Hey folks,

So I've been playing on a Vox VT40+ (http://www.voxamps.com/vt40+) for a while now, but it just doesn't seem to be pumping out the amount of sound that I want to get out of it. It can get pretty loud, but at the sacrifice of really loosing out on clearness and tone. I'm usually trying to play along with a drummer who has an obnoxiously loud drum kit, so it's tough to get enough power out of this thing to pair up with him for a good tone.

Anyway, I plan on upgrading to a more powerful amp, but I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I definitely would prefer a tube amp because I like the more natural, vintage feel that they have, and I don't need many effects, just some reverb and overdrive/distortion. A distorted, fuzzy sound is really what I'm shooting for. Think the song Numb by Gary Clark Jr. or anything off of the Cherub Rock album by Smashing Pumpkins (I know they're probably using a few pedals to get their sound, but you get the idea).

I'm working with a budget of ~$400 and would prefer to look off of what Sam Ash has available because I have a giftcard, but I'm willing to take any suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking at right now: Bugera V22 Infinium 22-Watt 1x12" Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v22-infinium-22w-1x12-all-tube-guitar-combo-amp)
^This seems to have gotten some good reviews, but it's only 22-Watts, so I don't know if it'll be loud enough. Then again, I would have no idea what factors are involved in what allows for high volume and what doesn't.

For the record, I'm playing on a fender tele.

Any advice would be a huge help here, thanks.
it depends a lot on the design of the amp, but in general, more wattage equals more clean headroom i.e. the louder you can turn the thing up and still have a clean tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Vox VT40 is relatively quiet compared to a good tube amp with a quality speaker. Using a highly efficient speaker like the V30, most guitarists can run with a drummer at 15-20 tube watts. With only $400 to spend and looking for a more hi-gain amp, I would look at Jet City, Peavey Valve King, and Laney. Buying used would allow you to get more amp for less $$.

My very limited experience with Bugera suggests... All foam, no beer. YMMV
Not a tube amp, but for your price point you can get a new Fender Mustang III (v2) 100w 1x12. These can be found as low as $249 when marked down on sale. Add the versatile optional 4btn fsw and EXP-1 Expression & Volume Pedal and you'll be able to be set. Or, go with the 150w 2x12 Mustang IV (v2) that comes with the 4btn fsw. These can be found new marked down to $400 when on sale.

Either of these amps can be turned up LOUD! You'll have no problem playing with a strong drummer.

The Mustangs definitely need a bit of optimizing their Advanced Amp features, to unleash the magic! If you're looking for a simple plug and play single sound characteristic amp, do not bother with the Mustangs! With a bit of time learning what the equipmwnt can do, you'll likely be astounded!

Fender includes the FUSE PC/Mac software for accessing and controlling the amp as well as getting to the vast online community of shared Presets that save time and effort configuring the Amp's sounds and response. If you have an Android device, get the REMUDA App from the Google Play Store. REMUDA does things FUSE lacks and has a fantastic Performance Mode where Presets may be assigned to Songs and Set Lists.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at Jan 19, 2016,
Quote by TheMaxSchmitt
Hey folks,

So I've been playing on a Vox VT40+ (http://www.voxamps.com/vt40+) for a while now, but it just doesn't seem to be pumping out the amount of sound that I want to get out of it. It can get pretty loud, but at the sacrifice of really loosing out on clearness and tone. I'm usually trying to play along with a drummer who has an obnoxiously loud drum kit, so it's tough to get enough power out of this thing to pair up with him for a good tone.

Anyway, I plan on upgrading to a more powerful amp, but I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I definitely would prefer a tube amp because I like the more natural, vintage feel that they have, and I don't need many effects, just some reverb and overdrive/distortion. A distorted, fuzzy sound is really what I'm shooting for. Think the song Numb by Gary Clark Jr. or anything off of the Cherub Rock album by Smashing Pumpkins (I know they're probably using a few pedals to get their sound, but you get the idea).

I'm working with a budget of ~$400 and would prefer to look off of what Sam Ash has available because I have a giftcard, but I'm willing to take any suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking at right now: Bugera V22 Infinium 22-Watt 1x12" Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v22-infinium-22w-1x12-all-tube-guitar-combo-amp)
^This seems to have gotten some good reviews, but it's only 22-Watts, so I don't know if it'll be loud enough. Then again, I would have no idea what factors are involved in what allows for high volume and what doesn't.

For the record, I'm playing on a fender tele.

Any advice would be a huge help here, thanks.

used Peavey Valveking. this will be loud enough and leave some money to get a Big Muff pedal which you will need for SP tones.
Quote by monwobobbo
used Peavey Valveking. this will be loud enough and leave some money to get a Big Muff pedal which you will need for SP tones.

This.

also look at the Ashdown Fallen Angel FA60 or FA-40 like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-FC40-Watt-Combo-Guitar-Bass-Tube-Amp-w-12-Gently-Used-/301845607319?hash=item4647667397:g:0CUAAOSwAKxWbFeh

Might need an overdrive or some fuzz pedals to put in front to get to exactly where you want to go
X2 on tube stuff. I played in a band where the drummer beat the snot out of everything. My 20w JCA head was plenty to cut through his drums either at practice, small venues, or as a stage monitor while mic'ing the cab for the pa.

In my experience, 20w tube 2x12 > 75w solid state 4x12, for both quality and quantity.