i dont know the proper term, but like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/portable-field-recorders/tascam-dr-22wl-handheld-linear-pcm-recorder

there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews about different brands, etc.

i have a couple of potential applications to use one and i want to know if they would even work for that .
-recording voice in a group discussion
-using as an audio source for youtube videos (talking, not for mic'ing amps). i would like that to easily pair with video.
-something good enough to record audio with that is decent enough to send to another musician for collaborations.

i would like to spend around $120 or so.

another question: is this something sensible to buy used? or would i be better off buying new?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The mics on that are similar to those in my Tascam GT-R1, and they're pretty decent. A friend of mine uses a device much like that to record choir practice. The audio is good enough for her to catch all the nuance she needs to work with the song, and she's one of the more talented & skilled ones in the choir- she's an occasional soloist.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The mics on that are similar to those in my Tascam GT-R1, and they're pretty decent. A friend of mine uses a device much like that to record choir practice. The audio is good enough for her to catch all the nuance she needs to work with the song, and she's one of the more talented & skilled ones in the choir- she's an occasional soloist.

Cool, thanks.

i found this one for $30 more and it seems quite a bit better.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/portable-field-recorders/tascam-dr-40-portable-digital-recorder?pfm=sp

what is your opinion on tascam in general?

also would i be able to put it into reaper somehow?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Tascams and Zooms are the portable recorders I see most often. I think they're pretty well made & reliable.

Don't know about reaper, but Tascam or Sweetwater could tell you.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tascams and Zooms are the portable recorders I see most often. I think they're pretty well made & reliable.

Don't know about reaper, but Tascam or Sweetwater could tell you.

thanks.

i will send tascam a shout. or maybe look on the reaper forum (i think there is one).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Zoom Q2HD's have quite good mikes. That's what I use. They're pretty cheap these days.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Zoom Q2HD's have quite good mikes. That's what I use. They're pretty cheap these days.

are you referring to the ones with video? that would be kind of cool.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah. I just bought a new one on ebay for $100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Boss Micro Br or Micro Br-80 are great value used. I have the Micro Br - decent condenser mic built in, records to multitrack (4 channels, 1 channel or stereo at a time), or records to mp3 or wav stereo.
Built in guitar processor and drum tracks, metronome, tempo slow down. The guitar processor is good enough that it has carried me through on some jam sessions, just have to remember to set it to never shut down as it has a power save mode.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 19, 2016,
Both the Zoom and Tascam handhelds are pretty brilliant tools that sound great. Decide if you need stereo, video, multitrack, or wifi integration and pick the one that best meets your needs.

I have also used Tascam mics with iPhone interface for a multitrack sketchpad.
Just a plug - I have a Tascam DP-004 on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DP-004-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder-Special-Blue-Finish-Edition-/272108006496?hash=item3f5ae6ac60:g:kxQAAOSwuYVWm9pi

TBH, I acquired this and haven't ever used it, but I know you can record 2 tracks simultaneously. You can assign a combination of the 2 built in mics (or both together in stereo) or the 2 inputs (1/4" jacks) to either recording track, so you can use multiple (well, 2) mics when recording a group.

Just a thought on the YouTube thing - unless you get a mic that connects direct to your video camera, you'll need to import and sync the audio file to the video afterwards in your video editing software.