https://soundcloud.com/josh-pierpont/godlike

This is a rewrite of a song I wrote for an old band. The only things left to tackle are vocals and lead.

Recorded in Cubase 5.

Plugins used: drums are Addictive Drums 2, bass is Ample Bass J II, and piano is Native Instruments Giant. Ambient sounds done with a mix of FL Studio stock plugins and Guitar Rig 5.

Post processing in IK Multimedia's T-Racks CS.

I'm still learning to EQ and Mix and all that, so I know I still need some work, but I'm pretty proud of it so far.

I completely welcome being told if something sounds off or bad. It's the best way to learn
SHOOOOOPS
...is my MUSIC as good as muh shoops?

Quote by sglover34479
You know life isn't fair when people like HB are stuck posting on a guitar forum instead of rolling in bitches and cash.
Hi. The guitar parts don't sound bad at all from a compositional standpoint. I like the riffs, really nice vibe. I do feel it feels a bit empty, it would definitely improve with vocals and maybe some more prominent synth parts. However, parts like the one at 2:23 are really cool and add sweet dynamics. I can see that it's WIP, but overall I liked the song.

There are some proper problems with the production though. I think the guitars have too much low end and too much gain, and I can't really hear the bass properly because of that. From the standalone part I know that the bass sounds good so I'd like to hear it more in the song. I also think you could pan the guitars a bit more apart, since it almost sounded like they were in the center. I'd say you can turn up the synth parts a lot as well, now they're drowned by the guitars.

So, from a songwriting standpoint I like it, but I'd like to see some more action, like vocals, more guitar leads or stronger synth sounds. Production wise, I'd say that you should reduce the gain and bass on guitars and pan them well to the left and the right, and turn up the bass and the synth sounds.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I can't thank you enough for your reply Kevätuhri! Some really great advice that I will definitely be putting to use. And I know what you mean about the empty feeling. I'm still toying with vocal melody ideas and such and I need to find the right vocalist for the job. I've got some lead ideas, but I have a one year old daughter, so time is fleeting, but I'll probably repost this when I get those things (along with your advice) all taken care of. Thanks again man, seriously!
SHOOOOOPS
...is my MUSIC as good as muh shoops?

Quote by sglover34479
You know life isn't fair when people like HB are stuck posting on a guitar forum instead of rolling in bitches and cash.