Hi all - I've been a strat player my whole life, and it's time for something different. I'm wanting to get into the dual-humbucker solidbody camp. I've played plenty of Gibsons and have never fallen in love. Two options I've been considering are the G&L Tribute ASAT deluxe and some of the PRS SE line. These seem roughly equivalent to me -- what's your experience of comparing their tone, fit & finish? Is there anything of comparable value you'd recommend over these two options?

Tonally and stylistically, warmth and fullness is most appealing to me. I like to play clean a lot of the time. Not so interested in jangle or screaming, nor that metal precision. I just tired of the overall thinness of single coil tone and am wanting something with more guts. I tend to play neck pup more than bridge. A number of different styles, but tend towards mellow / funky / melodic / chordal over soloing or distorted chugging.

My budget is $400ish and I'm fine with new or used. Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by wideyes at Jan 21, 2016,
I have a G&L Tribute ASAT deluxe and it is a really nice guitar, and you can get them cheap new from time to time at MF. I bought mine new (with a broken 3 way) for $270. It does not feel like the typical Fender tele, I call it a Super tele because like a super strat it has upgrades and pickup configurations not typically found on guitars those shapes. They also use the same hardware and pickups as their USA line which is pretty cool also.

I don't have a PRS SE, but I do have a CE22 (older USA line) and they feel quite different, but both have their places.

I'm more partial to PRS personally, but between their import line and the G&L import line, pick the one you like the look of best, if you have not played either type before.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love my Prs Se. I got it for around $400. So you know it's a budget guitar but when I switch back & forth with my higher priced guitars it still feels very nice. The 25" scale is wonderful as well. Very comfortable for bends. I mainly use it just for playing shows. I don't want to take my nicer guitars out and about. I did swap out tuners for Scahller and nut for Prs USA nut
Can't comment on G&L but I used to be a strat guy as well.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a G&L Tribute ASAT deluxe and it is a really nice guitar, and you can get them cheap new from time to time at MF. I bought mine new (with a broken 3 way) for $270. It does not feel like the typical Fender tele, I call it a Super tele because like a super strat it has upgrades and pickup configurations not typically found on guitars those shapes. They also use the same hardware and pickups as their USA line which is pretty cool also.

I don't have a PRS SE, but I do have a CE22 (older USA line) and they feel quite different, but both have their places.

I'm more partial to PRS personally, but between their import line and the G&L import line, pick the one you like the look of best, if you have not played either type before.

Thanks for the input!

What about the PRS do you prefer? One of my concerns about the ASAT is that the tone might be thinner than the PRS. I'm attracted right now to something fat, warm and sparkly, and that's one of the main reasons I'm interested in a dual humbucker setup.

Would you describe the ASAT tone as thinner than your PRS? I know it's not an SE so not a direct comparison...
Quote by Party51
I love my Prs Se. I got it for around $400. So you know it's a budget guitar but when I switch back & forth with my higher priced guitars it still feels very nice. The 25" scale is wonderful as well. Very comfortable for bends. I mainly use it just for playing shows. I don't want to take my nicer guitars out and about. I did swap out tuners for Scahller and nut for Prs USA nut
Can't comment on G&L but I used to be a strat guy as well.

Do you mind sharing which model of SE you have?
Quote by wideyes
Thanks for the input!

What about the PRS do you prefer? One of my concerns about the ASAT is that the tone might be thinner than the PRS. I'm attracted right now to something fat, warm and sparkly, and that's one of the main reasons I'm interested in a dual humbucker setup.

Would you describe the ASAT tone as thinner than your PRS? I know it's not an SE so not a direct comparison...

well my PRS sounds fatter and warmer, but that comes down to the Dragon II pickups that are in it. it is also probably one of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played besides a Parker Fly. It has killer balance and the neck is super comfy (wide-thick carve that is not as big as the name implies).

The G&L sounds good, but a little brighter, but nothing a little EQ adjustment can't fix. I have swapped the bridge pickup in it for a Suhr Aldrich and it screams now and is quite fat sounding. getting it at a lower price like I did makes getting new pickups no issue since you are so far under budget with the actual price.

Here you go if you don't mind a few pick scratches $350 for a Butterscotch blonde
www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-deluxe-carved-top-electric-guitar/h88845?condition=used#used

Personally I find the PRS SE pickups to be OK but nothing special. Actually most pickups in sub $600 guitars I would change so
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 21, 2016,
I had a PRS SE CU24 in Spalted Maple for a while.It felt great but had small issues.
Once i'd put in a Duncan JB/Jazz combo,Grover locking tuners,blocked the Trem and sanded the neck a little it was an amazing guitar.
Quote by wideyes
Do you mind sharing which model of SE you have?

I have the Se Standard 24 That I believe is all mahogany. Again budget guitar but plays nice. And played better than some used se custom 24s on the shelf the day I bought it with a couple more hundreds on the price tag.
Best thing was for me to play the thing first and get that feel of it.
Both are good options. I would also recommend a used Reverend if you can find one in your price range- they do pop up on occasion.

Right now, I know of a few HH Revs on eBay & Reverb.com that are in the $475-580 range. What kind of HH tone do you want? Les Paul-like warmth? Gretsh-style jangle?

More of a metal tone?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 21, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What kind of HH tone do you want? Les Paul-like warmth? Gretsh-style jangle?

More of a metal tone?

Great question -- the warmth and fullness is most appealing to me. I like to play clean a lot of the time. Not so interested in jangle or screaming, nor that metal precision. I just tired of the overall thinness of single coil tone and am wanting something with more guts. I tend to play neck pup more than bridge.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Both are good options. I would also recommend a used Reverend if you can find one in your price range- they do pop up on occasion.

Right now, I know of a few HH Revs on eBay & Reverb.com that are in the $475-580 range.

Unfortunately, I don't like the Reverend body shapes. Otherwise I'd be all over them :/

Thanks!
Last edited by wideyes at Jan 21, 2016,
MF had the G&L ASAT tribute HH in translucent black on clearance for $299 a couple months ago. Beautiful guitar, was really tempted but I already have a LP and SG so I don't need another dual humbucker guitar. Might have been sweetwater, I get catalogs from both but I think it was MF. If you like the comfortable thin body of a strat but not the chunkier LP body, you might want to try a SG, very thin and comfortable but perhaps a little too light on the body(tends to sag when standing). Great guitar though. I have the Epi 400 pro. They make HH strats too don't they? HSS (shawbuckers) are very common.
I would be hard pressed to choose between those, except I don't like bound solidbodies, so an unbound SE would get my vote. However, I would also be looking at the Fender Modern Player series in that price range. I tried the thinline deluxe tele in 2*P90 and liked it a lot.
Quote by hotrodney71
They make HH strats too don't they? HSS (shawbuckers) are very common.
Quote by Tony Done
However, I would also be looking at the Fender Modern Player series in that price range. I tried the thinline deluxe tele in 2*P90 and liked it a lot.
Good suggestions... I suppose I wasn't looking at Fender much because I've been playing Fenders for so long, and wanting to get into someone else's vibe.

I mean, G&L is obviously Fender-like, but different enough to entice me. I have to admit that the Modern Player thinline tele is one hot-looking axe. That might be enough to tempt me!

SGs have always appealed because they seem to be what I'm wanting, but the body shape and the feel of them have always been wrong to me. Like I said in the OP, Gibson's whole aesthetic is just not to my tastes.

Wow, listening to myself, I sound pretty picky! At least I'm in good company (I hope)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Both are good options.

Where's Danny?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I would also recommend a used Reverend...

There he is!

The G&L Tribute ASAT HB has always been high on my "Two humbuckers on a budget" list. The most recent run of PRS SE guitars have really impressed me, and I used to be a doubter of theirs. Both are solid choices. My personal flavor will always be towards the G&L, though.

I would still take almost every G&L Tribute over almost any MIM Fender.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
. Itz da TOANZ, da FEELZ!

I've actually been a big dan of the G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe II in Irish Ale.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=g%26l%20asat%20tribute%20deluxe%20ii
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Thanks for the recommendations!

I had the chance to visit Guitar Center yesterday and play some PRS SEs! No ASATs, but the SE custom 24s were enough to convince me I want one. Didn't like either of the Mark Tremontis I tried nor the standard (neck was crazy. thin. and tone not quite to my liking). But the Cu24s I tried were like butter, and far outclassed anything else in the price range I picked up. Made most of the other guitars I tried feel like toys. Great tone and very usable in all of the pickup configurations, which I find rare in a guitar.

On a side note, the MM Sterling in the $350 price range I tried was GARBAGE - one of the saddest axes I've picked up in a long time. OTOH, the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster was lovely and got a fair amount of play out of me. It confirmed my desire to move away from Fender at the moment, but if that weren't my direction, I would have been tempted...

Still wanting to play the ASAT, but I might just have to take a leap of faith to get my hands on one. How are the necks on them? I really enjoyed the slimmer, silkier neck on the PRS SEs.
It's a DC150, which had been discontinued, but was redesigned and reintroduced in 2002 with symmetrical horns and a PRS-like body. AFAIK, that design was discontinued in 2003 or 2004.
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/02-guitars.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's a DC150, which had been discontinued, but was redesigned and reintroduced in 2002 with symmetrical horns and a PRS-like body. AFAIK, that design was discontinued in 2003 or 2004.
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/02-guitars.html

It's a beauty and American-made, right? I'm seriously tempted. Hard to buy sight-unseen and never heard, but I'd wager it gives the PRS SE a run for its money.
All Carvins are USA made- in San Diego, as I recall.

I think PRS tend to have better pickups unless you get the Kiesel pickups in the Carvins. But if you're in the USA, it is hard to beat Carvin for bang for the buck in semi-custom guitars.

Well, I ended up going with this PRS SE Cu24:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172048388611

Upgraded with locking tuners and DiMarzio Titans! Seller includes original pickups if I don't like the sound. I'm stoked!!

Thanks for the input, y'all. I'll still be on the lookout for an ASAT at the right price. These guitars are both good enough and affordable enough that I should just own them both

Will post an update on NGD. Now for an amp upgrade
Woot!

that's a great choice!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Woot!
Thanks for all your suggestions, Danny. I think you're the first person to make me seriously consider buying a Carvin... I'm kind of scared, though. Carvin seems like a rabbit hole one must be prepared to go down
And at the bottom of that rabbit hole is...Wonderland.