I would like to try and start recording for fun. I have ZERO experience in it but I do enjoy playing instruments. The reason why I want to record is that I want to try and jam with myself (lol) since I can;t find people to jam with.

What are the most basic equipment that I would need to start recording?

I have:
Shure SM-58 microphone
Fishman Loudbox mini amp
Fender Mustang II v2
Schecter Stealth C-1 Guitar
Yamaha DTX 400k ekit
A decent gaming pc, which I believe could be able to handle basic recording requirements.

I believe that I'd need an audio interface, if you can recommend something below $100 that would be awesome (I can also buy used ones, would you recommend it?). Again, I have zero knowledge about recording and this might just be another impulse buy for me, but I believe i'll enjoy it!
Quote by hahahahaha014
I would like to try and start recording for fun. I have ZERO experience in it but I do enjoy playing instruments. The reason why I want to record is that I want to try and jam with myself (lol) since I can;t find people to jam with.

What are the most basic equipment that I would need to start recording?

I have:
Shure SM-58 microphone
Fishman Loudbox mini amp
Fender Mustang II v2
Schecter Stealth C-1 Guitar
Yamaha DTX 400k ekit
A decent gaming pc, which I believe could be able to handle basic recording requirements.

I believe that I'd need an audio interface, if you can recommend something below $100 that would be awesome (I can also buy used ones, would you recommend it?). Again, I have zero knowledge about recording and this might just be another impulse buy for me, but I believe i'll enjoy it!

I have a gaming PC and it's totally fine for audio recording and processing, so wouldn't worry about that. Even now mid-tower gaming pcs are more than capable.

I'll keep saying the Focusrite 2i2 is the perfect starter for an audio interface, even second hand. But a lot of other people suggest other brands like PreSonus or Behringer, I haven't used those models but they seem to be popular. A 2 input AI (audio interface) is more than enough if you're just doing everything that's not real physical drums, even with 2 inputs you can stack mics to record amps like a pro.

You would also need a DAW, a digital audio workstation. You can get free ones like Reaper - which is used by many people in the industry as a professional product, I personally prefer Cubase LE8, but if you'd rather not spend then don't feel you have to.

So you'd wire it up like:

Amp > Mic > Mic to Audio Interface > AI usb to PC > DAW

You can even go Guitar > AI > DAW, or Guitar > Amp > AI > DAW if you don't want to go through the amp and instead control volume via PC, if your amp supports that.

Recording does have a bit of a learning curve but if you keep at it you'll quickly find yourself to be quite competent in a short span of time; YouTube is a great source for tutorials and information. It is also a great way to jam with yourself, you can record a 20 second rhythm section, loop it, then just solo over the top of it - it's great fun and really rewarding.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
I have a gaming PC and it's totally fine for audio recording and processing, so wouldn't worry about that. Even now mid-tower gaming pcs are more than capable.

I'll keep saying the Focusrite 2i2 is the perfect starter for an audio interface, even second hand. But a lot of other people suggest other brands like PreSonus or Behringer, I haven't used those models but they seem to be popular. A 2 input AI (audio interface) is more than enough if you're just doing everything that's not real physical drums, even with 2 inputs you can stack mics to record amps like a pro.

You would also need a DAW, a digital audio workstation. You can get free ones like Reaper - which is used by many people in the industry as a professional product, I personally prefer Cubase LE8, but if you'd rather not spend then don't feel you have to.

So you'd wire it up like:

Amp > Mic > Mic to Audio Interface > AI usb to PC > DAW

You can even go Guitar > AI > DAW, or Guitar > Amp > AI > DAW if you don't want to go through the amp and instead control volume via PC, if your amp supports that.

Recording does have a bit of a learning curve but if you keep at it you'll quickly find yourself to be quite competent in a short span of time; YouTube is a great source for tutorials and information. It is also a great way to jam with yourself, you can record a 20 second rhythm section, loop it, then just solo over the top of it - it's great fun and really rewarding.

Thank you so much! I will watch more videos about it
Quote by hahahahaha014
Thank you so much! I will watch more videos about it

If you're into metal/hard rock i'd recommend watching Fluff/Ryan Bruce on YouTube, he often does tutorials or explanations of how he mixed/recorded certain things. Don't worry if it goes over your head, it's more about appreciating the work involved and being inspired to see what you can do.

Like here's his home recording tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfLKaQq4to&index=4&list=PL3gffKm0tqiL9T5zmoSZDCYQL2ffJUGjO
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I agree with above that the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 is a really good starter interface. The two most important things (IMO) are getting good clean recorded sources (no room noise, electrical buzzing, background BS, ect), and then applying smart and tasteful mixing decisions to individual tracks and then the master. I think you can go a REALLY long way with a cheap interface as long as youre meeting those other two goals exceptionally well. But if you spend a load on a nice interface and you suck at mixing, well your recording will suck in the end
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
I The two most important things (IMO) are getting good clean recorded sources (no room noise, electrical buzzing, background BS, ect),

This first point is the best advice anyone can ever give you - if you are recording in a room with ANY noticeable noise - cpu fan noise, air conditioner etc. the recording will sound terrible and be essentially amateur sounding - getting a clean and quiet recording is 90% of the battle.
Quote by reverb66
This first point is the best advice anyone can ever give you - if you are recording in a room with ANY noticeable noise - cpu fan noise, air conditioner etc. the recording will sound terrible and be essentially amateur sounding - getting a clean and quiet recording is 90% of the battle.

To be honest it's why I always prefer to say go straight into a DAW and use plug-ins or in DAW pre-made amps/cabs etc. Because home recording is a bit of a misnomer these days; I would say if you're recording the amp via mic into DAW you're in the minority now, especially with the possibility of re-amping. It's much less hassle to go straight into the DAW.

You really, really don't need to mic an amp up if your home recording as a non-professional.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
To be honest it's why I always prefer to say go straight into a DAW and use plug-ins or in DAW pre-made amps/cabs etc. Because home recording is a bit of a misnomer these days; I would say if you're recording the amp via mic into DAW you're in the minority now, especially with the possibility of re-amping. It's much less hassle to go straight into the DAW.

You really, really don't need to mic an amp up if your home recording as a non-professional.

Now that I look at it, my amp does not have a line-out. So my only option then is to mic it?
Quote by hahahahaha014
Now that I look at it, my amp does not have a line-out. So my only option then is to mic it?

You can go direct with your audio interface and record the dry signal of the guitar into the DAW. Then you can use Amp Sims and IRs to shape your sound.

It's usually best to do that if you don't have an acoustically treated room. And I think that amp sims would yield better results than mic'ing the Mustang. But that's just my opinion obviously, ymmv.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
You can go direct with your audio interface and record the dry signal of the guitar into the DAW. Then you can use Amp Sims and IRs to shape your sound.

It's usually best to do that if you don't have an acoustically treated room. And I think that amp sims would yield better results than mic'ing the Mustang. But that's just my opinion obviously, ymmv.

Ahhh, thanks! So I guess, it's best to just use plugins than an actual amp. I'll read a lot more about these to understand techniques and tips, etc.

On a side note, is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or one of the cheaper M-audio units good enough in place of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
Don't get M-Audio, they're awful. Look up Mackie. The 2i2 has issues with instrument inputs clipping on some guitars, so I wouldn't risk it, get the Mackie unless you need midi

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Onyx-Blackjack-Recording-Interface/dp/B003VZG550%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003VZG550

I wouldn't knock recording a miked amp, there's something about moving real air that still can't be captured with Sims.
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by hahahahaha014
Ahhh, thanks! So I guess, it's best to just use plugins than an actual amp. I'll read a lot more about these to understand techniques and tips, etc.

On a side note, is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or one of the cheaper M-audio units good enough in place of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

You can try mic'ing the amp though, it certainly won't hurt! Then record a dry track with your guitar going direct to the interface and use plugins. Compare the sounds and see which one is best.

The main difference between the Solo and the 2i2 is that the 2i2 has one more mic input. I don't think there are much other differences in terms of preamps and stuff, but I may be wrong.

Some people have reported clipping problems with the Solo and 2i2 when going direct. But Anthony1991 for instance didn't had problems with clipping on the 2i2 (I think it was him who said in a thread that he didn't had any problems). If it's worth the risk or not, it's up to you.

Personally, I would suggest a Mackie Onyx Blackjack or an used 2i4. The 2i4 has a 10db pad to solve the clipping issues.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 22, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
Some people have reported clipping problems with the Solo and 2i2 when going direct. But Anthony1991 for instance didn't had problems with clipping on the 2i2 (I think it was him who said in a thread that he didn't had any problems). If it's worth the risk or not, it's up to you.

Yeah that was me I've never had any of the issues people have brought up, and, to be absolutely fair, I know a fair few people who have a 2i2/4 or bought one after seeing mine and have never had any issues. I mean here's my soundcloud, which has a bunch of metal/hard rock/rock/pop/electronic things: https://soundcloud.com/tornintegral

Just for reference, when someone says 'clipping' they mean the audio being recorded is not being captured in pristine condition, meaning it's becoming distorted and useless. I honestly swear by the Focusrite 2i2, it's solid construction and I've absolutely no issues, either physical or in regards to setting up the software - it came out the box and was perfect, I love it.

Oh and just a side note because I bet this is getting confusing, Audio Interfaces are basically a sound card for laptops/computers. They drive the sound to more or less be the best it can be, so you can think of the audio interface as a replacement sound card.

Quote by diabolical
Don't get M-Audio, they're awful. Look up Mackie. The 2i2 has issues with instrument inputs clipping on some guitars, so I wouldn't risk it, get the Mackie unless you need midi

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Onyx-Blackjack-Recording-Interface/dp/B003VZG550%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003VZG550

I wouldn't knock recording a miked amp, there's something about moving real air that still can't be captured with Sims.

M-Audio products can be... awkward, I'd advise not getting one of their products unless it's one of the top of the line ones where they actually keep the driver download page up (I'm looking at your Air Mini 32).

Don't get me wrong, micing an expensive amp is totally worth it. But if that amp is not in an isolated area where it can be cranked to get the most out of it... kind of why bother? An amp sim/plug-in etc is more than fine for someone that's not recording professionally - I'd even say that doing an album using good plug-ins and sims is totally fine if you're a small band. You need not incur studio expenses these days without absolutely needing to. I'd rather re-amp than record straight from the amp if i'm at home. But we digress and are probably making this harder for TS

So to record into the DAW:

Guitar > Guitar cable to Audio Interface > Interface USB to PC > PC to DAW

Inside the DAW you would need to set the Device Input/Set up to be linked to your Audio Interface, this will switch the audio drivers on your computer to the audio interface (don't use ASIO or something else, make sure you select the name of your AI).

You then want to create an audio track, and set it to record in mono. This is super important and something no one really mentioned when i started, and it caused really annoying problems. Inside the DAW on the audio track, there should be an effects tab or something like that, in there you should be able to navigate towards amps simulators, cabs, and other guitar pedal effects.

I can't comment on the how much there is in regards to amps/tones inside Reaper, but Cubase LE8 has an absolute tonne of high quality one.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by hahahahaha014
https://www.long-mcquade.com/index.php?page=products&ProductsID=50603

What do you think of the Presonus iOne? Looks the same, just 1 mic input.
BTW thanks for the advice!

Don't get that, I'd say get one that has the capability to take both a mic XLR and guitar 1/4 jack
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
The PreSonus iOne? To me it looks like the headphone jack is the same as instrument, unless you use an adaptor?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I can't comment on the how much there is in regards to amps/tones inside Reaper, but Cubase LE8 has an absolute tonne of high quality one.

Reaper doesn't have any amp sims and stuff like that, but it has amazing plugins for mixing, recording, doing some mastering, etc. They are simple to use, but very very effective.

TS, if you need amp sims and IRs, check out this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

I highly recommend Lepou's sims and TSE's stuff. They are free and better than some of the paid amp sims. Just be sure to use good IRs (you can find good free IRs on that thread as well) and you're good to go.
Quote by Anthony1991
The PreSonus iOne? To me it looks like the headphone jack is the same as instrument, unless you use an adaptor?

Two separate inputs, one xlr and one 1/4, look at the pic he posted.
Still no midi in case he'll need it, but most devices come with USB midi now, so I guess that's no deal breaker.
Quote by DanyFS
Reaper doesn't have any amp sims and stuff like that, but it has amazing plugins for mixing, recording, doing some mastering, etc. They are simple to use, but very very effective.

TS, if you need amp sims and IRs, check out this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

I highly recommend Lepou's sims and TSE's stuff. They are free and better than some of the paid amp sims. Just be sure to use good IRs (you can find good free IRs on that thread as well) and you're good to go.

I love Reaper. There are a few basic amp sims built in, but your best bet is to download Lepou stuff or buy some Peavey revalver sims. Theyre fun to use and sound great.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I learned a lot just by reading these! Another question, what do you think of the Steinberg brand?
Quote by hahahahaha014
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I learned a lot just by reading these! Another question, what do you think of the Steinberg brand?

I've only used their software but I'd say they're a great brand. I mean there was a while when it wasn't so hot, but in the last few years they've been knocking it out the park.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster