Hi yall- I have never utilized adat in any way, and have just started reading and trying to understand it today. What I am seeming to get out of it is that I can buy another interface with up to 8 channels and an ADAT out, which will send a digital signal through the optical cable to my rme Babyface adat in, and then my Babyface USB to my computer will now be carrying 10 channels total (my two analogs from the Babyface plus 8 additional channels from the new interface). And I guess the advantage of doing it this way is that I get to take advantage of RMEs drivers for both interfaces; however, those additional 8 channels will suffer if the secondary interface has poor pres&convertets. Is this correct?

I would love to take advantage of this feature; but im almost wondering if I should have bought an interface with more analog preamps to start with, instead of linking them lol. The only affordable interface I see that will help me accomplish this is the Behringer ada8000- have any of you guys used it / is it terrible? I am trying to spend less than $200 here to expand my Analog inputs, though I do realize you get what you pay for when it comes to these things.

My main applications would be for micing drums and for chill jam sessions with friends that I want to record and mix later- i use my Babyface when I want to get a great quality high fidelity vocal / micd instrument or DI recording for a mix; I would never use the secondary interface for a 1 or 2 mic job.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Hello, Watterboy!

As you probably know, your audio setup will be as weak as its weakest part.
But for the price - Behringer will be definitely the best choice for you. ADA8000 is one of the most reliable and underrated piece of gear. I use it in my home studio for over 7 years now and I'm really happy with it. You can also think about new ADA8200 which is equipped with high quality MIDAS preamps. Do not be afraid to name "Behringer" - for $200 there is nothing better.

If you have any questions I will answer them with pleasure,
Cheers!
Mikolaj
Quote by Watterboy
those additional 8 channels will suffer if the secondary interface has poor pres&convertets. Is this correct?
The sound of the other interface is still the same, so if it sounds good the sound is good and if it sounds poor the sound is poor.
So yeah a better sounding interface will sound better.

Also 8ch of input or output over one ADAT lightpipe cable are only available at up to 48kHz, if you want to go up to 96kHz you'll get up to 4ch of input or output per cable.
Quote by Watterboy
im almost wondering if I should have bought an interface with more analog preamps to start with, instead of linking them lol.
It's not a limitation really, the only concern you may have is latency but if both the interfaces are good you don't have anything to fear.
Quote by Watterboy
have any of you guys used it / is it terrible?
It sounds surprisingly good.
If that's the kind of stuff you want to get, the best bet on the cheap is either that or the ADA8200.
Quote by Watterboy
I would never use the secondary interface for a 1 or 2 mic job.
You may as well do that if you find the ADA or whatever you end up getting sounds better than the babyface actually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by diabolical
The Behringeris actually surprisingly decent.
You can also score Presonus or Focusrite adat preamps which are going cheap second hand.
24/48 is good enough, you should be OK with this.

I actually found a Presonus Digimax fs-8 for $185 shipped in excellent condition from another recording artist. I jumped on it! Idk if its better than the Behringer or not, but it has good reviews and the extra 8 channels would be VERY valuable to me. Ill be happy to post a review of it here for you guys once it comes in and try doing some multi source recordings. Thanks for the feedback!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69