Hi guys,

My collection of pedals has now reached the size where my current solution (one of these guys: http://media.kieskeurig.nl/images/01/52/25/f7/f892/4f90/a207/fd22c8235855/orig.jpg) lacks the proper amount of sockets! The issue is that I have 0 knowledge about power and mA and all that jazz so I'd like to consult you, my fellow guitarists, for the best possible pedalboard.

These are my pedals (not in the order of my preferred signal chain):

TC Electronics Polytune
Mark Tremonti Wah
Paul Gilbert signature flanger (Ibanez AF2 IIRC)
Ditto looper
Source audio programmable EQ
Markbass Compressore (I use this mainly for bass guitar but would like it on the board any way)
ISP Theta Preamp

Now I don't understand how this works. I've aggregated the mA value of all these pedals except the Theta and ended up with ~1100 mA. Does this mean that a power pedal with 1200 mA in total (spread over, say, 6 200 mA plugs) would work?

Another issue is that I cannot find the mA required for the Theta pedal anywhere. I'm sure I'm missing something. The power adapter that came with it has 200 mA input and 2000 mA output - no clue whether that helps.

What pedalboard and power pedal would you recommend? The only pedal I'd like to add in the future is a delay for guitar leads, but that's a purchase for the distant future.
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
Quote by CodeMonk
Check the link in my sig for a start.

That looks great, thanks!
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
My input would be to run all the pedals except the Theta on a 1-Spot with a 8-plug (presuming they are all 9vdc center negative, I have not checked) and then run the Theta on the adapter it is supposed to come with. Put it all on a power strip are you are ready to go!

With mA you can exceed the rating output by the power supply, but never under. So if a pedal needs 100mA, your PSU can supply 200mA (and it is good to go a little over). But do not power a 100mA pedal with 50mA. Also some pedals have a high mA draw just on start up like the Digitech Hardwire series so do some research.

The voltage rating and AC/DC type current needs to match. 9V DC is the most common for guitar effects pedals. There is some tolerance with most pedals, I think, about the voltage. I think the general is +/- 10%. 9.6V DC is a common adapter output.

The polarity of the barrel plug needs to match. Center negative is the most common. There are some pedals that are center positive and you can get an adapter for that, and I would use it on its own supply. I think if you swap the polarity of one plug (when daisy chained) it can affect the whole chain but I am not sure.

And noise filtering is important too. Household appliance matched supplies (even if it is 9vdc center negative whatever) can leak a lot of noise into your pedals. 1-Spots having better noise reduction. And isolated PSU bricks are the best.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 18, 2016,
I'm pretty sure some of those pedal require a dedicated power supply.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer