hey guys, i've been thinking about buying a new guitar, but i'm on a tight budget, so i was thinking about getting a jay turser les paul and swapping the pickups with seymour duncan alnico pro 2 slash signature pickups....do you think that's a good idea?!! any advice would mean alot!
In general, I like the idea of cheap guitars* with good pickups, but you should understand what is wrong with the originals before upgrading, in the context of your amp and your genre(s). Sometimes simple things like changing the pots and caps or removing the metal covers can work wonders, and an amp with a wide tonal range can be more forgiving than one with a narrower range.

*Five of my six electrics are cheapos that have been modded, and of those, four were bought used. The downside is losses on resale.
Quote by ismail141442
hey guys, i've been thinking about buying a new guitar, but i'm on a tight budget, so i was thinking about getting a jay turser les paul and swapping the pickups with seymour duncan alnico pro 2 slash signature pickups....do you think that's a good idea?!! any advice would mean alot!

agree with tony. why the Slash pickups? if you are shooting for slash tone then the pickups probably aren't the most important thing. not sure how close a Jay Turser LP copy is spec wise. i'd look at Agile or Vintage if you are on a budget but still want at least a decent LP copy (and epiphone as well).
As a full time lumberjack, I believe that you should be aware of the types of tree's in your area before you purchase an axe. Different edges are created for different purposes, and believe it or not, it will make a big difference what kind of axe you choose when it comes to even Maple or an Oak tree. PM me if you want more info
Quote by DChalo123
As a full time lumberjack, I believe that you should be aware of the types of tree's in your area before you purchase an axe. Different edges are created for different purposes, and believe it or not, it will make a big difference what kind of axe you choose when it comes to even Maple or an Oak tree. PM me if you want more info

sounds like you are a full time ******. take this crap to the Pit where it belongs
Quote by monwobobbo
sounds like you are a full time ******. take this crap to the Pit where it belongs

Aw, I thought it was cute.
Quote by ismail141442

I'm with Tony on this one -- buy the guitar if you really like it, but don't make immediate plans to rip out the pickups and put something else in before you have it in hand and give it some time.

Even if you KNOW that you don't like the pickups that come with the guitar. SDs are NOT always, nor even frequently, an improvement over stock, no matter whose endorsement they carry.

Out of 50+ guitars lying around here, I've swapped pickups on only a few of them. In one case I added P-Rails, in another I subbed in a pair of SD Hot Rails for the "Duncan-Designed" cheapo hot rail copies, and in two other guitars DiMarzios proved to be a better choice. In fact, I've yanked a set of SD Invaders and replaced them with Tom Anderson pickups on my V.
The guy is just spamming, look at the other crap he is posting in this forum.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You can get more guitar for your money if you buy used.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

It will greatly depend on your budget as to which amp is recommended.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Jan 29, 2016,
Agile's are really cheap but very good quality. Also I just bought an Airline Tuxedo and man this is one hell of a guitar. You can find a used one for fairly cheap. Sorry for not really answering your question but hope this helped.