I practice mainly guitar music like Vai, Yngwei, etc. I am looking to learn arpeggios for lydian, dorian, harmonic minor and so on. Most guides online point to dominant 7th arpeggios and so on, but these just don't seem very good when I improvise with the basic rock scales and modes. Are there any good guides for which arpeggios would be best for specific scales and modes, and so on?

Thank you
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
An arpeggio is a chord. If you want to learn how to use arpeggios, learn chord theory. You should look up how to build scales with intervals, then how to build chords with scales, and there's your answer. If you learn the chords diatonic to C major, you know what arpeggios you can use when a song is in C major.

To get started, you should familiarize yourself with major and minor chord shapes. There are plenty of lessons out there that handle this, this site itself has probably a gazillion sweeping lessons that also show the basic arpeggio shapes.

To even get started on getting started, you should definitely know a thing or two about intervals. So if the word "interval" says absolutely nothing to you, I suggest looking up lessons and articles on that.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
An arpeggio is a chord. If you want to learn how to use arpeggios, learn chord theory. You should look up how to build scales with intervals, then how to build chords with scales, and there's your answer. If you learn the chords diatonic to C major, you know what arpeggios you can use when a song is in C major.

To get started, you should familiarize yourself with major and minor chord shapes. There are plenty of lessons out there that handle this, this site itself has probably a gazillion sweeping lessons that also show the basic arpeggio shapes.

To even get started on getting started, you should definitely know a thing or two about intervals. So if the word "interval" says absolutely nothing to you, I suggest looking up lessons and articles on that.

Thank you. Actually I do know about intervals and know how the scales and modes are made, and like root-3-5 is major and so on. I guess I was confused about the usage of arpeggios, but I am starting to assume that if the chord progression is CAD then I just use the major arpeggios and similarly if there is a dom 7 in the chord progression then I use the exact same arpeggio for that. I thought there was a bit more to it
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Jan 20, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute
I practice mainly guitar music like Vai, Yngwei, etc. I am looking to learn arpeggios for lydian, dorian, harmonic minor and so on. Most guides online point to dominant 7th arpeggios and so on, but these just don't seem very good when I improvise with the basic rock scales and modes. Are there any good guides for which arpeggios would be best for specific scales and modes, and so on?

Thank you

You looking for arpeggio shapes, or want to know what the chords are for these various scales?