Budget? - Around 600$

Genres? - Classic rock , hard rock , metal and blues.

New or Used? - I don't mind used but shipping is too expensive

Home or Gig? - Both

Closest City? - Cairo

Current Gear? Fender Squier Strat, Roland Cube XL15

Amps I'm considering: Bugera V22 , Fender Super Champ X2 , Marshall DSL15C , Blackstar HT-5R , Blackstar HT-5R Mini-stack and Blackstar HT-20.

What do you think is best ?

Thanks
For all the vintage classic rock and blues, I favor the Super Champ X2. It is a toneful little amp that gets it done. It is less credible once you get into Metal territory though. For that I would probably choose the DSL. Even in it's smallest iteration the Marshall ticks the familiar searing British guitar tones of the 80s and beyond. It is far less interesting for the vintage stuff though. Go play both and decide. The Blackstar amps are not on my radar.
Get the Fender Mustang IV (v2) 150w 2x12!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by MusicLaw
Get the Fender Mustang IV (v2) 150w 2x12!

Other than size, that is a sidestep. Or maybe backwards.

Look for a used DSL401 or dsl40c.

Orange ____ terror

Mesa f series, express, etc.

Peavey JSX
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Cairo Egypt?

Most of the things you listed are actually pretty decent plus what trashedlostfkup said. I really dig the Peavey Vypyr tube 60.

Also - great OP 98NO. Good job

Quote by Rebel Scum
I don't know butt...you need to buy a new amp

Um....that's. What. This. Thread. Is. For.
I tried to post as a guest but didnt work...dont have time...but if you want an awesome marshall tube amp for less bucks...get the MA100 head...i am 62 yrs ...been playing since i was 12 yrs...have had lots of amps and have nice guitars...this amp has great tone at low or hi volume...clean channel is awesome...reverb is good od and boost is awesome even with a cheap epi les paul special...with P90s...at low volume...looks cool...cant beat it for the price...dont be embarassed because its made in nam....and dont believe all the negative crap u read on this site...
That's the first time I've ever heard anybody say that the MA has great tone. I hated the one I played.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A friend of mine had an MA50 combo as backup to his TSL. Cranked loud through his 412 cab (standard G12-T75 cab), it sounded decent, to be honest. The stock speaker, not so much.

Out of the list, I'd honestly go for the Blackstar HT-20. I know people don't like their marketing and a lot of people find they don't excel at anything, but from the genres you listed, I see it as the only option that does all of those rather well.

For used stuff, look around locally. You'll want to pick it up and inspect it first anyway. If you feel like you don't know enough about value of stuff or what to check when you go pick it up, ask a friend who might know.
TBH the one I tried was through the stock speaker. What is that? A Seventy 80? It sounded bad enough to be a Seventy 80.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's an Eminence AX-75 apparently. OEM speakers for Marshall. It did the trick as a backup, but it still sounded worse than the TSL and that didn't sound amazing either in my opinion.
Instead of an MA, or as a suggestion to the TS? I think the MA-discussion is a little off-topic here. :P
MA's are just a step up from the VS. imo. i would take a valve king or a blue voodoo over it any day.

TSL's aren't that great of an amp either. however its been a while since i tried one :shurg:.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by donny53
I tried to post as a guest but didnt work...dont have time...but if you want an awesome marshall tube amp for less bucks...get the MA100 head...i am 62 yrs ...been playing since i was 12 yrs...have had lots of amps and have nice guitars...this amp has great tone at low or hi volume...clean channel is awesome...reverb is good od and boost is awesome even with a cheap epi les paul special...with P90s...at low volume...looks cool...cant beat it for the price...dont be embarassed because its made in nam....and dont believe all the negative crap u read on this site...

if you hang around for a while, you will see who knows shit and who doesn't.

the MA is overall a really shitty amp. i would take a DSL combo over one any day. fuck i would even go blackstar HT over the MA. and i am not a fan of the HT series blackstars.

if we post "negative crap u e read on this site" are you above us? you have no reputation for good info established because you haven't posted much. i would sure trust you over SOME of the experienced members no here.

the epi special is a piece of shit too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks everyone for the replies!

If I may ask, is there something specifically bad about the Blackstar HT ?
The main thing everybody hates about the Blackstar HT is the way that they are marketed as "all tube" when in fact they are a hybrid. They sound a bit brittle and gutless too. There are lots of better things out there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 98NO
Thanks everyone for the replies!

If I may ask, is there something specifically bad about the Blackstar HT ?

Some people are hung up on the deceitful advertising. Also, they are rather expensive for what you get. Also, they're not all tube, there's a lot of solid state clipping diodes in there. You can do better for the money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Peavey Valveking isn't bad.
Its not great at any one thing, but it can do a lot of things fairly decently
Kind of a jack of all trades amp.
I didn't care much for its cleans though, but I only had it for a week (was a repair job) and only had an AC30 to compare it too.
I know the Epiphone is a piece of shit...thats why i thought it a good thing that the tone was good thru the MA...i also have an HT5 blackstar with 212 celestions...and as far as i can tell its an all tube amp...else i wouldnt have bought it....i think it is great...i use it for recording....i also run the MA thru the celestion cab...and it sounds great to me....i have other guitars...i have a USA strat HH w coil splitter...a gibson les paul....and a Schecter with emgs...i can make them all sound good in the MA....maybe u are just a youngster who doesnt have the years behind him as i do as far as tone shaping...but believe it or not i could care less i get good tone from the MA and the Blackstar....sure it is not a top of the line Marshall....but u gotta work with what u got
I went back to read your post again...and the fact that u call youself "king of the guitar forum " tells me alot about who u are...a know it all...who likes to critisize every one he disagrees with...u got head problems little man...fixum...ill bet u sound like shit....no one is looking for your advice...
^ Hey donny.

Welcome to the forum. As it turns out trashedlostfdup (Derek) is very experienced and is actually a very good guitar player - if that is who you are talking to. No reason to start coping attitudes with the regulars around here. This gear forum is a little different than maybe others you've visited.

Quote by donny53
...i also have an HT5 blackstar with 212 celestions...and as far as i can tell its an all tube amp...else i wouldnt have bought it....i think it is great...i use it for recording....

It is a hybrid amp. Here is a gut shot of a Blackstar HT amp. All the parts circled in red are solid state op amps I believe - not tubes and resistors and capacitors.

Edit: I take that back...it does and it does have tubes. I'm just saying there are solid state parts where normally it would be 'tube' parts. Sorry, I'm not an engineer so I struggle.

Quote by I K0nijn I
Instead of an MA, or as a suggestion to the TS? I think the MA-discussion is a little off-topic here. :P

Either really. It is better than the MA for sure.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 23, 2016,
Quote by donny53
I know the Epiphone is a piece of shit...thats why i thought it a good thing that the tone was good thru the MA...i also have an HT5 blackstar with 212 celestions...and as far as i can tell its an all tube amp...else i wouldnt have bought it....i think it is great...i use it for recording....i also run the MA thru the celestion cab...and it sounds great to me....i have other guitars...i have a USA strat HH w coil splitter...a gibson les paul....and a Schecter with emgs...i can make them all sound good in the MA....maybe u are just a youngster who doesnt have the years behind him as i do as far as tone shaping...but believe it or not i could care less i get good tone from the MA and the Blackstar....sure it is not a top of the line Marshall....but u gotta work with what u got

Obviously i dont know my way around this site....as i dont go online forums hardly at all...it was HIS MAJESTIES...OR DEREKS arrogance that pissed me off from the start...there is a right way to talk to peple and his way is disrespectful to others as well ...i dont care how good a guitar player he is he lost my respect instantly with his nasty mouth...and acts as if you are a nooby...u are certainly without any knowlwedge of music...i suppose he would treat Mark knopfler with the same attitude as me....i was just looking for some fellow guitar players to chat with and picked a topic that i have some knoledge with...sorry i did...i respect ur feedback on the blackstar though...thanks...i thought it was all tube...
Quote by donny53
Obviously i dont know my way around this site....as i dont go online forums hardly at all...it was HIS MAJESTIES...OR DEREKS arrogance that pissed me off from the start...there is a right way to talk to peple and his way is disrespectful to others as well ...i dont care how good a guitar player he is he lost my respect instantly with his nasty mouth...and acts as if you are a nooby...u are certainly without any knowlwedge of music...i suppose he would treat Mark knopfler with the same attitude as me....i was just looking for some fellow guitar players to chat with and picked a topic that i have some knoledge with...sorry i did...i respect ur feedback on the blackstar though...thanks...i thought it was all tube...

It seems like he was just being frank. Cursing aside, when you give what people perceive to be bad advice, they tend to give their honest opinion about the gear. It seems that he was giving his honest and uncensored opinion on your gear, and acknowledged that you haven't been here long enough to know if you are knowledgeable or just blowing smoke. I'm not saying that your gear is crap because I'm not that familiar with the MA, but in general, bad advice is very dangerous here. When people are talking about spending $700- $800 on gear, people WILL call you out on bad advice if they feel that you are giving it. While I agree that forums like these tend to get a mob mentality on gear, for example, a lot of people will shit on any solid state amp because it is the general consensus that solid state amps are terrible, but they do have their place.

I don't doubt that you do get a decent tone out of your MA because dialing in an amp is an art form in itself, and I also agree that you have to work with what you have. God knows I've had to make due with bad gear before, but when someone is looking for new gear, they don't have to be limited in their choice. Can the TS get a good tone out of an MA? Probably. Is an MA the best amp he can get for what he wants (tone wise) and within his budget? Probably not. It's a shame that you took his post as absolute hostility because it did have its purpose. Some people are more abrasive than others, but if the TS ran out and bought an MA for $500+ and wasn't happy with it, it is the TS who is screwed. Not any of us.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
And the whole "king of the guitar forum" came out of a joke. Can't you tell by the way it's listed as three quotes? IMO you started the hostility with your "and dont believe all the negative crap u read on this site..." like you singularly are a greater source of knowledge than the rest of us, even though you fell for Blackstar's lies about the HT being all tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JSX combo, Marshall DSL40c (just don't put it on the Level 2 gain and crank the gain, it sounds like ass then).

Vypyr Tube 60 is ok. I have one, the noise gate is uber-annoying. The high-gain sounds are great though. Effects are ok to meh.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Jan 23, 2016,
Panama Infuego 15watt. You can find them on Reverb.com. Also the new 6505MH is nice. I'd also recommend a used Laney Ironheart 60watt head. The clean channel on the Panama is nice and same with the Laney, so with pedals you could get your blues wish, but for hard rock and metal, either one of those would really work.
information is information, and attitude is attitude.

bottom line, MA's aren't that great. nor are blackstars. valvekings are workable.

FWIW i don't own any marshall amps. just a pair of splawns (both KT88's). somewhat the same, somewhat different.

yes, my signature is a joke. lighten up or you are going to have a VERY hard time here.

if my language offends you REALLY need to relax.

donny - bad information is bad information, THAT is why i called you out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Hi donny here...thanks for the reply and the edit on the ht5 blackstar being a tube amp...i believe u ar Gg+A baby...hard to keep up...and for the king of the forum...lets put it behind us...i dont believe i am above anyone...i was referring to the bad reviews theMA has been getting...but it has also rcieved some good reviews....and i am happy with mine....i will relax in the future and respect your oppinions...just try to look for some truth in mine....sorry for my brash response to you...as for GG+A baby...hope i got that right...i just ordered another Blackatar Studio 20...will go well with my Blackstar 212 cab.... i am returning the Marshall MA for a refund just because the thing is just too damn loud for what i do....no hard feelings i hope...donny53
Quote by donny53

Oh Gawd

I'll let one of the more tech savvy guy's answer your questions about the HT-5....

So you're saying that a HT-5, or MA are great amps, but an Epiphone guitar sucks? Which model? I know they do make some shitty low end ones, but there are some nice epiphones IMO.

Can you post some of these recordings to school us "Youngster" on what real tone is?? Please and thank you.

Also, you're saying you get good tones from those amps, but could care less?? What the hell does that mean? Don't you want a good tone?

I don't think any of us here are trying to say that you've gotta spend big bucks to get a nice tone; Just that we agree that those previously mentioned amps suck.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Sorry to bring the topic back to the MA, but wouldn't a speaker change, change of preamp tubes and a nice overdrive in front fix that amp? I felt it was just bland when I heard it, probably mostly due to a budget speaker and cheap tubes Korg/Marshall stuck in it from the factory.
Quote by diabolical
Sorry to bring the topic back to the MA, but wouldn't a speaker change, change of preamp tubes and a nice overdrive in front fix that amp? I felt it was just bland when I heard it, probably mostly due to a budget speaker and cheap tubes Korg/Marshall stuck in it from the factory.

Probably, but it falls under the 'why bother?' category when you can grab a DSL used for less than an MA.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by donny53
Hi donny here...thanks for the reply and the edit on the ht5 blackstar being a tube amp...i believe u ar Gg+A baby...hard to keep up...and for the king of the forum...lets put it behind us...i dont believe i am above anyone...i was referring to the bad reviews theMA has been getting...but it has also rcieved some good reviews....and i am happy with mine....i will relax in the future and respect your oppinions...just try to look for some truth in mine....sorry for my brash response to you...as for GG+A baby...hope i got that right...i just ordered another Blackatar Studio 20...will go well with my Blackstar 212 cab.... i am returning the Marshall MA for a refund just because the thing is just too damn loud for what i do....no hard feelings i hope...donny53

Sounds fine to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The main complaint I've heard about the MA is that the preamp gain is a little buzzy sounding, so to really get the best out of that amp, people suggest to use a bit more volume to get the tubes cooking, and then fill in the rest with the gain knob to cut down on the buzz sound. If Donny is taking the amp back because it's too loud, then he probably is using that method, which explains how he is getting a good tone out of it.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by donny53

The Blackstar HT is a hybrid amp.

My username is 311ZOSOVHJH.

Thanks