Hello I have a Peavey Windsor head (120-watt, all-tube amplifier) I can siwth the Ohm's between 4, 8 and 16. I'm planning to buy a new guitar cabinet. I saw a Marshall 4x12 196 lead a cabinet for 300 euros. But this older version of the cab still has a speakon connection. I can't switch the cab between 8 ohm and 16 ohm. But live I want to play on 2 cabs, is this possible? What is the difference between this kind of cab and one I can switch between 8 or 16 Ohm? Thanks a lot!
Quote by woutbiesmans1
I saw a Marshall 4x12 196 lead a cabinet for 300 euros. But this older version of the cab still has a speakon connection.
Never heard of a guitar cab with a speakon input, you sure it's a guitar cab and not a bass cab?
Also I haven't found any info about any marshall 1960 with a speakon in.
Quote by woutbiesmans1
I can't switch the cab between 8 ohm and 16 ohm. But live I want to play on 2 cabs, is this possible?
If the impedance of the other cab is the same as the marshall cab, assuming you're actually looking at a marshall cab with speakon in's, and that the cabs' impedance in not 4ohm (unless one of the cab has an output as well, then it becomes a bit more complicated), you should be good to go.
Quote by woutbiesmans1
What is the difference between this kind of cab and one I can switch between 8 or 16 Ohm? Thanks a lot!
I am still not sure what cab that is.
Care to post a link or something?

The difference anyway is how the speakers are wired inside the cab - some have only one wiring but permit to chain cabs, like some orange cabs IIRC, some have two inputs for different wirings resulting in different impedances, some have a switch for mono/stereo, but it's all different wirings only.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks already! Here is the discription:

Marshall JCM 900 4x12" cab 1960a
Nineties cab with speakon connection inclusive cable
Standaard Celestion G12T-75 speakers.

Oh the men made the speakon connection on his own because "it's stronger". Well, maybe it isn't a good plan to buy that cabinet?
Last edited by woutbiesmans1 at Jan 21, 2016,
That's weird.

I'd be hesitant to buy that cab because who knows what else might be wrong with it. What is that wired for now?

But when I look at the back of the Windsor - it has 2 parallel speaker cabinet out jacks. Do you have a cab now and you want to buy another one or are you planning on buying 2 cabs? Either way, make sure both cabinets are the same impedance. Then, for example, if they are both 8 ohm cabs, you would set the amp to 4 ohms. If both cabs are 16 ohms, then you would set the amp to 8 ohms. Get it?

If it is just one cab, then you match evenly 8 to 8 or 16 to 16 etc.

NOW-

If what you were thinking is that you were going to daisy chain one cab to another, then yes obviously you can't do that with the one you posted a picture of. Also, I believe daisy chaining the cabs would be set up in Series (not Parallel) so you add the ohms together as opposed to dividing by 2 like I did above. Get it? So Series is 8+8 or 16+16=32 (no go as your amp does not have a 32 ohm tap).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
https://www.google.com/search?q=peavey+windsor&espv=2&biw=1387&bih=761&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuz6Kn1LvKAhVY02MKHSGgDtIQsAQIOQ#imgrc=CZMLK2fZxeahhM%3A
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 21, 2016,
look at these cabs, the ones labeled vintage have V30 speakers and are stupid cheap for what you get
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

if you can do with a 2x12, their 2x12 vintage cab is a great deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's weird.

I'd be hesitant to buy that cab because who knows what else might be wrong with it. What is that wired for now?

But when I look at the back of the Windsor - it has 2 parallel speaker cabinet out jacks. Do you have a cab now and you want to buy another one or are you planning on buying 2 cabs? Either way, make sure both cabinets are the same impedance. Then, for example, if they are both 8 ohm cabs, you would set the amp to 4 ohms. If both cabs are 16 ohms, then you would set the amp to 8 ohms. Get it?

If it is just one cab, then you match evenly 8 to 8 or 16 to 16 etc.

NOW-

If what you were thinking is that you were going to daisy chain one cab to another, then yes obviously you can't do that with the one you posted a picture of. Also, I believe daisy chaining the cabs would be set up in Series (not Parallel) so you add the ohms together as opposed to dividing by 2 like I did above. Get it? So Series is 8+8 or 16+16=32 (no go as your amp does not have a 32 ohm tap).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
https://www.google.com/search?q=peavey+windsor&espv=2&biw=1387&bih=761&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuz6Kn1LvKAhVY02MKHSGgDtIQsAQIOQ#imgrc=CZMLK2fZxeahhM%3A

Thanks a lot! I always played on a 4 Ohm cab with my head on 4 Ohm. But know I'm planning to buy a Marshall 1960a lead cabinet to play on 16 Ohm on my head and cabinet at home. Live I would love to play on 8 Ohm with 2 cabs and my head on 16 Ohm then aim I right?

So I'm not going to buy the cab above because the connection isn't orgininal. I just want to be safe. But 300 euros for a Marshall 4x12" 1960 would be a decent price, no? I just want to know.
Then I buy one scenond handed that I can switch between 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm, that would be the best thing to do, right?

Really thanks a lot for all this info!
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Thanks a lot! I always played on a 4 Ohm cab with my head on 4 Ohm. But know I'm planning to buy a Marshall 1960a lead cabinet to play on 16 Ohm on my head and cabinet at home. Live I would love to play on 8 Ohm with 2 cabs and my head on 16 Ohm then aim I right?

So I'm not going to buy the cab above because the connection isn't orgininal. I just want to be safe. But 300 euros for a Marshall 4x12" 1960 would be a decent price, no? I just want to know.
Then I buy one scenond handed that I can switch between 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm, that would be the best thing to do, right?

Really thanks a lot for all this info!

That is a little confusing.

I'd rather have Vintage 30s BTW.

If that one cab you listed has not had the speakers swapped out with something crappy and they can tell you what the ohms are it might be a consideration. Ask him to take off one of the side handles and get a picture of the speakers inside.

If you run 2 cabs at once and you run them out of the 2 parallel speaker outs on the amp (as I would do it) then 2 - 16 ohm cabs means you set the amp to 8.
2 - 8 ohm cabs means you set the amp to 4. What you said would be incorrect/opposite.

Yes, $300 for a 1960A cab is a good deal as long as the wiring isn't messed up and the speakers are good. I'd be afraid the original speakers were removed and/or the original jack plate/wiring was screwed up.

Lastly, if you bought, for example, 2 - 16 ohm cabs and plugged in just 1 of those cabs then you would set the amp to 16 as well. If you plug in both of those cabs into the amp then you set the amp to 8 ohms. I know that may not make sense math wise but just remember that in parallel wiring you divide down and in series wiring you add together. Also, when it comes to impedance please keep in mind that the higher the number the greater the resistance so a 4 ohm cab will have less resistance than a 16 ohm cab.

Hope that helps.

PS: Why do you need two cabs again? Does it have to be Marshall and does it have to be a 4x12? Rob made a good suggestion.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That is a little confusing.

I'd rather have Vintage 30s BTW.

If that one cab you listed has not had the speakers swapped out with something crappy and they can tell you what the ohms are it might be a consideration. Ask him to take off one of the side handles and get a picture of the speakers inside.

If you run 2 cabs at once and you run them out of the 2 parallel speaker outs on the amp (as I would do it) then 2 - 16 ohm cabs means you set the amp to 8.
2 - 8 ohm cabs means you set the amp to 4. What you said would be incorrect/opposite.

Yes, $300 for a 1960A cab is a good deal as long as the wiring isn't messed up and the speakers are good. I'd be afraid the original speakers were removed and/or the original jack plate/wiring was screwed up.

Lastly, if you bought, for example, 2 - 16 ohm cabs and plugged in just 1 of those cabs then you would set the amp to 16 as well. If you plug in both of those cabs into the amp then you set the amp to 8 ohms. I know that may not make sense math wise but just remember that in parallel wiring you divide down and in series wiring you add together. Also, when it comes to impedance please keep in mind that the higher the number the greater the resistance so a 4 ohm cab will have less resistance than a 16 ohm cab.

Hope that helps.

PS: Why do you need two cabs again? Does it have to be Marshall and does it have to be a 4x12? Rob made a good suggestion.

Thanks for the help! I found another 4x12" Marshall 1960 lead cab, one with the original speakers for 300 euros and another (older) one for 200 euros with some new Celestion speakers in it. The speakers are two year old. Witch one would be the best deal?
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Thanks for the help! I found another 4x12" Marshall 1960 lead cab, one with the original speakers for 300 euros and another (older) one for 200 euros with some new Celestion speakers in it. The speakers are two year old. Witch one would be the best deal?

Depends on the actual speaker models in each.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
When I had my Windsor, it sounded great through g12t-100s. G12t-75s aren't quite the same, but they should be very close. If any of these cabs are in shops, they should be willing to open them up and make sure everything is original. If this is a craigslist sort of deal, I'd want to see the speakers myself before buying.