I know this is a generic question and there might be some other threats on this but here goes:

I'm a guitar player for 7 years now and I've been playing metal stuff most of the time.
I feel like my technique is pretty decent at the moment but i'm kinda lacking musicality a bit. I'm really into technical stuff like Born of Osiris, Periphery, Jeff Loomis and Paul Gilbert and I enjoy playing bits those songs. But when it comes to solo's and stuff they are a bit too difficult sometimes.

I am currently trying to play bits like the ending of Follow The Signs and some sweepy parts of Miles of Machines but I'm looking for songs/solos that have more musicality to them and a bit less technical nonsense. This means that I could play through a whole intermediate/advanced song without grinding technique exercises for a couple of months.

It would be nice if they fit in my "genre" but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Last edited by Zappo at Jan 19, 2016,
well whether it's "Musical" is up to you. If you find very little musicality in metal music... look elsewhere!

And a lot of musicality is in the technique. Keeping up with speedy stuff is one thing, but it's another level to add technical finesse to it. Vibrato, accents, bends, effective use of legato (not just convenient), and so on.

At the end of the day, musicality is something that you do for yourself, not something that you imitate by rote. Try taking on some slower music that gives you room to experiment with more expressive techniques, phrases, and melodic choices. Once you develop a feel, you take what you learned to other music you like.