I'm in need (read: want) of a head under $700. I mostly play Alt and Hard Rock, but I would like enough gain to reach '80s Thrash Metal level. I thoroughly enjoy sparkling cleans, but it's not a must. Used is okay, but I'd prefer new. This is for home use, but I'd like the option of being heard over a drummer with clean headroom.

I live in Memphis. Our GC is surprisingly underwhelming these days as far as amp stock goes. There's a used Bogner Alchemist 112 at a local shop for $500. I've heard good things, and it seems like a steal; however, I would really prefer a head. There's also a couple of consignment stores near me that I need to check out soon.

Gear:
-Fender MIM Tele
-Agile AL-3000 LP copy with Alnico V pups
-Epiphone Valve Jr. head and cab
-Maxon OD-9

I plan on using the VJ cab with my new head until I can order a custom 2x12 from Avatar Speakers. It's 16 ohms and 70W RMS.

Edit- An FX loop is a must.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Last edited by Haha, Crackhead at Jan 18, 2016,
Which one should I be looking at? I remember wanting an F-50 for a long time back in the day, but never actually got one.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Which one should I be looking at? I remember wanting an F-50 for a long time back in the day, but never actually got one.

F-50, 50 Cal, Son of Boogie, or even a Mk series can sometimes be found in your budget. They all have slightly different features but all are tour quality, built like tanks, and have pretty excellent clean and hi gain circuits.

Maybe do a little horse tradin'
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/5401953475.html
https://reverb.com/item/1370128-mesa-boogie-mark-iii-combo-late-80-s-black

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mesa-boogie-mark-III-/201505327022?hash=item2eeaa747ae:g:~~cAAOSwt6ZWWLx2

https://reverb.com/item/522389-mesa-boogie-mark-iib-1981-black

https://reverb.com/item/1523316-mesa-boogie-rectoverb-50-tube-combo-built-around-june-2000

Pretty much all of those are a bit over your price point but...they'd all do the job phenomenally.

Also, I looked on CL briefly and memphis is really dead as far as high-end guitar gear.

If you really want to go down the route of American High-Gain Metal, I'd highly recommend Mesa Boogie (The better/equivalent options tend to get even more expensive). Keep checking around and I'm sure something will fall into your price range.
These all look great. I'm gonna do a little research into the different amps and see which one best suits me. And, yeah, I've never seen any good gear on Memphis Craigslist that actually piqued my interests.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Keep in mind that most Mesa models take a while to figure out/dial in. I pretty much count on hating every Mesa for the first half an hour, and after that I figure out if I actually like it. Spend a lot of time with the EQ and don't be afraid to adjust to settings that seem weird, or tweak the knob by a thousandth of an inch. On a lot of amps that won't help, on a Mesa it often will.

Those are all great options, though.
This post is specific to your craigslist only.

I'm sure you saw these already but there is a Mesa Single Rec Rectoverb and cab. Unfortunately, it is a combo. However, it is overpriced and I'm sure you could get the combo down to around $700. I paid $490 for my Rectoverb head at Guitar Center.

Also there is a Stiletto had and cab - again, you'd have to talk down.

Then there is that Rebel 30 but it is a combo and overpriced as well.

But you're right. Not much else after that, which is a bit surprising. If you are not in a hurry then hold out and see what else breaks. There is a also a link in my sig to search All of Craigslist. I would probably pass on the Alchemist. It is a decent amp for sure and the built in delay and reverb work very nicely. Unfortunately, those combos suffer a bit and they are pretty dark sounding. Also look for an Egnater Renegade. I really dig these amp - but they won't be as high a quality as the Mesas.
Quote by Roc8995
Keep in mind that most Mesa models take a while to figure out/dial in. I pretty much count on hating every Mesa for the first half an hour, and after that I figure out if I actually like it. Spend a lot of time with the EQ and don't be afraid to adjust to settings that seem weird, or tweak the knob by a thousandth of an inch. On a lot of amps that won't help, on a Mesa it often will.

Those are all great options, though.

Agreed. Mesa's are also the only amps where I found reading the manual was actually useful in setting up a decent tone. The EQ on Mesa is pretty unique and understanding how each setting interacts can really help.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not