what it is. The clean channel is based on a Fender circuit and the Lead is based on a Marshall circuit. But with TS' budget I think a VK is too low. Now if he wanted to save some money until he decides what more-professional amp he wants, that would be a good idea.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 18, 2016,
Get a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic, problem solved
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Cathbard
Heaps of those bands/people didn't use much Vox at all. Sure, maybe on one or two tracks but it certainly isn't their core sound.. I added what they did use in brackets.

jimi hendrix (Marshall) Fender as well
lynyrd skynyrd (Fender) Peavey for many tracks
led zeppelin (Marshall live, Supro in the studio) Page used a bunch of different amps
pink floyd (Hiwatt)
red hot chilli peppers (Marshall)
chuck berry (Fender)
zz top (Marshall)

And there are others in that list as well but I didn't know what they used without having to search for it.

the bands listed in the OP cover a pretty wide range of tones so good luck trying to nail them all. as mentioned already in the studio most bands will use different things. maybe the producer owns a really great sounding amp or the studio etc. it's not uncommon in interviews for guitar players to mention this. The Doors for instance often used fender twins in the studio but used Acoustic amps live.

OP what you need to do is figure out what tones mean the most to you and what ones you can do a ballpark with. you'd be hard pressed to find an affordable amp that will do all of those. also keep in mind that a good overdrive or fuzz pedal can help cover a bunch of things as well.
opposed to a lithuanian voiced amp????

i think american and british is going back in history to the roots of how guitar amps were made during the dawn of rock and role, primarily driven by the US and the UK.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by darkwolf291
There's always German voiced amps
Like Diezels

What do those sound like?
Quote by ikey_
opposed to a lithuanian voiced amp????

i think american and british is going back in history to the roots of how guitar amps were made during the dawn of rock and role, primarily driven by the US and the UK.

Did manufacturers or players start using British/American voiced first? To me, it seems like British/American were used as a way for amp manufacturers to say it sounds like something else without saying exactly what it is. For example, Mesa will never mention Marshall. But they will say the amp or channel has "British crunch." I never put much value into region considering that brands from the same region don't share many similarities. When someone says "American clean," are they talking about a tweed Bassman, blackface Princeton, or a Silverface Twin?
Quote by darkwolf291
This

There's something Magnetic about them that makes me think of Death

This is what you came back for?
Quote by darkwolf291
I never left

So that's the problem.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Did manufacturers or players start using British/American voiced first?

Early tube amps were mostly American and used for both guitar and lap steel, Gibson Valco, Supro, and Fender were around in the late 40s-early 50s and were the signature sound of Les Paul, Bo Didley, Chuck Berry, Dick Dale and others.

Brit amps like Vox, Marshall, and Hiwatt came out with the British guitarists of the late 50s, early 60s. Beatles, Clapton, The Who.

Definitely a different design and a distinctly different voice between these early amps that continues today.