I was checking some LPs on internet as it is probably the next guitar I will buy. Not now, perhaps in some months or some year because I bought my last one something like 3 months ago.
I just stumbled upon this beautiful Gibson Les Paul Classic Rock:

The price is 1.129,70 € (https://www.musicstore.de/es_ES/EUR/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Rock-Turquoise/art-GIT0037175-000).

Then I checked some other sites and found it is usually sold at more 2.000 euros.
In USA (where the prices for Fender and Gibson are always much lower than in Europe) I found that some on-line shop was selling it at more than $1.600, shipment not included. Many other sites are offering it at almost $2.000.

I wonder how is that price difference possible. The site which sells it at 1.129 euros say they have stock and it is not a b-stock article.

I understand differences in price, but more than 1.000 euros, doubling the price?

What's your opinion and what is the price that matches best the actual value of the guitar (given the current prices for different Gibson Lps)?
Quote by adetheheat

Yes, but changed into euros the price is still 1,490. Not bad compared to more than 2,000 euros on some sites.

I understand the thing about margins, but from 1,129 to 2,000 or even more, does look a huge and not usual difference to me.

Imagine I was following this guitar for some weeks trying to decide if spend this 2,000 buckets or not, and suddenly I would find this price (1,100), I would be like, What!?
Or even worse, imagine I just bought it for 2,000 and next week I see it for 1,100

Unfortunately I just got a Telecaster 3 months ago...
Guitars in Europe are actually more expensive than the ones in the US. I've visited UK once and the guitars were 20% more expensive.
Quote by frangs
Yes, but changed into euros the price is still 1,490. Not bad compared to more than 2,000 euros on some sites.

I understand the thing about margins, but from 1,129 to 2,000 or even more, does look a huge and not usual difference to me.

Imagine I was following this guitar for some weeks trying to decide if spend this 2,000 buckets or not, and suddenly I would find this price (1,100), I would be like, What!?
Or even worse, imagine I just bought it for 2,000 and next week I see it for 1,100

Unfortunately I just got a Telecaster 3 months ago...

It's not the same guitar. The one linked that's more expensive is a Classic, which has binding on both the body and the fretboard. The one you linked is something they called the Classic Rock (very confusing, if you ask me), which seems more or less a glorified Les Paul Studio. It seems to have a special finish and upgraded pickups, but other than that, it's a studio. No binding etc.
I don't know about the differences to other Les Paul.
Finding it at such "low" price compared to the other sites is what surprised me.

I copied and pasted the specifications from Gibson.com:

Body
Top Maple
Back Mahoghany
Binding Black
Weight Relief 9 Hole
Adhesive Franklin Titebond 50

Neck
Species Mahogany
Profile Slim Taper / .800" - .875"
Truss Rod Les Paul / 18.125"

Neck Fit
Joint Mortise & Tenon
Joint Angle Tolerance +/- .005"

Fingerboard
Species Rosewood
Frets 22
Radius 12"
Binding Black
Inlays Acryllic Trapezoid
Nut/E.O.B 1.695" / 2.260"

Nut
Material Tektoid™
Width 1.695"
Slots Gibson PLEK System

Headstock
Logo Mother of Pearl "Gibson"
Silkscreen Gold "Les Paul Model"
Truss Rod Cover Black and White Bell with "Classic" Hotstamp
Angle 17 Degrees

Tuners
Model Grover™ Locking Keystone
Tuning Ratio 18:01
Material Zamak
Plating Chrome

Bridge
Type Tune-O-Matic
Material Zamak
Plating Chrome
Bridge
Tailpiece
Type Stop Bar
Material Zamak
Plating Chrome

Hardware
Knobs Chrome with Abalone Top
Pickguard N/A
Pickup Mounting Rings Black
Strings .009" - .046"
Strap Buttons Aluminum End Pins

Pickups
Rhythm Burstbucker 1 / Alnico #2
Lead Burstbucker 2 / Alnico #2
Cover Chrome
Coil Winding Machine Wound

Electronics
Potentiometers 2 Volume Control
1 Tone Control
Volume (Lead / Rhythm) 500K Non-Linear Push/Pull
Tone 500K Non-Linear
Switches Three-Way Pickup Selector
Mini-Toggle Selector
15db Boost
Output Jack Traditional 1/4"

Finish
Turquoise

Sealer Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Surface Texture Smooth / Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer
Sealer 1 - 1.5 mils
Top Coat Hi GLoss Lacquer / 90 Sheen 7 - 8 mils
Case
Type Hardshell
Case Exterior Brown
Accessories
Additional Materials Truss Rod Wrench, Gibson USA Owner's Manual
It's the binding, probably. The pickups and stuff don't cost Gibson that much more, the binding probably does. Not as much as the price difference actually is, but finding a full thickness Les Paul with binding under 1500 euros new is almost impossible. Some Classics and Deluxe models are still being cleared now from 2015 to make space for the 2016 guitars, so you can do some deals.
Have a look at dv247 - £835 for a classic rock. I think what is more scandalous is the price of a 2016 LP Standard at £2099 from virtually every store (price fixing!!). Also, is there any real difference between a 2015 LP and a 2016 model that can justify the difference in price. Finally, see my post on LP pelham blue cracked finish on a Gibbo which was only 3 months old. Oh, and how come a 2015 LP deluxe in gold can vary in price from £785 to £1600?
Last edited by monabri at Jan 19, 2016,
Quote by monabri
Have a look at dv247 - £835 for a classic rock. I think what is more scandalous is the price of a 2016 LP Standard at £2099 from virtually every store (price fixing!!). Also, is there any real difference between a 2015 LP and a 2016 model that can justify the difference in price. Finally, see my post on LP pelham blue cracked finish on a Gibbo which was only 3 months old. Oh, and how come a 2015 LP deluxe in gold can vary in price from £785 to £1600?

I guess any shop can fix the price they find appropriate (or no? does Gibson have something to say about that?) but you would expect some reasonable ranges.
The problem here is when you look on 4 or 5 sites and you say "ok this guitar is about 2,000; I will buy it here where they ask 1,900", and then on the next week you find some place in Germany or wherever, priced at 1,000.
I am quite new at this so I thought that established brands would fix some ranges on the price but I am seeing it is not like this. Good to know.

Anyway, this is something because what is not usual is that the prices in Europe or Gibson and Fender are lower than in US? isn't it?
Quote by monabri

Minimum Advertised Price is not price fixing. A shop can sell it below that price, but if they advertise it as less, they'll be sanctioned.
Prices in the UK seem to be the same" numerically " as in the US - that is 1000 dollars = 1000 pounds. Example Fender deluxe reverb 65 on Amazon.com (US) was $1099 or £1199 even though there are currently 0.71 pounds to the dollar so the amp should by just over £700 - that's why Britain is called "treasure island"!!

I see the point about minimum advertised pricing but try and get a discount of more than £50 for a £1500 guitar at some of the big outlets such as "guitarguitar". How do outlets such as coda or dv247 get away with selling les Paul deluxe goldtop for £785 and advertise it in Dec 2015 at that price and not have the big G hassling them? I bought my 2015 deluxe in pelham blue for just under 900 quid yet the manufacturers price was double this so how could they get away with it? All I can think of is that Gibson allowed them to flog their old stock so they could take the new and sexy 2016 models and have room in the shop. I wonder if Gibson gave them incentives to sell off the old unpopular 2015 models?
Last edited by monabri at Jan 19, 2016,