i have been posting a lot tonight, i hate insomnia.

the other day i posted about getting a USA strat and throwing in 'buckers and block the trem, or get a charvel socal.

well. i wasn't thinking well. i forgot i had another MIM strat.

21 frets isn't really a big deal. i can bend up three semitones if i have to. so i thought i would clear that up.

i want to have the classic 80's shredder type thing going on as far as tone goes. i will probably get a better trem block too.

its a FSR black on maple.

i was thinking super distortion for the bridge? i have loved them but i don't know how they would do in a strat.

as far as the duncan side i am curious what you would recommend. i am a fan of the '59 in the neck position, but i haven't tried it on a strat. i prefer the '59 to the jazz. i am not a JB fan, but again i haven't tried one in a strat. what are your thoughts on the duncan distortion? i have never played one.

i want to keep this near or under $150. if its more i may as well just sell it and pick up a jackson dk2 or somthing... lol. i am a pathetic guitar junkie.

i must confess that if it is weird here i am wasted. and without sleep.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, the Godin Velocity was designed to be a shredder's guitar, and it sports a SH-5 Seymour Duncan Custom humbucker in the bridge. However, the '59 is my favorite SD HB, so I'd probably go with that. I have one in a Fernandes Ravelle and my newly acquired Godin Richmond Belmont.

Tesla's VR-Extreme has a classic 80's metal voice. It splits nicely, too.

Higher up the price ladder, with a bit of an 80s shred pedigree is the Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, custom designed for and used by Steve Stevens. If you don't get the fancy engraved cover, it should price out under $150.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 19, 2016,
Did they have the super distortion back in the 80's?
If so, I think thats what I had in my LP back then.
I don't see why they wouldn't do well in a strat.
You might want to contact Carvin about the Kiesel passive pickups. They are definitely capable of scratching your 80s itch. And they're @$90 each.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/KL12N
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/HP12B

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/kiesel_passive_pickups
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 19, 2016,
I had a Duncan TB11 (Custom Custom) in my MIM strat to start. Great pickup. I liked it so much I moved it to my Schecter C1+ after I got that. When that happened I also put a '59 in the neck of that guitar at the same time. I love that combination.

So then, I put a Super Distortion in the MIM Strat and although I don't play that as much - it seemed like a good choice after doing a fair amount of research. No complaints.
All of these are great for the '80s shredder Rock/Metal tones and work great in Fender Strat's

SD - TB6 Distortion (trembucker)
SD - TB4 JB (trembucker)
SD - TB12 Screamin' Demon (trembucker)
DM - Super Distortion (F-spaced)
GFS - VEH (Bridge is F-spaced by default)

If you're mounting the bridge pup slanted, then get a standard spaced pup.
I'd look at the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup.

I've actually been experimenting with a single-coil size humbucker (the DiMarzio Fast Track II) in the neck position. It's *designed* to be a superstrat bridge pickup and it's got a LOT of output (more than most bridge pickups), but I'm really loving it in the neck. It does a great job on the bottom end without muddying things.
Quote by CodeMonk
Did they have the super distortion back in the 80's?

hell yeah they did.
A vote for the Custom Custom, which is awesome in a Strat's bridge position. A JB will get you a traditional 80s hard rock sound. For the neck, the 59 has big bass and smaller mids- I might go with an Alnico II Pro over the 59 and the bright, open sounding Jazz.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
'59 sounds good in the neck of a strat (or at least a superstrat)

duncan distortion is pretty trebly/edgy/fizzy and quite scooped. i think george lynch used one in dokken so that should give you some idea of what it sounds like.

you can also go lower output depending on the exact type of 80s tone you're after- e.g. for EVH and the like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what year MIM? reason i ask is that the older ones have smaller frets which aren't the best for 80s shreddy styles. DiMarzio Super Distortions are a very 80s pickups so thjat could be a good choice (my early 80s Mockingbird had them and it screamed). not sure if they still make PAF+ pups but those would be good to. thinking a littel out of teh box if you could find a (obviously used) Gibson Dirty Fingers pup those were great back in the day as well.
311 - thanks. i will look into the custom custom a bit.

dspellman - did you even look at my budget? come on. i will look into the fast track though, that would be workable.

monwobobbo - its an early 2000's i think i don't have it at this house. it does have notably larger frets than my 1996, and a larger trem block too. but i will block it.

i am not a huge fan of the JB.

'59 is being considered as well as the alnico II pro.

what from the dimarzio side of the table would you recommend to pair with the super distortion for the neck position.

thanks so far.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The custom custom was one of my favored choices before I decided to go in a different direction. It sounds awesome to me.
I'm gonna have to throw the Tone Zone into the fight. Love that pickup, and it sounds sick in a Strat. I honestly preferred the SC-sized Tone Zone to the normal humbucker sized one, the closer spacing made it tighter but it still had that fat low-end that makes shred sound so good.

That and a 59 in the neck would be bitchin'
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Liquifire or Air Norton should work with the Super Distortion. PAF 36th if you want a bit less output.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden uses a DM Super Distortion in the bridge of his strat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden uses a DM Super Distortion in the bridge of his strat.

Good call. I have always loved the Maiden tone.

cath - any recs on the neck pickup to pair with the Super distortion?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Probably the Jazz or maybe the '59. I'd try a Jazz, myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification