there's a video on youtube of some russian guy comparing his axe fx with preamp pedals from AMT designed to sound like a diezel and a rectifier, he runs the pedals into the recording interface and an implse response, where the axe uses it's own impulse responses.
what do you think? sounds pretty similar in my opinion, and at a fraction of the price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3RFooC_mmc
I think the difference is pretty large in person.
the difference in functionality is pretty big too.
that being said if you only need one sound and you want the convenience of a pedal then the amt does the job.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've been a fan of AMT since I found them several years ago. They are great if you need a backup, travel to a rented practice space or play gigs with a backline so you have a consistent tone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 18, 2016,
AMT really shat on me when their pedal couldn't handle a 5lbs falling on top of it in a gig scenario so I wouldn't get anything from them again. I did buy one of their earlier pedals that could be an amp sim and/or distortion (Distortion Factory DT-2) and for the price it had decent amp simulations as well that could be recorded directly.

It was interesting design and very flexible, there are some videos out there of some Russian and other Eastern European guys that they sponsored doing some great stuff with their gear.

Personally, I think with the right cab sim you can get pretty close to some of these uber expensive processors by using even just your pedals, try it sometime with an IR loader on your PC sometime.
I'm using a Pod HD series and a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B.. The latter essentially provides cab IRs with the ability to alter mike placement, and it also provides tube power amp simulations. IMHO, it supplies what the Pod lacks, and the combination really begins to compete with the Axe and Kemper offerings.

I think you'll find that the pedals themselves aren't the tipping point here as much as the IRs are. Wampler, for example, has some *really* good pedals that emulate specific amps. Run into quality IRs and from there into an FRFR speaker/power amp setup (or recording device), they produce some really great quality.
Quote by diabolical
AMT really shat on me when their pedal couldn't handle a 5lbs falling on top of it in a gig scenario so I wouldn't get anything from them again. I did buy one of their earlier pedals that could be an amp sim and/or distortion (Distortion Factory DT-2) and for the price it had decent amp simulations as well that could be recorded directly.

It was interesting design and very flexible, there are some videos out there of some Russian and other Eastern European guys that they sponsored doing some great stuff with their gear.

Personally, I think with the right cab sim you can get pretty close to some of these uber expensive processors by using even just your pedals, try it sometime with an IR loader on your PC sometime.

was it 5lbs of fleshy weight, or something hard? because you do realize that a 5lbs object that is dense and hard will generate op to and over 50lbs of force impact at waist high right?

AMT are made as well as any other pedal using decent parts and QC.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
was it 5lbs of fleshy weight, or something hard? because you do realize that a 5lbs object that is dense and hard will generate op to and over 50lbs of force impact at waist high right?

AMT are made as well as any other pedal using decent parts and QC.

Well, it was a monitor, I checked weight b/c I was curious and it was 5lbs from 3-4 feet away. It fell flat on both on my AMT distortion and my Boss DD-3. It impacted both at the switch and knobs. The AMT enclosure warped down and bent while the Boss pedal was unscathed. The AMT pedal had a solid DPDT switch that was harder steel than the enclosure, so the switch held and the enclosure didn't, it looked like roadkill

Considering that I paid close to $200 for the AMT pedal and $100 for the Boss pedal, I would've expected the AMT to survive this as well. The fact that the enclosure (box) bent on impact broke one of the plastic (yes, plastic???) slider switches and one of the plastic (plastic?) 1/4 jacks.

The US distributor at the time (Godlyke) managed to get me replacement parts so I was able to repair it but one of the modes on that switch doesn'twork and unfortunately it was the best sounding one (the Mesa emulation). I had to wait 3+ months on the parts to arrive from Russia, not to mention the back and forth with the US distributor, who to be fair tried his best to make things right, even offered me a pedal at his cost. Oh...btw, I think I was also still in warranty

Considering the price of their kit I think the quality is ridiculous.
Boss might not sound as good but that pedal just dusted itself off and kept on rocking

For the money AMT wants I'd suggest Sansamp, Carl Martin and Voodoolabs, all much better quality....not that AMT doesn't have a certain mojo, which it does, but I wouldn't take one of theirs on the road again.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 19, 2016,