Hello, im new here, and im at my wits end here. So i have bought a Epiphone Dr100 as a starter guitar, after breaking my g string i bought some http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Masterbuilt-Premium-Phosphor-Bronze-013-056-Acou-Bronze-/272014064457?hash=item3f554d3b49:g:x0oAAOSwu4BVkrtt as they where similar, all was fine, until a broke my d string which is when i decided to i may as well restring the whole thing as it wasnt sounding right. So its all strung but im getting some fret buzz, and im struggling to fix it. it is mainly on the A E strings but also on the d string. its on all frets but mainly on the top ones, the fret buzz is coming from when i press the string down it vibrates form the fret below it. Now i have moved the alan key inside. I'm new to guitar so this is annoying. now the annoying thing is that i bought another pack of these before i restrung the guitar as a spare set.
Any help is good help
Thanks
~James
Last edited by JamesHumphries4 at Jan 20, 2016,
the action could be set incorrectly. Perhaps you should take it to a luthier to calibrate the guitar.
Are you sure you replaced it with the same gauge strings?

You could put a shim under the nut to raise the action a little.
Quote by TobusRex

they feel slightly thicker, ill have a look at that now thanks
Quote by TobusRex

what would you use as a shim? if you put one under the bridge as i think it might help. i dont feel comfortable taking the nut off
]
Last edited by JamesHumphries4 at Jan 20, 2016,
Quote by JamesHumphries4
what would you use as a shim? if you put one under the bridge as i think it might help. i dont feel comfortable taking the nut off
]

I think you can use nearly anything as a shim. I saw comments about paper, cardboard, pieces of credit card, etc. I just suggested a shim because it's cheap and figured you might be able to save yourself a $50 setup fee. There are videos on youtube that take you through the process step by step.

I concur that a setup would probably be easiest for you, I just suggested the shim because I know it would suck to pay $50 setup on a $140 guitar.

Besides the fret buzz how are you liking that Epi? I've heard the DR-100 is pretty good for the bucks.
Yeah, when I had buzzing before on my strings and guitar due to the overall setup being basically messed up and not calibrated much before, I used an extra sturdy scrap of paper. Worked very well, kept the guitar from buzzing more until I sent it in to get it fixed. Some of those setups can really be very expensive just to fix one issue. That DR-100 is similar enough to my old Fender acoustic that the same thing might work for ya. And it is a nice beginner guitar for its price range. I got mine at about $250-$300 when it was factory brand new about 9 years ago. Still playing awesomely
Quote by TobusRex
I think you can use nearly anything as a shim. I saw comments about paper, cardboard, pieces of credit card, etc. I just suggested a shim because it's cheap and figured you might be able to save yourself a $50 setup fee. There are videos on youtube that take you through the process step by step.

I concur that a setup would probably be easiest for you, I just suggested the shim because I know it would suck to pay $50 setup on a $140 guitar.

Besides the fret buzz how are you liking that Epi? I've heard the DR-100 is pretty good for the bucks.

ive done as much as i can do myself, and im not going to pay that sort of money, for something that i can live with. anyway i adjusted the truss rod and highered the saddle. it works enough, theres an odd buzz but nothing too bad. what strings should i get next which would be less prone to buzzing.

ive got no other guitar to compare it to but i really like it, its nice and cheap and comes in some nice colours, i chose black. But it really attracts fingerprints and anything that touches it! it keeps its tune very nice, and gives a nice sound. i cant complain too much other than the buzzing and its quite easy to dent and chip which is a shame! this is the perfect guitar to travel with though. i would recommend it
Quote by CherokeShredder
Yeah, when I had buzzing before on my strings and guitar due to the overall setup being basically messed up and not calibrated much before, I used an extra sturdy scrap of paper. Worked very well, kept the guitar from buzzing more until I sent it in to get it fixed. Some of those setups can really be very expensive just to fix one issue. That DR-100 is similar enough to my old Fender acoustic that the same thing might work for ya. And it is a nice beginner guitar for its price range. I got mine at about $250-$300 when it was factory brand new about 9 years ago. Still playing awesomely

thanks man, i just got some paper and folded it up and slotted it in and raised it. maybe by 4mm im not to sure, but its much better, still there but its playable
James: I'd probably just run with what worked before on the string gauge.

Glad you are happy with your guitar. I wish I had started out on something as good as a DR-100. I started on a crappy parlour guitar with a twisted neck that could ALMOST be tuned, haha.
Oh tell me about it on some guitars, Tobus. Some of these things just simply will not work no matter how much is done with them.
Quote by TobusRex
James: I'd probably just run with what worked before on the string gauge.

Glad you are happy with your guitar. I wish I had started out on something as good as a DR-100. I started on a crappy parlour guitar with a twisted neck that could ALMOST be tuned, haha.

I'm not sure what gauge I had on before. I still have 5 of the old strings, and yeah I wanted to buy something decent to learn on. I hope to by an electric further inthe year.
There are a few options for gauge depending on what kind of guitar it is. Sounded to me before like you had the thinner strings, which sound nicer and cleaner but are also more prone to snapping and busting and making the guitar go to crap. Either way, hope it works out well for ya.
Quote by CherokeShredder
There are a few options for gauge depending on what kind of guitar it is. Sounded to me before like you had the thinner strings, which sound nicer and cleaner but are also more prone to snapping and busting and making the guitar go to crap. Either way, hope it works out well for ya.

okay what guage do you think would work?
You have low action ( your strings height from the fretboard )

I have this problem my my self and dude ... take it to your local guitar shop and let the pros take a look at it for your own good ... DONT TRY TO SOLVE IT BY YOUR SELF !!!!

chears
Quote by BulleTxFacE
You have low action ( your strings height from the fretboard )

I have this problem my my self and dude ... take it to your local guitar shop and let the pros take a look at it for your own good ... DONT TRY TO SOLVE IT BY YOUR SELF !!!!

chears

i know i could do with taking it to a guitar shop because i dont want to spend £50 for a fix for a £100 guitar i can live with it and ill just test some different strings until i find some i like
50 quid for fix low action ?!!!??!!?!???!! DAM SON !!

holy camoly dude ! this is too way expensive I have my guitar fixed with new strings and a fretboard polish with $40

IDK about you man but this is the only way to play properly
Chears XD
Just be careful that the strings you like don't turn into a massive clusterscrew. I remember having to fix up my acoustic's oldest strings because they didn't get fixed in such a long time. I bought some strings thinking they would work well. Turns out, they snapped pretty much a few weeks after having them first. And now the type of string I got before has been discontinued because others were complaining of the same. Be careful, is all I'm saying.
Quote by JamesHumphries4
I'm not sure what gauge I had on before. I still have 5 of the old strings, and yeah I wanted to buy something decent to learn on. I hope to by an electric further inthe year.

Usually guitars come with a set of 9s, least on the guitars I've bought off of online,
but then again, I've only ever bought 2 guitars, so I can't really give a statistic.