Hello everyone,

Today I received the beautiful ESP LTD EC-256 BLK. And as a former Ibanez GIO owner, I feel like I now own a 2,000$ Les Paul!

As expected, the guitar looks great in person. It feels like a quality instrument and it is beautifully made.

Of course, like every amateur with a limited budget, every penny that I have spent counts. So I inspected every single inch of the guitar and I came across this crack in the paint where the neck meets the body:

I am no guitar building expert, so I don't know if this is a big deal. I checked the intonation with two different devices and everything was perfect. The guitar plays fine and there is nothing wrong with it. So should I go ahead and return it?

Another question that might be obvious to some of you: is the neck glued to the body or bolted? (or both?)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:sorry for screwing up the pics the first time!
Attachments:
20160118_211101.jpg
20160118_211118.jpg
20160118_211123.jpg
20160118_211450.jpg
20160118_211711_HDR.jpg
Last edited by Darmanos at Jan 18, 2016,
It's a glued neck. Usually known as "set neck".

Does the crack extend into the wood? If it does, it might be a problem. If it doesn't, it's porbably purely cosmetic and easily fixed, so it's up to you if you want to keep it. To be honest, it looks like a really tiny crack so I don't think it'll cause problems, so if you're okay with having a bit of cosmetic damage you could keep it.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Hi Kevätuhri,

Thank you for your answer!

It looks to me that the crack is just on the paint. And as you said, if it is just aesthetic, I don't care too much. I was just worried this might have been caused by bad gluing of the neck to the body.

I think I am going to keep it. Let's hope nothing goes wrong!
where did you get it from? MF/M123/zzounds/etc would probably throw you a few bucks back if you talk to them and send a pic. if its second hand, probably not as good of a chance.

i would send it back or ask for a discount.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
where did you get it from? MF/M123/zzounds/etc would probably throw you a few bucks back if you talk to them and send a pic. if its second hand, probably not as good of a chance.

i would send it back or ask for a discount.

This. I'd talk to them (if you bought it new), and see if they'll throw you some cash back, if not return it and get an undamaged one.

Looks to be just a cosmetic issue, but if I bought a new guitar that came with a scratch, I'd ask for another, or compensation. I'll bet they'll offer you cash, since if you return it, they're probably just going to sell it to someone else as blemished at a discounted price.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
@trashedlostfdup @red.guitar I just did that

I actually bought it from Thomann since I am located in Austria.

Let's see the outcome!

Thanks guys.
I bought an Epiphone dot from them a couple of years ago and one of the pickups was dented. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement quickly (to the UK).

Have you seen the YouTube video of when Anderton's music shop visited Thomann? Worth a look - very interesting!

Personally, I would wish to return the guitar for a replacement.
Last edited by monabri at Jan 19, 2016,
I don't understand why people ask these sort of questions

If you bought it brand new and it's not perfect then take it back. That's the beauty of buying new.
@monarbi thank you for the info. And thank you for the video recommendation, I always enjoy watching these guys!

@SpiderM as anyone who is excited about his new instrument. I'd rather not have to wait again for a replacement. Especially because the black model looks out of stock on the website, so it might take weeks to get a new one. So yes, a compensation would be fine for me since the 'damage' doesn't look so severe.

Thank you guys for your help.
Quote by Darmanos
@SpiderM as anyone who is excited about his new instrument. I'd rather not have to wait again for a replacement. Especially because the black model looks out of stock on the website, so it might take weeks to get a new one. So yes, a compensation would be fine for me since the 'damage' doesn't look so severe.

No worries, you never mentioned compensation in your original question and, if you are prepared to have a guitar with a small fault and save some $$$ then that's a personal thing. Just be sure that it's not worse than you think.

Patience is a virtue apparently