Page 1 of 2
Yes, I've seen the movie but I already knew the story, most of the story. I knew he went crazy and how he was just loved by this country when they could use him as a tool in the Cold War. Then when he slipped into madness he was thrown away like a piece of garbage by George Bush senior and had to go into exile in Iceland.
I swear the way you address your post is probably the most interesting style since minterman. You might actually have something to you.
I am visiting iceland at the end of the month
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I mean you don't even stick to the topic of the thread title. You start out as though you're directly responding to someone, and then the whole thing shifts to you. Your knowledge of him, your opinions on the administrations he lived through, and then you just end it without ever broaching the topic of why he's interesting. It's all a vessel for your views on him being used, dismissed, and ashamed.

Who is more interesting: Bobby Fischer or yope?

Quote by steve_muse

I'm jealous.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I mean you don't even stick to the topic of the thread title. You start out as though you're directly responding to someone, and then the whole thing shifts to you. Your knowledge of him, your opinions on the administrations he lived through, and then you just end it without ever broaching the topic of why he's interesting. It's all a vessel for your views on him being used, dismissed, and ashamed.

I'm jealous.

You're missing the issue.

If yope kicked Bobby Fischer, would Bobby Fischer fall down?
Fischer wasn't nuts, he was obsessed. Only one thing mattered to him. He was a one-trick pony. A shallow uneducated jackass who only shined at one thing in his entire life. But HOW he shined at that one game.

It is amusing to think of the way the USA treated Fischer as a national hero after he won the World Title, not realizing he didn't give a damn about the USA (or any country for that matter...they weren't CAISSA). I took up chess when Fischer won the title (7 years old!), chess became a national fad in the USA for a few years. Fischer's impact on US CHESS was staggering.

For what it's worth I think Fischer was the best player ever. It's a shame his stubbornness ruined his career.

If you like chess you could do a hell of a lot worse than studying Fischer's games.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I'm jealous.

Yope is more interesting than Fischer. Already know all the dope on Fischer
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You're missing the issue.

If yope kicked Bobby Fischer, would Bobby Fischer fall down?

and does bobby fischer's ass feel like an oak tree?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
and does bobby fischer's ass feel like an oak tree?

It's probably just hip bones by now. So yeah....kinda like an oak.
He can't be interesting. He played chess.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
He can't be interesting. He played chess.

Hope you are being facetious. If not I think you'd be amazed at the whackos in the chess world.

Obsession runs very deep within the soul of Caissa. Fischer is not the only victim of the game.
Yeah. I've had to film interviews with some of those chess people. As in international players. These dudes were strange. I mean talk about obsessive talent encroaching on your social skills.

One of them was a Norwegian guy who's like 25 and is the world champion of something. As soon as we set the camera down he got up, whispered something into his handler's ear, and then we were out. We later found out he felt like the camera was intruding on his psychic space and didn't want to start talking to people.

Just strange. And the length these federations are willing to go to in order to indulge even mid-level players is incredible.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 20, 2016,
Yay!

But Bobby Fischer didn't kill people during the cold war like Chuck Barris did.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah. I've had to film interviews with some of those chess people. As in international players. These dudes were strange. I mean talk about obsessive talent encroaching on your social skills.

Oh yeah man. I met a shitload of grandmasters when I lived in Los Angeles. Used to play regularly in open and swiss events at a local chess club. Lots of eccentrics in the chess world. I met Victor Korchnoi...what a strange guy. Abandoned his family in the USSR to play chess in the West. Had some weird nervous habits, including one where he constantly held his hands behind his back and continuously "riffled" through the fingers touching all of them together. At another tournament I saw a polish GM grab a queen off the board and throw it across the room, nearly hitting a tournament director. Ernst Gufeld stole the knights off my board when I went to the restroom and I had to track that guy down to get my pieces back!! Apparently him showing the "Knight's Tour" to a noob was more important than me actually finishing my rated game!
Those sound like great experiences.

Apparently the dude I almost filmed is Magnus Carlsen and he's way more famous than I thought.
Quote by steve_muse

im trying my best to do the same in 1 year

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Edit: ^hmu burg

oh i just realised who this is about. My dad told me about that final between the murc and Russian the other day
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Jan 20, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Those sound like great experiences.

Apparently the dude I almost filmed is Magnus Carlsen and he's way more famous than I thought.

He's world champ. The Scandies are quite fine chessplayers, on par with the Russians.
oh and hmu with some iceland pics if you see any cool mountains or glaciers and shit

i was gonna post some pics from when we went hiking in the slovene alps this summer cuz i know you're about that lyfe but i forgot and i cba getting to the pc right now

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Will do, we've got a tour arranged for all that good stuff

sweet, i look forward to em. Need me some inspiration to tackle dat cold
Quote by ErikLensherr

tbf they're not proper alp pics, it's what we call the 'pre-alpine area' so much more grassy and foresty

but yeah sounds awesome, hope you have a great time

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by steve_muse

heyoo
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
oh shet it's the viking

^ back again?

shady's back. tell a friend

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Burgery
heyoo

You guys have a Lebowskis which is cool and probs our first stop for dinner. Gunna avoid fish as much as i can

Also, why is ur country so expensive
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by TobusRex
Fischer wasn't nuts, he was obsessed. Only one thing mattered to him. He was a one-trick pony. A shallow uneducated jackass who only shined at one thing in his entire life. But HOW he shined at that one game.

It is amusing to think of the way the USA treated Fischer as a national hero after he won the World Title, not realizing he didn't give a damn about the USA (or any country for that matter...they weren't CAISSA). I took up chess when Fischer won the title (7 years old!), chess became a national fad in the USA for a few years. Fischer's impact on US CHESS was staggering.

For what it's worth I think Fischer was the best player ever. It's a shame his stubbornness ruined his career.

If you like chess you could do a hell of a lot worse than studying Fischer's games.

but yeah that's why he lost his mind, it was beyond obsession and compulsion I don't think there is a word for it. The thing I find interesting about him is the talent and the obsession. When you get somebody who's tremendously talented and completely obsessed with doing something, anything that's when the going gets good. I think Bobby Fischer may be the best example of this, that's why I find him so intriguing. When he slept he must've dreamed of chess. It's similar to what happens with musicians or anybody gets really good at doing something/
I don't know very much about chess I mean I know how to play it . I read that Fischer was very conventional with his opening moves but as one Grand Master said playing him was like playing against a brick wall , impossible to win. That was at one Grand Master he stayed with in Los Angeles I think it was. They played 17 games.
Last edited by yope at Jan 20, 2016,
oddly i am somewhat interested in bobby fischer

he refers to the US as 'Israel West' and for reasons beyond me that phrase has been stuck in my mind since I read it
Quote by yope at #33788382
I don't know very much about chess

That's 'cause you're a stupid fucking bastard.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola

whoa where's all this hostility coming from?
Didn't we establish in another thread that Iceland is just awesome?

Hardly call that being in exile.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I always wanted to be good at chess...

I like playing it and that's not really helping my predicament
Lessons yope learned: Literally everything
Lessons yope learned by being banned on UG: Literally nothing

lol

Quote by chrismendiola

I've never seen this hostile side to you.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 21, 2016,
yope - you are fantastic, I hope I can be half the man you are when I'm your age

We should get some online chess going. I'm too tired now but would anyone be interested some time?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Sure, yeah. I'm absolutely horrid but willing.

Yeah this
Somebody get Christopher Walken
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I used to think I was bad at chess but then I realized I'm slightly less worse than the rest of my friends.

or I just got lucky. >_>
Page 1 of 2