I want a new bass for recording demos and stuff. I probably wouldn't gig with it but I still want something that's pretty good. Right now it's between a Hofner Ignition, a Fender Jazz Bass, and a squier vintage modified jazz bass. I mostly play experimental/psych/spacey stuff and that's the main reason I wanted a Hofner. I'm starting to lean more towards the squier though. How do they compare to the fenders? I've played the classic vibe guitars before and they were alright so would it be like those? Thanks
The Squire would be a good beginner bass. Not that it sucks tonally, but compared to the Fender the playability is shit. Professionally, I think the fender would be better than the squire. I've never used a Hofner
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Quote by jwmcdaniel97
The Squire would be a good beginner bass. Not that it sucks tonally, but compared to the Fender the playability is shit.

They are literally the same shape and dimensions.

Quote by cowboy_jones
I've played the classic vibe guitars before and they were alright so would it be like those? Thanks

The Classic Vibe basses are good enough to gig and session with. So long as you give the fretwork, bridge saddles and solder a quick checkup then it's a bass for life.

Source: Used to play Fender, now I play Squier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

Squier/Fender comparison.

Much as I love Violin Basses, their versatility will leave you wanting in the studio. A Jazz or Precision will have a more universal tone to fit any style.
When you've had the best you can pass an opinion based on experience.
I've owned
!960 Hohner
1963 Burns split sound 6 string bass.
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Precision deluxe
Mexican Precision
MM Stingray five.
G&L L2500 tribute
G&L L2500
Mexican Fender Jazz Bass
Squier 6 string.
Squier Affinity jazz bass V
I currently record and gig with my Affinity.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You've gotta find the right Squire though, and be prepared to do a little work on it. The best way is to go in to shops and play to find the right one, or go on craigslist or a similar site and meet up with the sell to test out the bass.

I've played a few off the wall VM basses from Squier and have been very impressed, but I've also played a few bad ones. It may just be the fact that a lot of shops these days don't take good care of their instruments, so they end up with high action from neck warping and dead strings, which makes any bass play and sound like crap.

I remember when the Hartke Hydrive amps just came out and I wanted to try one of the combos. I picked up a Fender MIM bass off the wall and thought the amp sounded horrible. Then I plugged in my Ibanez ATK bass and was wowed at the difference. I think most would say that the two basses are very comparable in quality, but in this case my Ibanez kicked the fender's butt completely.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I'm left handed so its kinda hard to play anything before I buy it. That's why I was thinking of getting something like a Fender or Squier so I can have somewhat of an idea of the quality

My main concern is the sound/playability really. I don't know if I want the Hofner because it's not as versatile as a precision. but I'd still wanna get one.
The thing with Fender/Squier is that the variability is immense. you can get a poor MIA or a great Squier, you really should try to play them before you buy. If anything the quality control for Squier esp the more expensive ones is better than MIA Fenders. You can also upgrade any bass by having a luthier do a complete overhaul and by upgrading the pick ups or the electrics. Anyone who sweepingly dismisses all Squiers or MIM Fenders isn't really looking very hard. On the used market there are some lovely made in Japan Fenders if you want to go the Fender route. That's from someone who plays MIA Fenders by the way.

The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe both have good reputations, but try first.
The Squier VM and Classic Vibes are excellent. I've also heard great things about Yamaha but personally I do not like the look of them. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 and it's brilliant for the money. A bass with P/J configuration is extremely versatile.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
If I were you I'd go with a Squier VM with a J/Jor P/J pickup configuration. You could get near the Hofners tone easily and also have much more variety. If you get the Hofner youll have a one trick pony.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Have you thought about looking second hand? You can definitely, definitely, find a decent Jazz kicking around somewhere that would otherwise be out of your price range. I hear the MIJ ones are held in high regard if you can find one.