Hey, all! My band and I have been practicing a lot lately trying to prepare for our first gig. We are going to be doing original songs and one cover per gig. Most of these songs require me to switch from distorted sound to clean sound. For the longest time, I've been doing this manually by changing the preset on my amp in the middle of the song but, obviously, that puts a pause on the guitar track and sounds TERRIBLE when we're playing. Obviously, I need to get myself a pedal.

I've never had a pedal before, nor do I know how they work. So I have three questions:

1.) Will I be able to go from a distorted amp to a clean pedal? Or do I have to use a clean amp and a distorted pedal? Because I really like my Line 6's distortion and would like to keep it.

2.) How do I use the pedal? Do I just plug it into my amp and step on it?

3.) I would prefer a clean pedal if that's possible, but if you have any suggestions for a specific pedal I should get (distorted or clean) please recommend me some. I'm trying to keep the cost between $20-100.

If you are wondering what sound I want to achieve, look up Dammit by Blink 182. The whole song, it goes from a punk rock distortion and then changes to clean guitar at the bridge. I want to be able to do that with pedals.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

p.s. I have a Line 6 Spider II amp
I'd advise against using a pedal for this right now.

Set your amp up for your distortion tone, and roll back volume on your guitar for clean.

Spend your money of a quality tuner pedal instead.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
A few things:

You do not need a normal stompbox. I think that is what you are thinking of. They generally go right after your guitar and then to the amp. Your Spider amp does not take pedals like that well.

What you need is the proper footcontroller for your amp. If you look at the front panel of your amp, you should see a port that looks kind of like a computer network/ethernet cable. The footcontroller plugs into there and you can switch the channels on your amp, going from clean to dirty in an instant.

With a normal stompbox, you cannot really make a distorted amp cleaner. Generally pedals are run in front of amps to push the amp into more distortion, but not distorted into cleaner.

This is what you need, the FBV2: http://line6.com/footcontrollers/
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'd advise against using a pedal for this right now.

Set your amp up for your distortion tone, and roll back volume on your guitar for clean.

Spend your money of a quality tuner pedal instead.
Spiders do not really clean up well... and why a tuner? The amp has built-in tuning.

Eventually xMCR.for.Lifex, investing in a new amp will be good for you and your band. The Spider amps do not have much a good reputation outside of bedroom playing. For punk something Orange or Marshall would be good. Get a tube amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 18, 2016,
Thank you, Will Lane. That definitely helps. And eventually I will be getting a better amp, but for now this is all I've got.
Quote by Will Lane
A few things:

You do not need a normal stompbox. I think that is what you are thinking of. They generally go right after your guitar and then to the amp. Your Spider amp does not take pedals like that well.

What you need is the proper footcontroller for your amp. If you look at the front panel of your amp, you should see a port that looks kind of like a computer network/ethernet cable. The footcontroller plugs into there and you can switch the channels on your amp, going from clean to dirty in an instant.

With a normal stompbox, you cannot really make a distorted amp cleaner. Generally pedals are run in front of amps to push the amp into more distortion, but not distorted into cleaner.

This is what you need, the FBV2: http://line6.com/footcontrollers/Spiders do not really clean up well... and why a tuner? The amp has built-in tuning.

Eventually xMCR.for.Lifex, investing in a new amp will be good for you and your band. The Spider amps do not have much a good reputation outside of bedroom playing. For punk something Orange or Marshall would be good. Get a tube amp.

So you can tune up without turning your back on the audience.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So you can tune up without turning your back on the audience.
I would prioritize the footpedal and a new amp over an outboard tuner but that is me. If TS has to tune he is already muted, so turning the back to the audience is not that big of a deal I do not think.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 18, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I would prioritize the footpedal and a new amp over an outboard tuner but that is me.

Why buy the footswitch for the amp you're telling him to replace? That's throwing money away.

At this stage, with a single pedal budget, a decent pedal tuner can be bought, and will last pretty much forever.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Why buy the footswitch for the amp you're telling him to replace? That's throwing money away.

At this stage, with a single pedal budget, a decent pedal tuner can be bought, and will last pretty much forever.
Because a new amp is apparently not in TS' immediate future.

And the tuner does nothing to help his current predicament.
Quote by Will Lane
Because a new amp is apparently not in TS' immediate future.

And the tuner does nothing to help his current predicament.

If he's gigging, borrowing an amp is a possibility. At least half the gigs I've played, the venue had a backline available, and the other half, the bands were able to arrange to share amps/cabs.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Just throwing it out there, if he gets the floor controller for the Line 6, it should have the tuner display on it. Mine did, but I had a Spider IV when i had one.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If he's gigging, borrowing an amp is a possibility. At least half the gigs I've played, the venue had a backline available, and the other half, the bands were able to arrange to share amps/cabs.

Borrowing an amp is not practical advice. It is always better to be self sufficient than relying on other people for gear. I don't know how gigs are done in your area, but I very rarely see a back line for everyone to use. As far as the tuner, it isn't necessary at this point. First off, it isn't what the TS asked, and right now he has a tuner. So what if he has to turn his back between songs. Should I sell my backup guitar because I have to turn my back to the audience to switch guitars? His issue is that he needs to switch between dirty and clean, but doesn't want to lose the tone he has dialed in. The $35 footswitch is the best advice for his current problem. The tuner he can deal with later when he buys an amp that doesn't have one, but until then, it is not practical to buy a tuner to solve a problem that he doesn't have.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
Borrowing an amp is not practical advice. It is always better to be self sufficient than relying on other people for gear. I don't know how gigs are done in your area, but I very rarely see a back line for everyone to use. As far as the tuner, it isn't necessary at this point. First off, it isn't what the TS asked, and right now he has a tuner. So what if he has to turn his back between songs. Should I sell my backup guitar because I have to turn my back to the audience to switch guitars? His issue is that he needs to switch between dirty and clean, but doesn't want to lose the tone he has dialed in. The $35 footswitch is the best advice for his current problem. The tuner he can deal with later when he buys an amp that doesn't have one, but until then, it is not practical to buy a tuner to solve a problem that he doesn't have.

If you read my post, then you do know.

Some venues do have a backline. They're never stellar, but they are functional. And most promoters(except the assholes you only ever do one gig for) will send group emails to all the bands on a bill, who are generally adult enough to come to an arrangement so that the venue isn't half full of gear.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Sharing gear is one thing, but in almost a decade of playing out in different venues and cities, I never saw a single backline at a club for you to use.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by slapsymcdougal
If you read my post, then you do know.

Some venues do have a backline. They're never stellar, but they are functional. And most promoters(except the assholes you only ever do one gig for) will send group emails to all the bands on a bill, who are generally adult enough to come to an arrangement so that the venue isn't half full of gear.

The only backline gigs I've ever played were benefit shows where we brought our own heads, and played through their cabinets, so I still had to bring my own amp, which is fine because I prefer my sound over having to dial in an amp I'm not familiar with. Other than that, we played with DRI a few times where Spike played through my amp because they were flying in, and didn't have equipment, so basically we provided the backline. As far as borrowing gear for every show, that is a good way to have other bands avoid playing gigs with you. After a while it gets old. I let a "friend" borrow my head, and the upholstery on top melted because they were burning incense on it, so when it comes to letting people borrow gear, I am weary of it.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
The only backline gigs I've ever played were benefit shows where we brought our own heads, and played through their cabinets, so I still had to bring my own amp, which is fine because I prefer my sound over having to dial in an amp I'm not familiar with. Other than that, we played with DRI a few times where Spike played through my amp because they were flying in, and didn't have equipment, so basically we provided the backline. As far as borrowing gear for every show, that is a good way to have other bands avoid playing gigs with you. After a while it gets old. I let a "friend" borrow my head, and the upholstery on top melted because they were burning incense on it, so when it comes to letting people borrow gear, I am weary of it.

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, you'd think the world wasn't the same all over or something.

Seriously, you let someone use your amp at a gig, and unless you're a twat, YOU'RE IN THE SAME DAMNED ROOM. It's not that hard to set ground rules("no fire near my stuff" for example), or to abide by them.

Unless you're a twat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, you'd think the world wasn't the same all over or something.

Seriously, you let someone use your amp at a gig, and unless you're a twat, YOU'RE IN THE SAME DAMNED ROOM. It's not that hard to set ground rules("no fire near my stuff" for example), or to abide by them.

Unless you're a twat.

If I thought that I had to tell them no fire near my amp, I wouldn't have let him borrow it in the first place. It kind of goes without saying. He was borrowing my Ampeg VH140C, which he had one, but was running both in stereo. He asked to borrow mine because the other one he ordered hadn't arrived yet. I thought I was just helping a friend of 10 years, but apparently it turns out that I was a twat. So since there were two Ampegs up there, I didn't know which one was mine from the side of the stage. Of course I figured it out later, and was pretty pissed off. Even though I'm not considering reselling it, the upholstery damage has lowered the resale value if I ever wanted to. This was a friend, so that's why I'm weary of letting people borrow my shit if I don't know them very well. I have spent the last 20 years building up my rig, so I get it if someone needs a helping hand, but if they make it their policy to just borrow everyone else's stuff, that's bullshit. They can finance, or sell stuff, or whatever it takes to get their shit right just like I did. Especially now where it is much easier to do.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
If I thought that I had to tell them no fire near my amp, I wouldn't have let him borrow it in the first place. It kind of goes without saying. He was borrowing my Ampeg VH140C, which he had one, but was running both in stereo. He asked to borrow mine because the other one he ordered hadn't arrived yet. I thought I was just helping a friend of 10 years, but apparently it turns out that I was a twat. So since there were two Ampegs up there, I didn't know which one was mine from the side of the stage. Of course I figured it out later, and was pretty pissed off. Even though I'm not considering reselling it, the upholstery damage has lowered the resale value if I ever wanted to. This was a friend, so that's why I'm weary of letting people borrow my shit if I don't know them very well. I have spent the last 20 years building up my rig, so I get it if someone needs a helping hand, but if they make it their policy to just borrow everyone else's stuff, that's bullshit. They can finance, or sell stuff, or whatever it takes to get their shit right just like I did. Especially now where it is much easier to do.

So basically something you have no intention of selling - and which thus has no actual value - suffered cosmetic damage, so everyone else can eat a bag of dicks?

Seems like you are a twat. Just a different sort of twat to your 'friend'.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So basically something you have no intention of selling - and which thus has no actual value - suffered cosmetic damage, so everyone else can eat a bag of dicks?

We got the point dude, you're pissed off that no one thought your bad advice was very good, and now you're acting like a child. Move on.

Unfortunately I gotta agree with everone here and say the TS's best option right now is the footswitch for his amp. If you buy one used it will hold it's value. Those line 6 footswitches are universal and pretty much always in demand, so you'll have no problem selling it when you upgrade amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by slapsymcdougal

You paint with a really wide brush with such a small amount of paint. Tell me, at what point did I ever say that I don't let people use my gear? I'll help you out. Not once. I said that I am weary of it. When I do let people borrow my gear, guess what? They also have a guitar tech for the night because I take a more active role in allowing someone to use my stuff, that I have busted my ass for. Just because I don't plan on selling something today, doesn't mean I may not want to sell it ever. Besides, I treat my gear with care, and I expect other people to treat my gear in a similar manner. If I don't think they will do that, then they are not going to go near it. If I see someone mistreating their own gear, they aren't going anywhere near mine. If that makes me a twat, then so be it, but I don't think I was a twat to my friend, he was a twat to me. Lesson learned. Now I am more precautious.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Personally I'd much rather use my amp that I've been practicing on than an unfamiliar back line one. I'm sure the TS would agree as he said he said he want's his amps distorted tone at the moment.

I agree with the others. A switch pedal is the quickest/easiest fix for the moment. Hopefully, once you've done a few gigs, you will have made enough cash for a different amp..............................and even a tuner pedal if you want one