Hey guys. I've been wanting to improve my rig lately but not sure what I should get first right now as my budget is kind of tight. My current setup is a 6505+ 112 with a TS9 thrown in front as a clean boost and that's just about it. I was thinking of either a a noise gate, compressor or an EQ pedal. Or maybe a new speaker. Not sure which would be the most effective right now. I rarely crank the amp up loud so noise isn't a super big deal. Although I did just switch from active to passive pups and I get a buzzing that mostly stops when I touch one of the pots on the guitar but it's not super loud but it's something I have to look into. Anyways I'm not sure what would be the most cost effective upgrade right now. I like how my setup sounds I just want to fine tune it after using it how it is for a couple years now. Just about my only complaint is getting a lot of unwanted harmonics depending on what I'm playing. Maybe a little less fuzzyness too? Well anyways I'd like your guys' suggestions! Thanks!

EDIT: I play metal ranging from old school to modern. Not really a shred type of player to if that matters.
Last edited by xxSovereignxx at Jan 18, 2016,
If the buzzing stops when you touch components like knobs or the bridge, it's a grounding issue. You removed actives and installed passives, I bet there's not much of a ground for the pickups in there. EMGs don't require grounds to the bridge to work right. Passives do.

EQ pedals are always a good idea. They shape your tone much better than the eq on the amp. More bands to play with.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I figured as much that the buzzing is a ground issue. I don't have a bridge ground. I'm using the 3 way switch housing as a ground but it's likely not enough. I didn't notice that my guitar does have the hole for a bridge ground when I was rewiring it so that's why I didn't put it in. Since it doesn't bug me much though atm I'm waiting till the strings get a fair amount of use on them since I will just swap them out when I add the bridge ground since by the looks of it the bridge has to come out to do the job.

So an EQ pedal will probably be most effective? I can dial in good sounds so far but since I don't have an EQ pedal I have no idea how much more it can give me.
I would look for a new speaker first. Peavey makes stupidly shitty speakers. A Celestion V30 or a clone of one is most common.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would look for a new speaker first. Peavey makes stupidly shitty speakers. A Celestion V30 or a clone of one is most common.
+1. Also a tube swap (especially if you still have the stock tubes in) could help out some as well. I would fix the buzz first myself, though.

And since you are playing high-gain, a good noise gate can help out too. TC Electronic Sentry is popular right now.
Quote by Will Lane
+1. Also a tube swap (especially if you still have the stock tubes in) could help out some as well. I would fix the buzz first myself, though.

And since you are playing high-gain, a good noise gate can help out too. TC Electronic Sentry is popular right now.

the buzzing is just grounding on a guitar, its not going to cost anything.

as far as noise gates go, i have had a 6505 head in the past, and it didn't have any noise problems at sensible levels. i recently picked up a 5150 head and still don't have a feedback problem, its not bad even if i turn it up quite a bit.

the harmonics that OP is talking about sounds like microphonic preamp tubes.

i would to check out tubedepot (dot com). buy some JJ 12AX7's, and a one JJ 12AT7 or JJ571 for either V1 or the PI. they are around $10 each IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Will Lane

I like the the TC Sentry and if I go for the noise gate that's the one I'm looking at. As for tube I have no problems with that! I have Svetlana (not Winged C) for power and if I remember correctly I have a Tung-Sol in V1, stock Ruby in V2 and V3, Mesa in V4 and JJ in the PI. I also have quite a few Raytheon and Sylvania tubes (among other old 12AX7 tubes) that I use sometimes but I'd rather not use them up so I don't use them very often.

As for the unwanted harmonics I don't think it's a microphonic tube (they are all dead silent if I tap on them). To be specific it's when I play this one part of a song I like to play that plays on or around the 7th fret and then open and then repeats quickly. So I'm not sure if it's just the nature of playing that in that area of the fretboard or something else.

For a speaker swap I was possibly looking at an Eminence Governor.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

Edit: Also open to ideas for modding the amp since tinkering on those things is fun. I've had to replace the diodes in one of the rectifiers before and will likely add a bias pot sometime soon.
Last edited by xxSovereignxx at Jan 18, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the buzzing is just grounding on a guitar, its not going to cost anything.

as far as noise gates go, i have had a 6505 head in the past, and it didn't have any noise problems at sensible levels. i recently picked up a 5150 head and still don't have a feedback problem, its not bad even if i turn it up quite a bit.

the harmonics that OP is talking about sounds like microphonic preamp tubes.

i would to check out tubedepot (dot com). buy some JJ 12AX7's, and a one JJ 12AT7 or JJ571 for either V1 or the PI. they are around $10 each IIRC.

Yeah same for me even when I do crank the amp as long as I hold the strings or mute the pickup I don't really get that much feedback either. But one thing I'm wondering about noise gates is do they filter noise out when playing or are they just more like an on / off switch?